Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Copyright Question

peterbosox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Copyright Question

I'm doing a show at a local gallery where my photos will be for sale. One photo I have copyright questions that will base whether it is included with my other photos for sale or not.

It is a beach/surf landscape shot with a bottle of Corona at the surfline. I titled it "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere".

Now because the Corona bottle is a big part of the photo, can I legally sell it?
Also, the title of the photo is also the title of a song. Can I sell it based on the title?

Thanks

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Copyright Question

Someone more knowledgeable that me in this matter will hopefully come along to confirm (and I'm not a lawyer), but my understanding is that if you are selling it as art, you're fine. You would not be able to sell the image commercially (i.e. for a bar to advertise with).

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:23 PM
peterbosox
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Copyright Question

Yes, this would be sold as art. Printed, framed photo to a gallery walkin customer.

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Copyright Question

It's not a copyright question, it's a trademark question...
I don't know about the song title but it seems that wouldn't be a problem. Heck there are songs that have the same title.
If it is "art" you should be on pretty safe ground. But I know next to nothin.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Copyright Question

If you were selling it for use in advertisement, then I would see an issue. If you took a photo of an old Studebaker rusting away in a field, and sold it in a gallery, you wouldn't owe Studebaker anything. Just about everything made is trademarked. I'm not giving legal advice, just posting an opinion. There has to be a rule of thumb, so as to not require an attorney in your camera bag.

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:58 PM
jojosung
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Copyright Question

On the extreme example.. Andy Warhol mimic those Campbell soup can label.. I'm sure the can labels were a big part of his painting.. yet, he's seems to be doing okay.. b/c it's ART.

Aug 13, 2012 at 02:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Copyright Question

jojosung wrote:
On the extreme example.. Andy Warhol mimic those Campbell soup can label.. I'm sure the can labels were a big part of his painting.. yet, he's seems to be doing okay.. b/c it's ART.

Warhol is dead which might be ok with some but perhaps not Andy's preference.

Jman13 wrote:
my understanding is that if you are selling it as art, you're fine. You would not be able to sell the image commercially (i.e. for a bar to advertise with).

+1

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
If you were selling it for use in advertisement, then I would see an issue.

+2

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
If you took a photo of an old Studebaker rusting away in a field, and sold it in a gallery, you wouldn't owe Studebaker anything.

Studebaker's dead too.

Aug 13, 2012 at 06:57 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Copyright Question

Yes, you can display and sell a print as a work of art. If you get into poster production, you can run into problems. I'm not sure of the legal logic behind that distinction, but the courts have made such a distinction.

I've seen a situation pass court muster where the artist merely enlarged a portion of someone else's comic book cover art, making the slightest of changes, and called it his own "art."

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:30 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Copyright Question

Good thing this discussion was short, otherwise it would have run into my new law:

RDKirk's Law of Copyright Discourse:

"As any discussion about any facet of copyright grows longer, the probability of the RIAA being used as an example in arguments opposing copyright approaches 1."

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:16 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Copyright Question

I know a professional artist (pen and ink drawings he reproduces for sale, usually in a 11x14 size or small poster size) who made an image showing a VW bug (new one) as the focus of his drawing.

He was sued by VW corp and had a lengthy and expensive legal fight.

He lost.

The bug shape is a trademark of the VW corp.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:05 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Copyright Question

If you're uncertain and concerned, just clone out the brand name in photoshop.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:47 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Copyright Question

Steady Hand wrote:
I know a professional artist (pen and ink drawings he reproduces for sale, usually in a 11x14 size or small poster size) who made an image showing a VW bug (new one) as the focus of his drawing.

He was sued by VW corp and had a lengthy and expensive legal fight.

He lost.

The bug shape is a trademark of the VW corp.

What were the details? There have been other precedents where mass replicated art has been ruled as violations of trademarks, and cases where are bearing trademarks has been produced as limited samples presented in galleries have not.

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password