Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Compositional critiques?

weissj
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Compositional critiques?

Here are a few recent shots, with different approaches taken for each. I'd appreciate any and all feedback, though I'm especially curious how y'all feel about my composition in each. I suppose colors have also been rather challenging as of late. Thanks for taking the time to look.

(1)

IMG_2278-Edit-2 by josh.weiss, on Flickr

(2)

IMG_1690-Edit-3 by josh.weiss, on Flickr

(3)

Learning anatomy by josh.weiss, on Flickr

(4)

Photo by josh.weiss, on Flickr

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Compositional critiques?

Ok, I will take a stab at this even though it is well out of my comfort zone.

Of them all, only the first has a sense of organization, the others seem chaotic and the last two have too many OOF areas for my taste.

You can easily see that this is more of a preference sort of thing and if your intention was as I stated ignore my comments.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · Compositional critiques?

Josh, I am not sure I understand what you are asking except it seems you want us to look at composition primarily and ignore color and other aspects. To me your request does not make a lot of sense. Compositional techniques are tools which help develop an image and help our images have mood, tell a story and control areas where we focus our interests. Anyway let me give this a try and ignore my attempts if they seem outside of what your are looking for.

The first image has a pleasing circular pattern. My eye goes around the circle and also concentrates on the nicely placed rock element. Nice composition. But I also need to say the image does not provide a lot of interest.

The second image has way more complexity. I like the nice orderly elements at the top which contrast with the more chaotic elements at the bottom. Unfortunately, I have some difficulty with the middle of the image. I can clearly identify the cover plate and phone plug, but I can't identify what I am looking at for most of the rest of the middle of this image. Bottomline: too complex with large areas that makes no sense. Again I like the contrast between the order at the top and the disorder at the bottom but the middle doesn't fit with the story you are trying to tell and the composition seems too complex. Sorry if I have not described my feeling well but I hope you get my feeling.

The third image....wow what a story, not pretty, but powerful. Just a few suggestions that might have made this even stronger. The leading lines bring our eyes into an uninteresting corner of the image instead of bringing our eye in towards the main element or something else of interest. I am not wild about the comp, but again this is powerful altho none too pleasant. I like the selective focus here. The main element is sharp but we still see lots of details as we examine them.

With the last image, I am just lost. The tilted horizon, the blurred background, and the story contrast between the flower and the building are just lost on me. I have no idea what you are attempting with this image.

Overall I may not understand your intent or how the compositions help to convey your story. I do strongly applaud your attempts. They may not work as you intended for the casual observer but these are IMO great attempts to move beyond the usual pretty images we are used to.

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:12 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Compositional critiques?

Its really four questions, in terms of how they work compositionally. One similarity across the offerings is a relatively centered subject. To me, that works best where symmetry is an important part of the goal.
Here is my take on each.
1. Doesnt really work for me. My eye quickly goes to what I perceive as the main subject, the somewhat phallic stone combo at the top of the image. There it feels a bit cramped on top, needing more room to expand (OK, this is getting sick, but what the...). I wonder about a version taken much lower to the ground, with more sky, assuming no busy background dictating the crop. Or, from the other direction and a shallower DOF, again shooting much lower to the ground.
2. Love it. The symmetry works, especially playing against the disarray. A bit sad, a bit comical, quite effective.
3. A bit centered, tight at the top and I dont think including the base adds anything. In fact, it adds more definition to the object, making it less startling and less provocative. I'd like it even more if there were a view that didnt include the chair! Also, a vote for shallower DOF or PP blurring of the background a bit more.
4. Really like the idea here. The DOF seems well chosen. The message of course makes this almost irresistible to shoot. Wish you could exclude the building on the right.
Scott

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

weissj
• • •
p.1 #5 · Compositional critiques?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It's certainly a disjointed series, but I'm really working on my composition skills and these seemed like they had promise. Nothing like the eagle eyes of FM to help nudge me in the right direction.

Jim, regarding the second shot, the pink protruding from the wall in the center of the frame is insulation. My presumption is that someone punched through the wall and intervals in hopes of piping that could be stolen as scrap metal.

Scott, it's funny that you went to phallic imagery in the first image because a good friend suggested that the second image has sort of a Georgia O'Keeffe vibe to it.

Thanks again for the feedback. I really take everyone's comments to heart. I frequently hear bits of feedback echoing in the back of my mind when I frame shots. Hopefully I can continue to improve...

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · Compositional critiques?

I love pic 2 as a full image. Composition, to me, works amazing. I would hang this.

I think there is alot of potential for pic 3 but there is something missing to make it a full strong pic. Not sure what it is.

Number 1 and last, I don't care too much for them..

Obviously, just my opinion.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:46 PM
weissj
• • •
p.1 #7 · Compositional critiques?

Guari wrote:
I love pic 2 as a full image. Composition, to me, works amazing. I would hang this.

I think there is alot of potential for pic 3 but there is something missing to make it a full strong pic. Not sure what it is.

Number 1 and last, I don't care too much for them..

Obviously, just my opinion.

And I appreciate your opinion. Thanks!

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password