Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

Fr3d
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

Hi,

I was hoping someone can give some info about how this lens performs.
Searching the net, it seems as if nobody knows this diagonal full frame
fisheye from Peleng even exists ...

thanks!

Edited on Aug 08, 2012 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:56 AM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

I don't have any specific information about the lens however it was being used to some extent by people doing VR panoramas before other (better) lenses became widely available. I believe, from what I can recall when researching this subject, that it's a pretty poor performer.
The obvious substitute (you don't say what format you propose to mount it on) is the Zenith 16mm. I have one in Nikon mount. It's barely acceptable stopped down to F8-11 but the coatings are poor and it suffers from both types of flare very badly.
Today the most cost-effective solution is one of the Samyang fisheyes. I have recently bought the mFT version and it's superb. I believe the versions for larger sensor formats are equally good. None of these is expensive.
Roy

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Fr3d
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

Thanks for the info Roy. I'm using a Canon 5D2 which rules out Samyang, as they don't make diagonal fisheyes for full frame. I'll be taking a closer look at the Zenitar now.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:21 PM
goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

the only thing I miss about APS-c is the samyang 8mm

fantastic lens. nothing at a comparable price point for ff, and since I don't use fisheye often I'm not looking to drop $600

Aug 09, 2012 at 03:28 AM
RoySussex
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peleng 17mm fisheye?

Fr3d wrote:
Thanks for the info Roy. I'm using a Canon 5D2 which rules out Samyang, as they don't make diagonal fisheyes for full frame. I'll be taking a closer look at the Zenitar now.

My mistake; I didn't realise there wasn't an FF version of the Samyang FE. The consensus seems to be that the Sigma 15mm is the best 3rd party lens in this design, although I believe it's almost as expensive as the Canon versions. You can definitely get OK results out of the Zenitar and it's cheap enough to buy and resell without losing too much money. Its weakness, as I mentioned, is that it's soft until stopped right down - particularly, I imagine, on a sensor with so much resolution - I used mine on a 12 mp D700 - and you have to keep it pointed away from bright light sources. I imagine you may well find a used version without difficulty... given that it isn't that great.
Roy

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password