Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

hkula

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

Looking to use a 60 inch or larger umbrella with my Bowens Strobes. I am concerned that the umbrella bracket on the Bowens reflector may not support the weight. Has anyone come up with an alternate way of mounting umbrella's to Bowens Strobes. I guess the alternate mounting arrangement would also support bare bulb usage.

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

You're absolutely right in worrying about the weight of a 60" umbrella on a Bowens reflector. I popped the rivets off my umbrella mount on a Bowens reflector with a Calumet 60" umbrella. Here's what I now do. I always use C-stands for my monolights. So you can set up your Bowens light with whatever reflector you'd normally use, and then nest another C-stand right behind it (that's why they have adjustable, offset legs). Fit the top of this C-stand with a standard metal umbrella swivel and place your 60" umbrella in it. Then its just a matter of lining the two up. There's no stress on the Bowens reflector and you can move the C-stand-with-umbrella to any distance you want from the flash to suit your lighting need. Works great...I speak from experience.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:54 PM
jfnphotography
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

Don't have a Bowens.
What about something like this? I like the metal ones better then plasic ones.
http://www.adorama.com/LTUSH.html

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

That's the kind of swivel adapter I mentioned in my post above. Stick it on another light stand and you're good to go.

Aug 11, 2012 at 03:43 AM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternate way of mounting umbrella

IMO the most reliable & robust umbrella stand adapter is the Manfrotto 026 Swivel Umbrella Adapter. I own half-a-dozen and none has ever failed.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password