Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HDR vs. single RAW file

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HDR vs. single RAW file

I just recently upgraded to LR4 and was a bit confused when I saw that the recovery and fill light sliders were gone but I think the new sliders are MUCH improved. Here's an example that I'm working on right now. I still have a lot of work to do in terms of getting the exposures right since I think the way I have it now is a bit funky with the moss/rocks lit up so much. Anyways, just wanted to get some opinions on how the HDR compares to the single shot. I'm still amazed at how much data a RAW file can hold!

Also, if anyone wants to chime in and answer this: does the clarity slider do something different in LR4 compared to LR3? Just played with it a little and noticed that it has a much more drastic effect on the photo than it used to.

Anyway, this is a 5-exposure HDR (-2,-1,0,+1,+2). Don't kill me but I took screenshots of LR4 instead of exporting the actual images since I'm still working on them!

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 5.04.34 AM by justindong, on Flickr

This is the RAW file edited just using LR4, no pseudo-HDR or anything:

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 5.04.13 AM by justindong, on Flickr

For comparison, here's the before/after of the RAW file:

Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 5.12.22 AM by justindong, on Flickr

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:17 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HDR vs. single RAW file

For my taste, the foreground is too light in both versions. The HDR did a bit better with the sky.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password