Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Headshot

honorerdieu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headshot

Mackenzie showed up with a sunburn on her face and chest for yesterday's session, but I think it adds some character. I like it because I'm biased as a photographer who took this photo. But... always interested to hear what others think about it. It's OK to rip the photo apart for criticism.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:46 PM
zalmyb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headshot

the good: great eyes, nice composition, looks "real", good focus

the bad (purely subjective): contrast is quite flat (and slightly underexposed) and color looks wonky (IMVNSHO), and that red/pink in her eyes could use some photoshop love.

up the contrast, fix the color (or black and white it) and I would like it better. You might not

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:07 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headshot

zalmyb wrote:
the good: great eyes, nice composition, looks "real", good focus

the bad (purely subjective): contrast is quite flat (and slightly underexposed) and color looks wonky (IMVNSHO), and that red/pink in her eyes could use some photoshop love.

up the contrast, fix the color (or black and white it) and I would like it better. You might not

I'm curious to know what IMVNSHO means.

It was interesting to read your take on it. I hadn't notice the the pink eye until you mentioned it. I do like black and white photos a little more than color, but her green eyes and blonde hair looked nice yesterday.

Thanks for commenting.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Jewced
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headshot

Really really great colors and contrast in my opinion. Awesome shot.

I wish the edge of her left eye (from our perspective) wasn't quite as dark, but I don't think you can do anything about that.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:42 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Headshot

In My Very Not So Humble Opinion

and yeah, I agree with the green eyes and blonde hair > black and white...

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Snap96

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Headshot

Great capture....

What did you use to process....Photoshop, LR, etc...? I really dig what you did.

Thanks,
Paul

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:10 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Headshot

My opinion is she looks sick. Pink eyes, appears to been crying. If you want a sad look then great image.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Headshot

I like the muddy processing. I like the sunburn. But I do agree about the previous comment about her looking sick.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:26 PM
khwaja
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Headshot

looks like she's gonna cry

it looks really 3 dimensional on my screen, if it was a video, i'd have tried to touch her o.o

love the processing

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:31 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Headshot

Very emotional image, evokes sadness. I really like it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:57 PM

honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Headshot

Snap96 wrote:
Great capture....

What did you use to process....Photoshop, LR, etc...? I really dig what you did.

Thanks,
Paul

I process everything in LR4. Thanks.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:19 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Headshot

Interesting comments so far... Anyone else agree that the photo evokes sadness?

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:31 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Headshot

I believe that it is the expression that evokes sadness - the tight, pursed lips, like she is holding it in. Not the colors - which I adore, by the way. The red eyes lend themselves to the fact that she has been overexposed in the sun; while not overexposed in this shot (thank you!!). I am REALLY not liking the bright/glowing shots as of late. I find this treatment nice and easy to look at. Agree on the 3Dness of the shot, too. Sad shots have their place, too, so don't be put off by everyone thinking she is sad!

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:49 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Headshot

KatieInTexas wrote:
I believe that it is the expression that evokes sadness - the tight, pursed lips, like she is holding it in. Not the colors - which I adore, by the way. The red eyes lend themselves to the fact that she has been overexposed in the sun; while not overexposed in this shot (thank you!!). I am REALLY not liking the bright/glowing shots as of late. I find this treatment nice and easy to look at. Agree on the 3Dness of the shot, too. Sad shots have their place, too, so don't be put off by everyone thinking she is
...Show more

Katie, thanks for sharing your insights. I was surprised at how the photo does evoke sadness, but it wasn't a bad surprised nor was I disappointed. I'm not sure if she was sad, but she was tired from cheerleading all day in the sun. I suppose that tired look does give off the impression that she is sad in the photo. I could've stated that in the original post, but I wanted my photo to speak for itself. Evidently, it didn't turn out that way. Back to the drawing board.

Here's a photo taken a second later. It's a bit underexposed and in black and white, but I kinda like it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:20 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Headshot

it looks like she has been crying... very powerful. i find the subtle lack of contrast very nice. i think more would detract from the subject. very well done =)

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:42 AM
J.walker

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Headshot

ABSOLUTELY see sadness in the image. She looks like tears are about to pour out.Great capture!!!!

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM
crabcakes
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Headshot

Love the photo, but my first impression was she is hung-over. Now, I have seen darn few people with hangovers, so I could be wrong. It was my first thought on seeing this photo!

Aug 10, 2012 at 01:07 PM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Headshot

i like the processing and style of the image a lot. i don't see sadness; to me, it looks like she's spent too much time on the boat, with a few drinks. i'm always surprised by how some people show up for a shoot.

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:26 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Headshot

Thanks guys. The first photo did not say what I intended to convey... Back to the drawing board for me.

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password