FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

rabbitmountain
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

This topic is continued from another thread, where I asked about a 1Ds2/5D3 combo. I got so many different opinions, that I am now considering a 1D3/5D3 combo instead, mainly because of better AF and high ISO noise performance. This topic is about asking you experienced 1.3x crop wedding shooters about your setup.

I have the following questions about 1.3x crop cameras used for weddings:

1. By far the most relevant: how is AF?

2. Which lenses do you use on your 1.3 crop camera?

3. Do you use a 1.3x crop / FF combo and if so, do you always use the same lenses on a particular body or do you swap them according to your needs?

4. If you're shooting a 1D3, how about pixels and cropping? Do you feel like the 1D3 is good for weddings, or would you rather have more pixels?

Thanks a lot!

Stay good,
Ralph.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

Having to deal with different cameras is pain enough, having two different crops is just asking for even more confusion, but even asides from that the IQ from the 1D3 can't even compare to a 5d classic IMHO.

Weddings can be complicated and hectic enough as it is without adding on more layers of complexity. I much prefer being able to blindly grab a camera and automatically knowing where all controls are and what look I will get based on the lens attached.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:32 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

stevez32 wrote:
Having to deal with different cameras is pain enough, having two different crops is just asking for even more confusion, but even asides from that the IQ from the 1D3 can't even compare to a 5d classic IMHO.

Weddings can be complicated and hectic enough as it is without adding on more layers of complexity. I much prefer being able to blindly grab a camera and automatically knowing where all controls are and what look I will get based on the lens attached.

I agree. Whenever I pick up a new camera now, it takes me at least a minute to figure things out because I'm so used to our D700s. I know a lot of folks can switch fluidly, but yeah...I'm not one of them. Then again, lots of folks apparently go all day with a camera on each shoulder, and I can't do that either.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:40 AM
RudyProj

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

I shoot a 1DMKIV & 5DMKII. It took me a while to dial in my kit and processing, but I really like the versatility of the 1.3 + FF combo.

For example, a common small foot print kit I go with is both cameras and a 16-35 zoom plus an 85 prime. That give me 35mm equiv FLs of 16-45, 85, 110. That is pretty much all I need in most situations.

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:34 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

@Stephen: I guess it's different for everyone. Yes I wanted two FF bodies, and two identical ones are my preference too. But I've shot dozens of stuff with 5Dclassic + 40D, both gripped, both set to back button AF and near-identical button layout and they feel quite similar. About the IQ of 1D3 vs 5Dclassic: Yes I agree the 5D might be a tad better at high ISO, but what good is that if the image is not in focus?

@Rudy: what apertures do you typically shoot your 16-35? I have the mkII version and I find I need to stop down at least to f/4, and at least to f/5.6 in the 24-28 range. While I can shoot my 35L @f2.0 plenty sharp.
I do like your comment about the versatility of the dual sensor size setup though.

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:49 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

rabbitmountain wrote:
@Stephen: I guess it's different for everyone. Yes I wanted two FF bodies, and two identical ones are my preference too. But I've shot dozens of stuff with 5Dclassic + 40D, both gripped, both set to back button AF and near-identical button layout and they feel quite similar. About the IQ of 1D3 vs 5Dclassic: Yes I agree the 5D might be a tad better at high ISO, but what good is that if the image is not in focus?

The 5d and the 40d are almost identical in handling. The 1Danything though is very different in actual usage, have you shot a wedding with a prosumer and professional camera at the same time before? Yes it is do-able, but IMHO far from ideal, heavy and IMHO little benefit for weddings over the 5d. I've shot with the 1DIV and my 5DII side by side and didn't feel that the AF difference was worth even a few ounces in extra weight. But also I don't understand the big deal with people complaining about 5d focus (for weddings).

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:08 PM
RudyProj

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

I have no problem shooting the 16-35 @ 2.8.

If IQ is a top concern or if light is low then I swap the 16-35 for a 24. Combined w/ the 85 I then have 24,31,85 & 110 @ 1.4 or faster.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:10 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

1D / 1Ds combination works well.

With the 1ds MKIII being so close in price to the 1DmkIII right now, I am not sure that I would bother though.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:23 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

@Stephen: my 5D and 40D are gripped and similar in weight to the 1D3. No I haven't shot a wedding before using 1D and 5D series combined. I did shoot a sports event using that combo though. You are right, handling is different, but mostly button layout, not weight.

@Rudy: So you have a 24L. Is your 16-35 so sharp that you prefer it over the 24L because of versatility? I know mine isn't, especially @f/2.8.

@SloPhoto: A used 1D3 now costs about 1400 Euros. A used 1Ds3 goes for about 2400 Euros. At least here in the Netherlands.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:27 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

I used the 1d Mark III along with a 5D. The 1d was not wide enough with the 16-35mm f.8 so the 5D was needed for wide angle perspectives. I used primes and the 70-200mm f2.8 IS on the 1d where the 1.25 crop turned this zoom into a 250mm f2.8 IS lens which is great for the ceremony shots where I want a closeup of the couple or members of the wedding party.

Others use the 5D in combination with the 7D for the same reason with the 100mm and longer lenses on the 7D and the shorter lenses on the full frame camera.

I needed the much better autofocus in low light of the 1d Mark III camera and when the lights were turned down or off by the DJ I would turn to the 1d and my primes and put the 5D away for the rest of the night.

After switching to the Nikon D3 to get a full frame version of the 1d Mark III (now 3 years later Canon has finally released the 1D X) I still make use of a D300 1.5 crop camera to use with a couple of telephoto lenses (70-200mm f2.8 VR and Sigma 50-150mm f2.8).

All of my second shooters have used two different bodies to shoot for much the same reason and it has not been a problem switching back and forth between the cameras.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

rabbitmountain wrote:
I have the following questions about 1.3x crop cameras used for weddings:

I've used a 1D3 and a 5D2 combo for the past three years .. to answer your questions:

1) AF on the 1D3 is stellar once you have it set up correctly.
2) On my 1D3 the lens that gets the most use by far is my Sigma 85 1.4 .. also used a lot are my 135L and 70-200 2.8 IS. Tokina 11-16 2.8 every now & then.
3) For weddings both bodies are on me and in use at the same time .. generally I always have a 35L on my 5D2 and switch lenses on my 1D3.
4) More than enough pixels.

Aug 11, 2012 at 04:25 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

@elkhornsun and Mike:
Thank you for your input. I can only hope to find a good 1D3 sample because the one I once had for 2 weeks put me off, because I got 35% keepers shooting my kids in the playground, while they were standing still, using my 70-200mkII @f/2.8~f/4. Even for portraits, using One shot AF, I struggled with AF where my 5Dclassic nailed every shot. This 1DmkIII was clearly bad. But I have heard so many good things about the 1D3 here on FM that I might give it another go.
@Mike: For weddings, I really do like the idea of keeping the 35L on my 5Dclassic all the time and use the 1D3 with different lenses. I was thinking 70-200mkII, 85/1.8 and maybe even 16-35II.

Last question:
For shooting the couple moving towards me down the ailse, when paired with the 16-35II, would the 1D3 nail focus consistently if I put it in AI Servo, select a focus point on the bride's face, start shooting and zooming out simultaneously? I would probably use f/4.

Thanks!

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:47 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

My 1D3 is used for all moving aisle shots and my keeper rate is close to 100%. Perfect.
A slow moving bride is not much of a challenge for a 1D3

I will say that the 1D3 AF is misunderstood by many users .. having the correct custom function settings is critical. Canon has produced three or four documents on it's proper setup and they are well worth downloading and reading. Also suggest maximum frame rate set to 8fps, you will start to get some soft files at 9 or 10fps.

I'm on my way to a wedding now but if you have trouble finding the Canon documents just PM or email me and I'll send them to you tomorrow.

Aug 11, 2012 at 07:29 AM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 4 Q's for 1.3x crop wedding shooters

Thank you Mike and I wish your wedding turns out well. Why don't you share some "1D3 does bride walking down the aisle" shots (or other challenging AF shots for that matter) when you get back?

Now about your remarks:
When you say 1D3 AF is misunderstood by many users, the first thought that comes to mind is whether the problems I experienced with the copy I had for almost 2 weeks were my fault. But I think it's safe to say that One Shot AF for a portrait session should get me close to 100% in focus images (and not 35%) no matter what C.Fn settings I set (but I remember starting from default settings, so nothing fancy). So that copy was most likely bad, and maybe there are some good ones on sale now. I'll have a look.

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:20 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.