New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Point and shoot for wife question

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Point and shoot for wife question

Last nite I had a gallery opening of my photos and my wife took her trusty old sony w-70 point and shoot and proceeded to record the event. Well the pictures were full of ghosting and in general just crappy. Her pic's with this camera have always been pretty good, I believe that this camera has reached the end of it's usefull life. The question is I know all about SLR cameras but nothing about point and shoot other than the annoying shutter lag between shots. I need to find her a nice point and shoot thats easy to learn and will give decent shots. I shoot Canon slr's but am open to any brand. Thanks for your help

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:56 AM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Point and shoot for wife question

We had a Canon S90 for a couple years until my wife lost it. It took great pictures (by P+S standards) and had enough manual controls that I was pretty happy when I used it as well. The current Canon S100 is, by all accounts, also a very good camera, but is probably due for an update sometime soon.

I actually just ordered a Sony DSC-RX100 as a replacement, which is a P+S with a 1" sensor, the same size a Nikon's mirrorless (CX) system, roughly a 2.7x crop factor. It is a much larger sensor than is typical in a P+S, and all reviews and sample images I have seen so far look stellar (for a P+S). I'm trying for something here that will be easy and small enough that my wife will be happy to use it, but that will offer good enough image quality to satisfy my DSLR standards. It looks like this is it, but we'll see in about a week.

There are a couple threads in the Alt Gear forum, and a pretty good review at Imaging Resource.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:31 AM
jshalvorsen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Point and shoot for wife question

Get a Canon S100 or the Sony RX100, best in their class, no need to save some money by getting her a crappy camera

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:37 AM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Point and shoot for wife question

I would buy the panasonic lx-7 the biggest downside to the Sony is the very slow f4.9 at long end. I'm still amazed they made a 3.6x that goes from 1.8 to 4.9. The lx7 is smaller sensor but it's 1.4-2.3.

Tim

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:49 AM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Point and shoot for wife question

"Slow" is a very relative term when comparing cameras with different sensor sizes. The Sony lens is constrained by the size of the camera, the physical size of the aperture on the RX100 and the LX7 is almost the same at the long end -7.6mm for the RX100 and 7.7mm for the LX7 - the two lenses let in about the same amount of light at the long end (the Sony is much better at the wide end), the Sony will just have to spread it out over a larger area - this shold be made up for with the better high ISO performance of the larger sensor to roughly even the playing field. The f/ measurement of the lens aperture is smaller in the Sony because the lens has a longer focal length (37.1mm vs. 17.7mm) to go with the larger sensor. If they made it a larger aperture lens, it would make the camera significantly larger.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:53 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Point and shoot for wife question

Justin: No, not really. By that logic a f8 mirror lens isn't slow on a 5d. The camera may be more sensative but were still only talking about a 1" not a aps-c.

Your right in that optics limits size of a lens if you want to keep a certain size camera but that doesn't give the rx100 a pass since at ISO 3200 f4.9 is still 2 stops slower then ISO 3200 on a f2.3 lens.

Not to mention the $$$ Sony asking. It's a nice camera but I think it's a bit crazy price wise.

Tim

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:24 AM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Point and shoot for wife question

My point is that lens speed needs to be considered in the context of the whole camera. Sure, f8 is slow on a 5D, but you can still probably capture a better image with a 5D at f8 than you can with an LX7 at f2.3.

RE: the RX100 vs. LX7, the RX100 lens is about one stop slower at the long end, and will likely make up for that with one stop better high ISO performance on the sensor, so it's a wash - obviously this is speculation since the LX7 isn't actually out yet.

I considered the LX7, and it looks like a good camera, but it is just enough bigger than the RX100 that it wouldn't fit easily in my wife's purse. I do agree that the price is a bit high on the Sony, but nothing is perfect.

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:03 PM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Point and shoot for wife question

talexander wrote:
Justin: No, not really. By that logic a f8 mirror lens isn't slow on a 5d. The camera may be more sensative but were still only talking about a 1" not a aps-c.

Your (sic) right in that optics limits size of a lens if you want to keep a certain size camera but that doesn't give the rx100 a pass since at ISO 3200 f4.9 is still 2 stops slower then ISO 3200 on a f2.3 lens.

Not to mention the $$$ Sony asking. It's a nice camera but I think it's a bit crazy price wise.

Tim

Can someone explain to me how the manufacturers derive the sensor sizes in inches? For example, the Nikon J1 is advertised as having a 1" sensor. However, it is 13.2mm x 8.8mm, which gives it a diagonal of 15.86mm (.62"). If you add the length and the height you get 22mm (.87"). So, I can't see how the 1" designation is obtained. Rounding up to the nearest half-inch, maybe?

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:28 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Point and shoot for wife question

Canon s100 vote here too. f/2 lens on the wide end, usable ISO 400, raw when you need it, smaller than a wallet. Not much more you can ask for. The larger sensors may produce slightly better technical quality, but they are not pocketable, which to me is a showstopper. The only reason to carry a smaller camera is if I can put it in a pocket. Otherwise I might as well carry a small dSLR.

Aug 12, 2012 at 02:47 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Point and shoot for wife question

Canon s100, it small enough fit in my pocket. Images quality is very good.

Aug 12, 2012 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.