Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · image brightness before printing

p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · image brightness before printing

Hi Chaps,

for sometime now when i have images printed at my favorite labs, the colours come back fine and the brightness is ok. moniter is profiled and run soft proofs etc.

From experience and having multiple sets printed, optimised and non optimised it was always the same, my prints came back dark. therefore i no that my screen luminace is a touch bright for editing resulting in darker prints. however i like the screen to be slightly that way as, i suppose like many it has to me a multi purpose screen.

so when i edit an image and before i send it off i will always adjust the print brightness using the levels command and drag the middle slider to +10 knowing that that is just the right amount.

as with anything in PS there is a multitude of ways of doing things. is levels the right choice to increase the print brightness before sending the file.?

thanks,

simon

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:01 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · image brightness before printing

You may be running with your display to bright even though its profiled therefore your images are darker the they look on screen most users including myself like their screen bright. The middle levels slider may not be the best way to adjust for printing. The middle slider I think adjust the gamma of the image the midtone. I do my own printing and add a Brightness and Contrast adjustment layer and boost the brightness 10 to 20 % before printing. I do not boost the brightness when I save images for the web for most users run their displays bright.

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · image brightness before printing

I believe levels is the correct tool. But you might want to experiment with the output level slider. With my printer, I always adjust the zero level in the image up to 20 for the output to the printer. Of course, that adjustment looks terrible on the screen with all the blacks gone, but it works wonders for the prints.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · image brightness before printing

The real correct way is to calibrate your screen at the right luminance for your ambient light, profile it, and be done with it. All this nonsense of tweaking the files to make them print right is not the best way to go about it. It's almost like what we used to do back in the days before ICC profiles. My suggestion is to calibrate to the proper luminance for printing and get used to it for everything else. It'll be much easier on your eyes as well if your screen is not too bright. Less fatigue. Better color perception.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · image brightness before printing

Use the proper settings, or find a way to build the luminance change into your softproofing.

If you really need a brighter monitor, calibrate it at the lower luminance, and record the monitors brightness setting.

Boost the monitor brightness before your non critical tasks, and back it back down when you go to edit.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM
nelvayut
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · image brightness before printing

The right way is to calibrate your monitor properly with the right luminance, so that you don't need to do any adjustments.
I usually print my own images including the large prints but recently I send it to the lab because my printer died. I don't make any changes/adjustment on the brightness whether its for web or for print. Whatever I see on my monitor, is the same brightness on my prints.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:19 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · image brightness before printing

I do the same things and have the same problems and agree that the solution is a calibrated monitor. What tool works well for calibrating an iMac monitor to a printer? I have an old Spyder 2 but I don't think it works with Mac. Could be wrong though....

Thanks,
Keith

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:50 PM
therock
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · image brightness before printing

I use an i1 Display2 and calibrate for a 105 luminance and get good results. I'm not a pro, and I use what is convenient for friends and family, Wal-Mart/Costco WHC for the biggies.
If I can find their printer profiles I proof them. When I went to the 105 it all came together. My eyes love me for it too.

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · image brightness before printing

I'd use curves but I'd also just adjust my monitor. I have a fairly cheapo Samsung 245bw and I have the brightness at 42%. Prints from Lightjets and the like come back quite accurately.

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:08 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · image brightness before printing

Even w/ a monitor setting of 95 cd/m2, I find myself generally setting Lightroom to +20 Brightness in the Print module. I dont really want to set the monitor much dimmer.

Aug 13, 2012 at 07:45 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · image brightness before printing

as i noted in the op, i do not want to adjust the brightness to a lower value, and also, as noted i am also aware of what i should be doing.
however i have had very good success doing what i am doing, i just wanted to know if that was the best way.

thanks for thoughts upon this issue.

simon

Aug 13, 2012 at 01:13 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · image brightness before printing

This is a great discussion I have been experiencing the same problem as I'm a rookie and literally bought a printer a few days ago and was wondering what the hell I was doing wrong. Thanks for all the great tips

Aug 14, 2012 at 08:59 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.