Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D.

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · SMP Actions n Presets...

I know a lot of VSCO fans are in here, but this looks good. I just came across a deal on the Photowhoa site where they have a 44% off sale on a skin retouching action here.

But after visiting the SMP(which btw stands for StyleMyPic and not MePretty) website, the Lightroom presets look really nice. Anyone here uses them?

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Pete D.

p.1 #2 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Really, no wedding photogs? Is this place a flock of VSCO exclusively

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:50 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D. wrote:
Is this place a flock of VSCO exclusively

Pretty much, it seems.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D. wrote:
I know a lot of VSCO fans are in here, but this looks good. I just came across a deal on the Photowhoa site where they have a 44% off sale on a skin retouching action here.

But after visiting the SMP(which btw stands for StyleMyPic and not MePretty) website, the Lightroom presets look really nice. Anyone here uses them?

Are you affiliated with Style My Pic in any way?

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:55 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · SMP Actions n Presets...

I don't use VSCO... but I don't use StyleMyPic either.

When I first clicked on this... I was expecting to see StyleMePretty actions or presets... it can turn any picture into a Mason Jar.... or something like that.

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:39 PM
Pete D.

p.1 #6 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Hey Inku, I'm not connected to SMPic.Why would you think that?

@Richard- Thats what i thought at the first glance of the initials SMP.

It may sound i am biased too smp or against vsco but i'm just trying to find how things work with wedding photographers, as i was really anxious to know all your inputs. I really admire most of the work i see here, much better then some famed wedding photobloggers, but then i also see a herd mentality which everyone tries to do. Hands up who have a pro photoblog here, and then tried something different with rawfolio. This i first noticed when everyone was a canon user and wanted a 50mm 1.2 as THE lens, then one or more top photographer jumped ship to nikon, everyone suddenly started hating their 5d2s autofocus. Same with vsco presets, when a few photobloggers adopted it and said film look is in.

Sorry for the vent and blowing it out of proportion...i was just hoping to find some individual opinions here.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D. wrote:
Hey Inku, I'm not connected to SMPic.Why would you think that?

@Richard- Thats what i thought at the first glance of the initials SMP.

It may sound i am biased too smp or against vsco but i'm just trying to find how things work with wedding photographers, as i was really anxious to know all your inputs. I really admire most of the work i see here, much better then some famed wedding photobloggers, but then i also see a herd mentality which everyone tries to do. Hands up who have a pro photoblog here, and then tried something different with
...Show more

Yeah, I saw this post and didn't respond simply because it seemed like a sales pitch kind of thing. I don't use VSCO or SMP. I started using Alien Skin recently.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:00 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D. wrote:
Really, no wedding photogs? Is this place a flock of VSCO exclusively

Most of the Wedding Photographers I know don't use off the shelf plug ins at all. Not sure why you assume that a store bought action is a pre-requisite of some sort.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Aremac 01
• •
p.1 #9 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Things may seem like a herd mentality to you, but that's because you're reading threads where the people replying are interested in the thread and have a common ground. To assume this is a representative of all photographers here would be a bit naive.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:23 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #10 · SMP Actions n Presets...

RichardLavigne wrote:
When I first clicked on this... I was expecting to see StyleMePretty actions or presets... it can turn any picture into a Mason Jar.... or something like that.

Hah.

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · SMP Actions n Presets...

This is more for fashion/model photography; not weddings... oh, and those that want to spend more time in PS than LR.

Sounded like a sales pitch to me as well. Most wedding togs want to stick to LR for faster workflow. You should probably start researching there first. Once you decide whether you want to work faster in LR, or do one at a time in PS, then you can begin deciding what aids you might want to implement.

FWIW, for skin retouching... when I absolutely have to do it, I use Portraiture. It's quick, simple and fast from within LR... and doesn't go overboard.

Aug 09, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Pete D.

p.1 #12 · SMP Actions n Presets...

amonline wrote:
This is more for fashion/model photography; not weddings... oh, and those that want to spend more time in PS than LR.

Sounded like a sales pitch to me as well. Most wedding togs want to stick to LR for faster workflow. You should probably start researching there first. Once you decide whether you want to work faster in LR, or do one at a time in PS, then you can begin deciding what aids you might want to implement.

FWIW, for skin retouching... when I absolutely have to do it, I use Portraiture. It's quick, simple and fast from within LR... and
...Show more

Hey Alan, i think you got me wrong.....I am not interested in the Skin actions at all...they look like a lot of work. I found out about SMP through Photowhoa, and was more interested in the Lightroom presets they have esp. the pret e porter set. I know Lightroom is the way to go for a balance between speed and quality.

@Inku....do you use alien skin exposure for lightroom? How do you find it?

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · SMP Actions n Presets...

I see. The link threw me.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #14 · SMP Actions n Presets...

RichardLavigne wrote:
...I was expecting to see StyleMePretty actions or presets... it can turn any picture into a Mason Jar.... or something like that.

A tilt shifted mason jar. Wrapped in lace. With boutonnieres with Anthropology buttons and home-grown moss hand stitched by someone's grandmother...

...on a farm. Outside. In the fall.

FTFY.

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:51 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #15 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Pete D. wrote:
Hey Alan, i think you got me wrong.....I am not interested in the Skin actions at all...they look like a lot of work. I found out about SMP through Photowhoa, and was more interested in the Lightroom presets they have esp. the pret e porter set. I know Lightroom is the way to go for a balance between speed and quality.

@Inku....do you use alien skin exposure for lightroom? How do you find it?

I use it for Photoshop. I still don't really know how to use LR. Hahah!

Aug 09, 2012 at 08:45 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #16 · SMP Actions n Presets...

It took me a while to figure this out. Pete D.'s link sent you to something he wasn't really talking about. The link is actually here.

The Lightroom system looks pretty cool. There seems to be a few more film options than VSCO in the film pack, but if people understand stops better than sliders, the toolkit will probably help them. It looks like everything is stackable, but without a demo, I am not dropping $270 on the set to see what works for me or not.

Andrew

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Pete D.

p.1 #17 · SMP Actions n Presets...

ACRe wrote:
It took me a while to figure this out. Pete D.'s link sent you to something he wasn't really talking about. The link is actually here.

The Lightroom system looks pretty cool. There seems to be a few more film options than VSCO in the film pack, but if people understand stops better than sliders, the toolkit will probably help them. It looks like everything is stackable, but without a demo, I am not dropping $270 on the set to see what works for me or not.

Andrew

Finally, someone who got what i was trying to say all this time. Guess i should have had put the above link instead of the photowhoa deal page. Regarding dropping in the money first, I was hoping someone already was using. Maybe SMP should hire 5 wedding and portrait photobloggers to talk how cool their product is like Vsco did.

@Inku- OT, but do you shoot jpeg or have a raw workflow with PS?

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:50 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Oh, for the love of Pete, he wasn't talking about that either... he was talking about THIS.

Yes, they look nice. Completely different concept than VSCO though.

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:40 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · SMP Actions n Presets...

Ummm, yeah. Why wouldn't you link to what you are actually referring to? That would have made for a better salesman's announcement

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:03 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password