Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

photogwest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

Hey all,

I've been using my B+W slim polarizer (77mm) for a little while now and am happy with it. However, I've found some situations where I can't get the aperture I need - for waterscapes, etc. - and am looking at stacking an ND with the polarizer.

Question: Is there a rule for which filters should be stacked after/before others? This slim polarizer only has threads on the bottom side (because it's 'slim'), so I would have to put the ND filter on first, then the polarizer second. Is that a problem? Also, has anyone had issues with vignetting when stacking filters? This will be on a 24-70, 80-200 and possibly a 16-35 in the future.

Also, any recommendations for ND stop values would be great...I'd mostly use it for waterfalls/waterscapes, and would also like to use them for motion blur during the day at some point - i guess you need 10 stop filters for that kind of work.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:55 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

I always put the ND filter first followed by the polarizer as it makes it easier to adjust the polarizer. I do get vignetting using my 24-105 and Zeiss 21mm lenses so I would think you would also get that with your 16-35 at the wide ends.

B&W make a nice ND filters.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:42 PM
photogwest
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

Thanks for the info, chez. Yeah I suspected some vignetting...I'll just bite the bullet and get one and see what happens.

So is it still usable with the vignetting? How do you get good results? I suppose I could just keep the CPL on the end of my 24-70 or 16-35 and just hand-hold a ND or GND? Anyone else try that?

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM
JTS0719

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

photogwest wrote:
Hey all,

I've been using my B+W slim polarizer (77mm) for a little while now and am happy with it. However, I've found some situations where I can't get the aperture I need - for waterscapes, etc. - and am looking at stacking an ND with the polarizer.

Question: Is there a rule for which filters should be stacked after/before others? This slim polarizer only has threads on the bottom side (because it's 'slim'), so I would have to put the ND filter on first, then the polarizer second. Is that a problem? Also, has anyone had issues with vignetting when
...Show more

If you want to shoot mid-day, then I would recommend the Lee Big Stopper although it seems to be always in short supply. For normal shots where you want to either blur the water or waterfall, a .06 ND is sufficient.

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:59 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stacking NDs and polarizers

photogwest wrote:
Thanks for the info, chez. Yeah I suspected some vignetting...I'll just bite the bullet and get one and see what happens.

So is it still usable with the vignetting? How do you get good results? I suppose I could just keep the CPL on the end of my 24-70 or 16-35 and just hand-hold a ND or GND? Anyone else try that?

Vignette wil vary by lens so you would ahve to see with your stuff. the poster who mentioned this vignette for example uses zeiss. Zeiss glass in many cases has more pronounced vignette wide open naturally (you take the good with the bad, microcontrast and colour for zeiss means you deal with vignette wide open on alot them....fair tradeoff imo) .

Filters jsut add more to them. Don't have the 21 but do have the 35mm. I filter my zeiss the vignette comes quick and very noticeable wide open. I filter my 35 F2D the vignette is there but not as strong. Vignette control jsut a matter of aperture adjustment to make it go away. Or PP corrections to taste.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password