Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · colors of springtime

Shiva dancing
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · colors of springtime

Holi is a religious festival marking the beginning of spring in India. During the festival, children buy small packets of brightly colored powder from street vendors. The powders are either mixed with water, or used directly, to be thrown at anyone and everyone! Noone walking in the street remains uncolored. Here are a few pics I took in Varanasi in March 2004 of a street vendor as well as a storefront providing supplies of the colored powders. Enjoy!

street vendor

colors of Holi

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:02 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · colors of springtime

Colorful! Can you imagine what a strong wind would do to these open bags of colored powder. Any idea of what the collored powder consists of?
Douglas

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:08 PM
Shiva dancing
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · colors of springtime

Hi Doug, I have pondered this same question many times. Radioactive waste keeps coming to mind! Seriously, though, an internet search suggests that toxic heavy metals have been widely used - there is growing awareness of this issue and beginning attempts to use safer alternatives in the dyes.
cheers, Steve

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:21 PM
GateCityPhotog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · colors of springtime

Shiva dancing wrote:
Hi Doug, I have pondered this same question many times. Radioactive waste keeps coming to mind! Seriously, though, an internet search suggests that toxic heavy metals have been widely used - there is growing awareness of this issue and beginning attempts to use safer alternatives in the dyes.
cheers, Steve

Some many years ago, I worked for a chemical company that specialized in reselling dyes. I can attest to the fact that there is some really nasty stuff in those dyes, some of which is heavy metals. Nasty nasty stuff indeed.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:32 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password