Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tips

Mike Letour
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips

Hello,
I am doing what is essentially my first paid gig, shooting JV and Varsity football games. I will be working for a friend, who is contracting with parents to shoot individual kids through the season for a fixed price. I am comfortable with the shooting techniques, as I have done it before in a non-official capacity, with good results. I am more interested in the general practices of those who do this kind of work. Where do you station yourself for the best action? In the past, I have set up 10 or so yards downfield when my team is on offense, and then swung to the end zone once the offense hits the red zone. When my team is on defense, especially on a 3rd and long, I will sometimes swing upfield a few yards to see if I can sniff out a sack. Am I on the right track? Any other tips that you have had good results with? Thanks
Mike

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:10 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips

In the general areas I am with you. Pretty much 5 to 10 yards in front of scrimmage depending on where they are on the field. End zone when coming in to score. Try to play the side the QB rolls to the most. Also be sue to follow the plays after a score or big play to get the celebration. Your target player may be involved. Same when they miss a big play.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:17 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips

If you have long glass (300mm or 400mm), I'd suggest 20-30 yards in front of the line of scrimmage. Most action is best when it's coming toward you, and at only 10 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, a lot of the action will be passing you by and moving away from you. You'll also want to spend some time behind the line of scrimmage with a zoom (70-200 works well) to shoot the QB and running backs taking handoffs. Shooting the defense will require a slightly different approach.

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:40 AM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips

If you're happy with your current results, why change? Particularly if they got you the gig. Both ideas above work. I used to shoot (Canadian field) from about 9-11 yards up field like you with a 500 on a 1D series for offense and about ten yards back of the play on defense to shoot linemen and linebackers (MUCH harder than shooting offense, but cooler when it works).

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:26 AM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips

Do you have insurance if you are going to be shooting from the sidelines? If none, better get one especially if you are getting paid to shoot.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Sewell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips

If you're friend has hired you as a second shooter, first thing you should probably do is make sure he/she is okay with you doing anything different than what you've normally done. There might be some level of expectation based your previous experience and results.

Beyond that, you didn't mention what glass you have. While there are more and more M/DWACs with 70-200s at high school games, there still aren't many (actually aren't ANY around here!) 300s or 400f2.8 lenses used by parents or non-pros at high school games in my area. Even the newspaper shooters here are using only 300/f2.8 lenses.

So, if you have a 400 I would head toward the end zone and let the action come to you. Seriously, you can cover much of the field with a 400 on a crop body (see images). And, if you're shooting with a newer body (i.e. high mp!) you can crop those images you get from way down the field. Of course, be sure to mix it up and get close up action shots along the sideline that you can't get from the end zone.

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:58 AM
Mike Letour
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips

What sort of insurance will this require?

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Mike Letour
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I am currently equipped with a 70-200 2.8, and unless this gig is a lot more profitable than I anticipate, there are no new glass purchases on the horizon. I would love to own a 300 or a 400, but for now, I will have to beat out the MWACs with position and technique (and access, since the parents are not allowed to be close to the field). Around here, surprisingly, I have yet to see a fast zoom in the hands of a non-professional.

One advantage I will have doing JV is that the sun will be setting 20 minutes after kickoff at the first game, giving me a bit of daylight to work with. Of course, this will tail off as the season progresses, but it will be nice to not be forced to push my ISO so far.

Aug 13, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips

Look at this thread especially Marty Bingham's response regarding insurance:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137268/0?keyword=insurance#10858187

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password