Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

nismoxr34
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Hello everyone,

If some of you have seen earlier, I posted a photo of sunset at Kearsarge Lake earlier last month. During the same backpacking trip, my goal was to get a photo of Bullfrog lake during sunrise. I arrived in the lake basin a little late, well mostly because my fiance was tired, but wasn't able to scout out the location like I wanted. So I just winged it the morning of, hiking in the light of the moon to an area where I thought I would get the best light. To my surprise, it was a pretty wonderful sunrise.

Any comments or critiques welcome! I wish I had a little more color in the clouds, but at least I was able to step back and enjoy the sunrise while photographing this moment.

Check out the rest of the photos:
http://kelvinkuo.com/travel/2012/11/02/hiking-kearsarge-pass/

Kelvin

Edited on Nov 02, 2012 at 12:29 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:38 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Kelvin,

What a view and very nice subtle light. I think I shall have to add "Kings Canyon" to my destination points. How long was your hike to get to this area?

Don't sweat about the clouds, it's been the bane of my existence trying to find them in that eastern sierra area .

Just a suggestion, but I think if you crop the sky a bit and give it a more pano look, I think the focus will better on the lighted mountain tops.

single exposure or blend?

Jason

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:42 PM
bschmalz
• •
p.1 #3 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Very nice. From my experience, you were very lucky to have any clouds in the sky at all. That's pretty rare in the Sierra during the summer. I like your raised perspective on both shots from this trip you posted here. When I passed through I stayed closer to the lakes and was mainly just moving on to other places, and as a result my photos from the area don't have as much impact.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #4 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Interesting and effective perpective. Well done!

John

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Hey Kelvin,

Very nice. Good work with just winging it.

I like this view, I agree you might try cropping a bit off the top, though this is a very pleasing view. I tend to get down in close to the lakes, but I have seen a few view from a distance shots like yours that really look nice, so I will have to add this perspective to my compositions.

Jim

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

I really like the framing of the cloud reflecting in the water. Was that chance or did you wait for it?

I agree about the top crop but just above the cloud that is also reflected.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:10 PM
nismoxr34
• •
p.1 #7 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Jason - this hike wasn't as bad as the other ones, it is pretty much on the edge of the John Muir Wilderness and Kings Canyon National park. It is roughly 6 miles in with around 2000 ft elevation gain. I might have to experiment more on the cropping. The images is just a single exposure.

bschmalz - Thanks! I wanted to get a shot of the whole lake, and the valley below. I usually shoot closer up as well, but I noticed that the foreground elements weren't as strong and the lakes weren't as still during my trip.

Jred - thank you!

JimFox - yes, I was just experimenting and it worked out in the end. I know a lot of photographers nowadays shoot closer with wider angle lenses, this just goes to show that different perspectives are always welcome!

Scott Kroeker - I did take a few photos of the mountains, with the progression from light pink to a more vibrant orange on the peaks. I also noticed the clouds rolling in. I did get a shot of the lit clouds reflecting on the water as well, but the peaks no longer had that wonderful glow.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

It would be easy to add some color to the clouds Kelvin though I donít think that would be good for your magical image. The touch of light on the mountain tops and great contrast and sharpness are eye catching.

Morris

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:42 PM
nismoxr34
• •
p.1 #9 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Thank you Morris. I love the image as it is, I just was hoping to see a little more fire breathing from the sky.

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:23 AM
nismoxr34
• •
p.1 #10 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

I just updated with a blog post if anyone was interested in this hike.

http://kelvinkuo.com/travel/2012/11/02/hiking-kearsarge-pass/

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:28 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #11 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

It might not be a super dramatic image but it conveys the mood and feel of the place very well. I personally like the view of the lake from far out, and not up close to the lake, it's neat to see how the lake fits into the geography.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

I've camped at Bullfrog Lake. Thanks for showing it. This was a difficult exposure to nail. The foreground trees are very dark, nearly black. This might have been improved with image blending.

Nov 02, 2012 at 05:32 PM
nismoxr34
• •
p.1 #13 · Bullfrog Lake (Kings Canyon)

Yea, I have a few more photos of Kings Canyon. Its more for the landscapes that I don't see often here.

Jeffrey - I do have the images to blend, I could play around with that. But for some reason, after shooting film, I have been looking into getting the most information out of one exposure. I will try to play around with some blended images to get more dynamic range in the foreground though.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:11 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password