FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

I'm not sure this is exactly the right place.... and yes I've done some searches..... but here goes.

I'm looking for some good event printing solutions, including portrait sessions at weddings. I've looked at several brands of printers, including Sony, Olmec, Mitsubishi, DNP, HiTouch etc.

I have a leaning towards the Mitsubishi double deck CP-D707DW (for both higher throughput and redundancy), but I'm still looking with an open mind.

I've also looked at the Mitsubishi Click and IT5000 touch screens that clients can use to view images. But, the 'red' printers that run with these systems won't run on PC / Mac and the 'grey' printers that run on PC/Mac don't run on the Click/IT5000 systems. Stupid Mitsubishi!

Another concern is having only one terminal, when really I'd like the option for 2,3 or more so that people aren't kept waiting and lose interest.

I know there are lots of solutions out there for Windows (I'd like Mac, but if I must, I'll use Windows <sigh>, such as Darkroom, EPS, 5 Min Photo etc, but I'm having a hard time finding much information about any of them, and in particular how the multiple terminals work, and the 'sales workflow' that goes with them.

Sooooo....... do you do onsite event printing? If so, what gear do you use? What software / hardware solutions do you use and what is the sales workflow like from display of images to selection, printing etc?

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:53 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

For my photobooth I use a Polaroid printer thingie. It's a little slow, it's small though and can run on batteries. It's also completely inkless and cheaper than having an inkjet onsite. If you're serious about printing onsite (which I'm not really interested in), you're probably going to be better off carting around a color laser printer around as well as a dedicated computer so you can print very quickly without much trouble.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:32 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

Dye sub is going to be a lot better than either inkjet or colour laser for events and weddings.

The real question is the software.....

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

When I worked at Kodak they had some great dye sub printers, only problem was it took about a minute for each photo to print out because it did the 4 passes.

The one I'd consider is the Kodak 6800, and they're down to a price on ebay that make them a steal, I think. Here's a video of one -

The print kits are also on ebay.

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:05 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

You might want to check in in the Sports forum (yes, there are actually other forums here!) as I know some guys on there print on site.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

Will Patterson wrote:
When I worked at Kodak they had some great dye sub printers, only problem was it took about a minute for each photo to print out because it did the 4 passes.

The one I'd consider is the Kodak 6800, and they're down to a price on ebay that make them a steal, I think. Here's a video of one -

The print kits are also on ebay.

Dye sub all the way.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

Thank guys. It's not the printer I worried about. I think I have that sorted.

IT'S THE SOFTWARE !!!!!

Darkroom etc are way too complicated. Too many screens to go to and things to fill out. I want SIMPLE. client says I like THIS picture, may me one.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:34 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

Dave_EP wrote:
Thank guys. It's not the printer I worried about. I think I have that sorted.

IT'S THE SOFTWARE !!!!!

Darkroom etc are way too complicated. Too many screens to go to and things to fill out. I want SIMPLE. client says I like THIS picture, may me one.

But Dye Sub!!!

This is a better question for the sports forum, as they do this quite frequently for gymnastics and such. I hate all of the software for these sorts of things and was starting on a project to write my own, but have not gotten very far.

Most of the wedding photographers who do this sort of thing are doing it for entrance shots/photobooths in which case you print every one. Much easier.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Onsite Printing / Event Photo Printing

SloPhoto wrote:
But Dye Sub!!!

Dye sub is the way. That;s a done deal. Inkjet is not good for sweaty hands. Colour Laser is not up to the task. Dye Sub is where it's at.

This is a better question for the sports forum, as they do this quite frequently for gymnastics and such. I hate all of the software for these sorts of things and was starting on a project to write my own, but have not gotten very far.

Well, after 20 years of software development myself, I may just end up doing that. I've sorta kinda looked at it and I reckon 3 weeks start to finish. I just need to stop shooting long enough to have three weeks of awake time

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.