Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A rare stage shot for me.

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A rare stage shot for me.

I do family weddings, high school grads and school plays just for family historical reasons and because I am the guy with the camera.

Last fall my grand daughter (same one who took that landscape image) was in a play. No tripod, no flash, no place to stand and not much light. So I got a front seat and took some available light hand held shots. This is not my grand daughter, but was one of the shots I sort of liked from the play.

I always wondered what a critical audience would think?

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    140mm    f/3.2    1/125s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · A rare stage shot for me.

I'm thinking ... IQ is pretty darn good @ that ISO, as is WB and wondering what lens you used (assuming 70-200/2.8 variety) with or without IS, PP or sooc ... still showing a little bit of pop/depth/micro-contrast etc., with nice tonal transitions in both the highlights and shadows. Technically ... it makes me sit up and take notice, considering the challenges of typical high school stage productions.

I think you've done a nice job of capturing "the moment" as she is "pointedly" telling him something and she is commanding his attention. All in all, I find it to be quite fine for that kind of a shot. Nothing really to offer in "how to improve" upon it.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · A rare stage shot for me.

Thanks Rusty. This was a 70-200 f2.8 IS. The moment is what I liked about this. I think I was shooting in burst mode. I do this sometimes when I am not sure what to expect.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:16 PM
evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · A rare stage shot for me.

Great shot! The only thing I would suggest would be to get a little closer (If possible). IMO, the DOF is a little deep. The only other suggestion would be to go farther back in the Theater so it could be more level (again, if possible). Other than that, great shot!

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · A rare stage shot for me.

I thought the DOF looked surprisingly deep at 3.2 ... not really a nit, just a surprise, maybe a product of downsampling.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · A rare stage shot for me.

evillemperor wrote:
Great shot! The only thing I would suggest would be to get a little closer (If possible). IMO, the DOF is a little deep. The only other suggestion would be to go farther back in the Theater so it could be more level (again, if possible). Other than that, great shot!

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried f2.8 but the lens is not super sharp wide open and if you mis focus, you need a bit of dof.

As far as finding a spot I will keep in mind the level aspect, never thought of that.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · A rare stage shot for me.

RustyBug wrote:
I thought the DOF looked surprisingly deep at 3.2 ... not really a nit, just a surprise, maybe a product of downsampling.

Or cropping. I had to crop all of these shots.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · A rare stage shot for me.

Consider a tighter crop to remove the crotch issue and concentrate attention on the actors better:

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · A rare stage shot for me.

, nice one. Never even noticed.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:47 AM
sadja
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · A rare stage shot for me.

The crop is definitely better. I guess the guy was wearing a microphone. Cloning it out also improves things. Don't they train stage actors to project any more?

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · A rare stage shot for me.

High school kids, my grand daughter was only 14 at the time. They did a pretty good job on this Gershwin play. Yep, several were wearing mikes. Also a very small rural school.

I showed this mostly because it is far from my normal photography experience, wanted to get some tips for next time.

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password