Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

I very recently found out about the B&H educator advantage program and, as a graduate student, I qualified. This means I get some fantastic discounts (upto 30-40%) off of a lot of products including ball heads.

I got discounts on Manfrotto, Gitzo, Benro, Induro and Oben in the ball head category. I have been looking to get a large ball head to complement the series 3 Gitzo tripod legs (Studex Performance) I recently bought. I would really prefer Arca Swiss compatibility and so it is pretty much down to Induro.

Anyone have any experience with the BHL3 or the BHD3? The former sells for $245 and the latter for $157. I will probably also buy the Induro GHBA (their equivalent of the Wimberly Sidekick) selling for $150. The BHL version has lower profile, better build and apparently works just like the RRS bh55 as per the only review I found but I would love to know if someone here has any more idea here. The maximum I would use this would be on a Canon 70-200 II with 2x II on a gripped 60D (640mm on a full frame equivalent) but with the Gimbal attachment on.

Thanks a lot!

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:10 PM
farski
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

I have a BHD2 (one size smaller than BHD3), and have had no problems with a gripped D700 and 70-200. I can't compare it to the BHL series, but I have no complaints. The movements are smooth, the drag control is easy to use. I'm not much a tripod shooter, I just keep it around for when I need it, so I'm not really sure what kind of details you'd be looking for, but if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:47 PM
mogud
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

I have the BHD 3 and also the GHBA. I also have the Gitzo 3531 (Series 3) tripod. I've used the BHD 3 and the GHBA with a Canon 400mm f5.6, 70-200mm II and the 100-400mm with no issues at all. The ballhead is quite large and relatively heavy. It's rated for 55 lbs and is very smooth and solid. When I purchased my Canon 500mm f4 IS, I bought a Sidelick to be used with the BHD 3 and the Gitzo as the GHBA is not rated for that much weight. The ballhead works great with the 500mm and the Sidekick and is rock solid on the Gitzo Series 3. I would recommend the BHD 3 very highly. You won't be disappointed.

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:28 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Thanks a lot for the really helpful posts. I will go ahead with the BHD3 then, and will definitely consider the Wimberly Sidekick as well. My only concern was with lens creep/sag when pointed upwards or downwards and from what you both said, the BHD series should more than suffice.

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:34 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

. . . apparently works just like the RRS bh55 as per the only review I found . . .

I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't let that one slide by. I'd love to see a llink to that review, and know what experience the author has had with RRS products.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:17 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

dcains wrote:
. . . apparently works just like the RRS bh55 as per the only review I found . . .

I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't let that one slide by. I'd love to see a llink to that review, and know what experience the author has had with RRS products.

Sure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnFk7EV8_tA

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

There are quite a few photographers that use RRS' BH-55 that have tried the Induro BHL-3 and have remarked that it's very much on par with the RRS offering. I've been dong some research on ballheads and find that there are several cheaper, less known brands that match and often exceed some of the established favorites. I wonder why people think that other ballheads can't be built that work as well as those already to market? All the current favorites started out someplace too as an idea and then were built. RRS makes some great products, but they aren't the only company that does.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Before I bought the BHD-3, I got a chance to take a look at the BHL-3 as well as the BHD-3 at a local camera store. I liked the BHL-3 a lot more, even though I highly recommend both heads, and decided to go with the BHL-3 + Induro GHB-A for a total of $395

No way I would get all this functionality from an RRS BH55 at this price.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:42 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Waki wrote:
There are quite a few photographers that use RRS' BH-55 that have tried the Induro BHL-3 and have remarked that it's very much on par with the RRS offering. I've been dong some research on ballheads and find that there are several cheaper, less known brands that match and often exceed some of the established favorites. I wonder why people think that other ballheads can't be built that work as well as those already to market? All the current favorites started out someplace too as an idea and then were built. RRS makes some great products, but they aren't the
...Show more

Mind sharing who the photographers are, and where you saw this?

I totally agree with your post, and having established names back this up may help convince some people to give lesser known brands a try.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Waki
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

I'm on my iPad so I don't have the bookmarks from my Mac but a few that come to mind are Vincent Versace, Greg Basco, and Eric Brown. All working photographers with credentials, they make their living from photography which is good enough for me. There are a couple in the UK, one sticks out because Induro isn't that common there an he had to search to find an outlet.

I'm just like everyone else and love to ogle the RRS stuff, the AS Z1, Gitzo products, or what ever is cool and hot. While I have money to buy any of that stuff, if the Induro works for me, it saves me some cash which can go towards a new lens, a D4 body, or new flooring covering for my makeshift studio. I never have a problem finding something to spend money on. I also like finding a jewel in the rough too and I think the BHL-3 will work okay. I'll know soon enough.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Waki wrote:
I also like finding a jewel in the rough too and I think the BHL-3 will work okay. I'll know soon enough.

Ditto, mine should be coming in by Wednesday.

I found some of the reviews you mentioned (apart from the one by Eric Brown) and more:

http://www.mikeprince.org/blog/?page_id=100

http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2012/05/gear-review-induro-ct313-tripod-bhl-2-ballhead/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcqDmrwaB7k

Feeling better about choosing the BHL 3 over the BHD 3.

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

After all that work on researching the Induro, I wound up purchasing something else. Kind of hard to believe. I just fell into a deal totally looking for something else to enhance my camera straps. I wound up with a Sunwayfoto XB-52 "DL" version. I'm getting the same Duo Lever clamp I'm currently using on my current head and tripod at no upcharge plus a hefty discount. I just could not pass on it, especially with an very open return if not happy policy.

Good luck on the Induro, still good stuff there. I look forward to hearing about how well it works.

Aug 15, 2012 at 04:44 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Good for you. I have had hands-on with many of the Sunway products and have their XB-44 ballhead on one of my Gitzo 2-series tripods. It's a very nice ballhead, high in both build quality and functionality. Maybe a little bit overpriced compared to some of its classmates, but if one can get a good deal, I'd recommend it. FWIW, to my mind, there is a big difference between a company like Sunway or Photoclam (both newcomers) and the Induro/Benro clan. Induro/Benro initially flooded the market with low-quality, unreliable products, which were in fact shown to be poorly made by purchasers who documented failures and even product teardowns. If that reputation precedes them still, then so be it. Sunway and Photoclam never exhibited initial crap to finance/build their businesses. I don't think I've got that much of an axe to grind, but perception and reputation are important to us all, whether or not we choose to admit it.

Aug 15, 2012 at 09:30 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Yes, I heard a lot about the earlier Induro/Benro products but I was genuinely impressed by how good the BHL-3 felt in my hands. Mind you, this was a used product as well which I saw at my local store. The discount doesn't hurt either

If there was a Photoclam or Markins on sale, I would have probably gone with it but in the end it was finance that dictated me going with the Induro. B&H shipped it later than expected and so I will be getting it on Friday instead. I will let you guys know if Induro is worth a look at now.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:12 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

Got both the BHL-3 and the GHB-A heads today, and I am very impressed. The ball head is a bit stiff out of the box but is already getting better with a few twists and turns. The GHB-A works very well with my 70-200 IS II + Canon 2x II on my 60D. I may do the classic "moon" test tonight to see if there is any lens creep but I heavily doubt it.

The free quick release plates with both the heads are also very well machined, and a welcome bonus. I am happy with my purchases so far.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:26 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

The RRS ballheads require a bit of a break-in period, too, but the Markins seem to work optimally straight from the box.

Aug 18, 2012 at 06:03 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help needed on purchasing Induro ball head

I guess an RRS clone has the same initial issues as RRS original

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password