New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon T3i vs T1i

buschman068
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon T3i vs T1i

Can someone help me out on this. I now have a T1i on layaway at the local pawnshop. Just my luck i go there today and a T3i is out for sale. but they cant swap cause it just came out and its listed on CL. I bought the t1i for $344 and the t3i is 500 not including tax. i really like to get the newer model but i'm not in that kinda of position of own two cameras. any suggestions other than get the t1i out and sell it to fund buying the t3i.

Edited on Aug 09, 2012 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon T3i vs T1i

so why have you title the thread T2i ?

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon T3i vs T1i

If your talking T1i and T2i, why is the thread about the T2i ? Is it because its in the middle ?

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:26 AM
buschman068
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon T3i vs T1i

have edited the title, sry bout that.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon T3i vs T1i

have you parted with any money yet?
if not and you want the later model then walk away from the T1i . if they wont sell you the T3i then ask them why you money is not as good as someone else and then walk away again.

by the way. $500+Tax for a used one is not that good a deal when you look and see BH are doing a new one for $580

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon T3i vs T1i

and to add:

the 18mp sensor in the T2i / T3i / 7D / 60D (and probably the T4i) is better than the old 15mp sensor in the T1i

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:30 AM
buschman068
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon T3i vs T1i

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
have you parted with any money yet?
if not and you want the later model then walk away from the T1i . if they wont sell you the T3i then ask them why you money is not as good as someone else and then walk away again.

by the way. $500+Tax for a used one is not that good a deal when you look and see BH are doing a new one for $580

well, i cant. i have $$$ paid on the layaway with a small balance left. unless someone is willing/wanting to buy the t1i from me, i'm stuck with it until i put it up f/s.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon T3i vs T1i

in which case you either get them to take the layaway money onto the T3i or walk with the T1i and be happy.

your problem is they will see its easier to shift the T3i (maybe they have it priced high ) than the older model. so they may hold you to the T1i

I must say I dont know what the Pawn shop business is like for you but over here we have a growing number of 'Cash Converter' type shops and the last thing I would be doing if i wanted an item they have (unlikely as most stuff I see is either rubbish or good but priced silly) is paying some of the money and coming back with more later. it would be all or nothing. That way I either have my money or the item

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:41 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon T3i vs T1i

They are totally f'ing you!!

The T3i is about worth what they are asking. The T1i is not at all. You can buy a 50D for that price. You can find a refurb T3i kit with lens for $565 if you watch and wait a few days.

Inisist that they credit themoney from the T1i to the T3i. But you can't just walk in and argue, as they are used to dealing with slimeballs, etc. and will just get tough with you.

FIRST, you need to find out EXACTLY what your rights are in your state.

What if you walk away completely? What do they need to refund to you? What do you lose?

That might be less than the cost of bying and tring to re-sell the T1i. Basically, you do not want it. You want the T3i.

Find out how best to get what you want. Don't get all emotional or angry, they will play hardball. Find the facts, politely insist on what is legal and correct. Find a consumer agency or group taht might back you up.

Where are you located? (OK, I see Atlanta. Not a great state for consumer protection. Don't know the law there at all. )

Good luck!

Michael

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:33 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon T3i vs T1i

buschman068 wrote:
well, i cant. i have $$$ paid on the layaway with a small balance left. unless someone is willing/wanting to buy the t1i from me, i'm stuck with it until i put it up f/s.

I guess you're stuck with the T1i/500D and it looks like you really overpaid for that old model.
Why deal with pawn shops?
(besides the TV Pawn Stars" ! )

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:31 AM
buschman068
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon T3i vs T1i

i have been seeing people buy that camera and i dont think i overpaid for the used outfit. if u check that outfit sells for 425-500 used. even if i can sell mine for $350, i would gladly go back to them and buy the t3i w/len for $500.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:01 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon T3i vs T1i

buschman068 wrote:
i have $$$ paid on the layaway with a small balance left. unless someone is willing/wanting to buy the t1i from me, i'm stuck with it until i put it up f/s.

A general rule: It is almost always a really bad idea to give a vendor money on a lay-away or deposit basis unless you truly have to do this and you are utterly certain that you will make that purchase and you have a firm, fixed, unchangeable price.

Otherwise, once the vendor has any of your money in hand, the ball is entirely in the vendor's court. They have no reason to bargain any further with you, even if the product becomes available at a lower price. If you want to change the terms of the sale, they have no reason to help you out - and a slightly unscrupulous vendor may take you to the cleaners when it comes to the marginal cost for the better item.

In the worst case, if you don't make a deposit or do a "layaway" deal, the item could be sold before you get there. In a few cases - a rare and precious item, possibly - this could be disappointing. But when it comes to something as generic and widely available as cropped sensor cameras, if the one you saw is gone there will almost certainly be another one available elsewhere at the same or better price.

Dan

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:17 PM
buschman068
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon T3i vs T1i

hey Dan thanks for the comment but I'm not talking bout one of those flybynite company that takes your $$ and disappear. with pawnshops, if u miss a payment or two u forfeit any monies paid and u lose the item. u never know what comes in and what will come out of pawn. it was just my luck six months after putting the T1i on layaway a T3i would come out for sale. my only recourse is get it out and sell it. if the t3i is still available, i can use the funds to buy it. if not, then i still have the same $$ that i put into the camera.

Aug 14, 2012 at 07:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.