end

Archive 2012 · Red Flags

tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Red Flags

form wrote:
Ohhh oh I forgot one!

6. "Your xxx is fine, but I will only pay half up front and then the other half after I receive the photos." OR...."I will only pay after I get the photos" OR any other variation of that.

. Yup, you're definitely dealing with budget brides.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM
form
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Red Flags

I don't want to jump through hoops to get a client NOW, because if I had to jump through hoops just to get them, then I can only have nightmares about the hoops I will have to jump through LATER to make them happy. I'm not going to kiss ass or say "NOooo I want you to book me PLEASES BOOKZ0R ME (IRC slang) OHH YES I WANT YOUR BUSINESS SO BAD I WILL KNEEL ON THE GROUND AND KISS YOUR FEET"

I don't mind having a second photog. I know that my photos will show complexion flaws and creases to some degree, and I will not get rid of all of them because 1. I can't, and 2. it would look like a different person if I could. Furthermore, IMO if a prospective client can see skin pores in the photos from a photographer who smoothes skin to the point of not being able to see ANY pores whatsoever....then that client is OMFG picky about cosmetic details, which translates to excessive self-consciousness.

If a client is like the above and is thinking of hiring me, no amount of money would be worth my working with them. I have worked with one couple like that, and it was VERY painful.

I don't mind people who are confident, but I mind people who think they are god's gift to the world and demand things exactly this way and that way. That is called a bridezilla.

TheGE wrote:
Sounds more to me like you don't know how to handle these objections.

On top of that, if a prospective couple are telling you these things such as wondering if you photographing them will show their blemishes, feel better if you provided a second photog., negotiate price - even the "so-and-so is giving me this for $XXXX" - all that suggests they're thinking of hiring you or they wouldn't be bothering doing any of that. At least, it could be.

And you're shooting them down, calling them red flags instead if recognizing them as buying signals. And then testing to see
...Show more

Edited by Fred Miranda on Aug 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Red Flags

form wrote:
I don't want price-shoppers telling me they can get "magic omfg huge time plus extra photogs plus blah blah for this great price" and then jewing me down

Reported. Shame.

- trr

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Red Flags

form wrote:
I don't want to jump through hoops to get a client NOW, because if I had to jump through hoops just to get them, then I can only have nightmares about the hoops I will have to jump through LATER to make them happy. I'm not going to kiss ass or say "NOooo I want you to book me PLEASES BOOKZ0R ME (IRC slang) OHH YES I WANT YOUR BUSINESS SO BAD I WILL KNEEL ON THE GROUND AND KISS YOUR FEET"

It's not jumping through hoops when a client expresses some concerns or wishes to negotiate. That's a far cry from someone with true red flags which indicate potential problems.

All you're showing me is that you don't know how to correctly handle these things.

And that you don't care to.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:06 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Red Flags

Aww fine I'll use a more PC term...doesn't matter what ethnicity I am, of course, just who is going to be offended...this planet, full of the most easily-injured, lawsuit-happy creatures ever. 30 years ago, people barely knew what PC was...now the culture has ingrained this hypersensitivity into 99.9% of the people, to the point where everyone feels both an obligation to exaggerate the relevance of old race/gender-oriented colloquialisms used in light humor (I bet you agree with the associated stereotype, which is 100% hypocritical) and a duty to complain about them.

Years into the future, when you discover that the persons responsible for perpetuating such a culture of hypersensitivity are actually the most racist, hateful and biased human beings on the planet, you probably will still think that you did the right thing...

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:08 PM
form
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Red Flags

TheGE wrote:
It's not jumping through hoops when a client expresses some concerns or wishes to negotiate. That's a far cry from someone with true red flags which indicate potential problems.

All you're showing me is that you don't know how to correctly handle these things.

And that you don't care to.

Whatever gratifies your need to be right about how wrong I am.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:15 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Red Flags

form wrote:
"Your xxx is fine, but I will only pay half up front and then the other half after I receive the photos." OR...."I will only pay after I get the photos"

Never have heard that one. I get 100% upfront, never a question about that from a client.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:33 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Red Flags

TRReichman wrote:
Reported.

Mr. PC.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Red Flags

Not to go too off-topic, but 30 years ago, 60% of the country was openly racist enough to respond when polled that they disapproved of interracial marriage. The term "PC" irks me because I see it used an awful lot by folks who are grumpy that they've got to shield their bigotries a bit more now than in the Good Old Days. Not calling you a bigot, form, but yeah...talking about how things were better when disenfranchised folks had fewer means of challenging the majority doesn't do you many favors.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/iz9s4ieareep_q3xhp2edg.gif

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:43 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.