Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?
  
 
treepop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


I am curious if any wedding photographers have switched from the 5D2 to the D800. If so, what is your experience? Was it worth the supreme headache? Is it true that achieving tack sharp focus on the D800 is much trickier than with other systems?

Don't think I will take the plunge, just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks!


PS. Please don't post if you have nothing constructive to say. I know that:
I should go out and just shoot
it's the photographer not the camera
if I am asking this question I am obviously an idiot and should not be shooting weddings
my mother was a hamster and my father smelt of elderberries



Aug 09, 2012 at 06:38 PM
LivLif
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


treepop wrote:
Is it true that achieving tack sharp focus on the D800 is much trickier than with other systems?


No. It isn't any harder to get a good image than any other camera in my experience. What is a pain is processing the files. They just take longer to import, export, etc. Otherwise, it's a great camera to use. The resolution and DR are pretty insane.

Not being a smart arse, but if your not considering the change why ask the question?



Aug 09, 2012 at 07:15 PM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


There's a thread about this in the nikon forum. I'm still waiting to decide if it is worth the trouble, currently my second D800 is on the way and will arrive tomorrow.

Focus lock is excellent with center point on the D800, more consistent than the 5d2 from my experience...even with my D800 that had AF issues on outer points (especially left side).

D800 is a very nice camera with many desirable features, including several the 5d3 doesn't have (active-point spot metering, EV adjustment with Auto ISO, huge dynamic range at base ISO, etc.) The camera is very responsive, the AF system is very responsive (with 85 f/1.8g), the tracking system is accurate.



Aug 09, 2012 at 07:17 PM
sboerup
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


5D3 is just as equivalent in so many regards to the D800 that there really is no reason to switch brands at this point. D800 is better for landscapes. Sharpness is about dead equal, colors are about equal, D800 has better edge in shadows, but the 5D3 functionality it is a better body all around.


Aug 09, 2012 at 07:18 PM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


The #1 best advantage the 5d3 has over the D800....is that you can mount Canon lenses on it. Others like the 2fps faster burst mode, and the video mode tolerates higher ISOs with less IQ deterioration. Otherwise, there isn't a lot of functional difference between them...


Aug 09, 2012 at 07:26 PM
lisy78
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


I switched from 5D2 to D700 and now use D800

Having had a chance to play with the 5D3 I would not switch if I were using Canon... the 5D3 is good enough that it would be kind of silly to switch due to the body.

That said, I absolutely LOVE my D800... the file size thing is exagerated and there are other things I can do with a D800 that I couldn't with a 5D3 so yeah I wouldn't switch but I woudl (unknowingly probably) be missing out.

Then again the 600 flashes would be a stronger incentive to stay on the Canon side than any ohter improvment on the 5D3 (well beyond focusing)

And reports that it's trickier to focus are clearly the result of either people who are NOT comparing apples to apples, or people with a bad camera... or just plain ignorant peeps



Aug 09, 2012 at 08:14 PM
paregorike
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


lisy78 wrote:
I switched from 5D2 to D700 and now use D800

Having had a chance to play with the 5D3 I would not switch if I were using Canon... the 5D3 is good enough that it would be kind of silly to switch due to the body.

That said, I absolutely LOVE my D800... the file size thing is exagerated and there are other things I can do with a D800 that I couldn't with a 5D3 so yeah I wouldn't switch but I woudl (unknowingly probably) be missing out.

Then again the 600 flashes would be a stronger incentive to stay on the
...Show more

I mostly agree with your assessment. If 5D III had the same mega pixels and DR then it would be the ultimate camera. I shoot both (not at the same time). I also read something about the WB not being accurate on the LCD screen. My eyes aren't that discerning so I can't tell. Either way, you can't go wrong with any system or camera. When I shoot Nikon for a while then use the 5DIII, I find the 5D III extremely pleasing ergonomically. AF is pretty much spot on on the 5DIII.

Ron




Aug 09, 2012 at 10:23 PM
SloPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


I went from 1ds mkII bodies to d700/d3/d800 within the last 8 months. (and have worked with plenty of 5d mkII files)

The d800 af calibration issues are real. Neglecting that, it is NOT hard to get sharp photos with 36mp and the files really are glorious.

That being said, while I find the flash metering to be better and far prefer the files, had the 5dmkIII been announced before I started the switch... I would not have bothered.



Aug 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



treepop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


Interesting comments and perspectives. Thanks for the feedback guys/gals!



Aug 10, 2012 at 03:21 AM
mccallmedia
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


I know Chip Litherland recently made the switch from 5d2's to a d800/d700 combo. Sounds like it wasn't too much hassle. There's a writeup on his gear by photo brigade too.


Aug 10, 2012 at 06:43 AM
treepop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


mccallmedia wrote:
I know Chip Litherland recently made the switch from 5d2's to a d800/d700 combo. Sounds like it wasn't too much hassle. There's a writeup on his gear by photo brigade too.


Interesting find. Thank you!



Aug 10, 2012 at 01:59 PM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


Got my second D800 today...and it seems like it's very hard to MISS focus with this one. I think every single point I tried nailed every single shot the first time, no misses out of about 50 shots.


Aug 10, 2012 at 10:41 PM
LivLif
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


form wrote:
Got my second D800 today...and it seems like it's very hard to MISS focus with this one. I think every single point I tried nailed every single shot the first time, no misses out of about 50 shots.


Congrats!



Aug 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


Yes...now comes the LONG road to transition. I think I will always keep two Canon cameras just for tilt-shift, and possibly for 50L. The rest...Nikon can do just about as well (24, 35, 85, 14-24, 70-200). That's $10k just in lenses, where the Canon equivalents are unfortunately a lot less valuable (70-200 and 85L II excepted).


Aug 11, 2012 at 01:01 AM
treepop
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


form wrote:
Yes...now comes the LONG road to transition. I think I will always keep two Canon cameras just for tilt-shift, and possibly for 50L. The rest...Nikon can do just about as well (24, 35, 85, 14-24, 70-200). That's $10k just in lenses, where the Canon equivalents are unfortunately a lot less valuable (70-200 and 85L II excepted).


Valuable or expensive?



Aug 12, 2012 at 05:20 AM
form
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone go from 5D2 to D800?


In this instance, what's the difference?

In the instance of precious jewelry, what's the difference?

In the instance of cars, houses, etc. as purchasable items, what's the difference?



Aug 12, 2012 at 01:53 PM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password