Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

KiboOst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Maybe a silly question, but why no camera offer more than 30" shooting ? Of course we have bulb mode, and I use it with an external meter, but why metering/shutter could go down to 10min ?

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

You need a minimum amount of light to be able to get an accurate metering out of the high tech instruments known as DSLR metering systems. Those are very small because they can only occupy a small fraction of the space and weight of a DSLR.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:45 AM
KiboOst
• • •
p.1 #3 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

ok, so that's why my sekonic is able to get such slow speed but not DSLR ? They both say the same, until I reach 30" of course.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:16 PM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #4 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

The Olympus OM-2N from the 1970s went to 2 minutes. (I might add, in about half the size and weight of a Canon 5D.) AFAIK that is the longest of any production camera ever made, and it was done, in Av only, by measuring light reflected off the film during exposure. You did have to carry a table of reciprocity failure adjustments with you, and set the exposure compensation dial appropriately; with ISO 100 film that set a practical upper limit on the exposure time anyway.

It was said that the limit on the OM-2 and OM-2N was there so as not to confuse the photographer too much if they pressed the shutter with the lens cap on. (There was a separate limiting circuit to implement it.) My guess is this is why Canon do it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:32 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

I really don't think the limit has anything to do with metering capabilities. Most likely just an arbritrary limit imposed by Canon. With ND filters there are many situations where you can exceed the 30 seconds limit so out come a watch and bulb settings. Pain in the ass if this is really just an arbitrary limit.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

chez wrote:
Pain in the ass if this is really just an arbitrary limit.

Not a problem at all. Perhaps you should see a proctologist for your ailment.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:10 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Monito wrote:

Monito, seems like you have a constant burr up your butt. Maybe you should just take your own advice and get yourself checked out. You just might become a more likable fellow...but I have my doubts.

For me where I do quite often have exposures of more than 30 seconds...yes it is a pain to need to time the exposure with your watch. I'd much rather just click the shutter and have my multi-thousand dollar camera time the exposure for me.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:10 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

melcat wrote:
The Olympus OM-2N from the 1970s went to 2 minutes. (I might add, in about half the size and weight of a Canon 5D.) AFAIK that is the longest of any production camera ever made, and it was done, in Av only, by measuring light reflected off the film during exposure.

My Nikon FE2 will happily expose for 15-20 minutes (or more) in Av mode, and it does it quite accurately, too (assuming you correct for reciprocity).

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #9 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Your multi thousand dollar camera does keep track of the time of the exposure, it's in the small window on top of the camera
Whats a pain is that canon doesn't allow for permanent illumination of said LCD panel on any but the 1 series cameras, so when working at night you either use a watch(or smart phone) or buy a timer release

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:46 PM
longisland.km
• •
p.1 #10 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Does dpreview.com have a typo on the spec for the EOS M - they say the minimum shutter speed is 60s on it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

chez wrote:
Pain in the ass if this is really just an arbitrary limit.

Monito wrote:

chez wrote:
Monito, seems like you have a constant burr up your butt. Maybe you should just take your own advice and get yourself checked out. You just might become a more likable fellow...but I have my doubts. For me where I do quite often have exposures of more than 30 seconds...yes it is a pain to need to time the exposure with your watch. I'd much rather just click the shutter and have my multi-thousand dollar camera time the exposure for me.

No problems or pains here; you are the one experiencing them.

If a watch is too much trouble for you, get a remote timer. Seems painless enough either way.

Chris Anthony wrote:
Whats a pain is that canon doesn't allow for permanent illumination of said LCD panel on any but the 1 series cameras, so when working at night you either use a watch(or smart phone) or buy a timer release

... or an LED flashlight at the Dollar store. A smart phone can beep you when the time is up. It's a "21st century pocket watch".

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:59 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #12 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

you'd think they could make a menu in bulb mode where you enter whatever time you want

i just bought a $30 remote control and do it that way in the few instances when i need it. works great. just time it off my phone or in my head. once you get up there in time an extra second here and there doesn't matter much

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:25 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

molson wrote:
My Nikon FE2 will happily expose for 15-20 minutes (or more) in Av mode, and it does it quite accurately, too (assuming you correct for reciprocity).

REally, that must be where the FM3A inherited that feature from. I don't have a FE2 but I have a FE, FM and FM3A. They all have only 1 second on the dial as the max setting. Anything longer in M mode requires bulb with a locking cable thingie. Oddly, A (Av) mode goes much longer. The specs say 8 seconds for the FM3A in A mode but it seems to be closer to 2 minutes (at least that's all it gave under the conditions I tried).

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:39 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

For long exposures I just use the $30 intervalometer I bought from eBay. It will handle up to 99 minutes, repeat the sequence as many times as I want, delay between starting a sequence, etc.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:50 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

My old Pentax ESII did 30 minutes on auto exposure aperture priority.

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:32 PM
mabidally
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Long exposure noise on digital sensors might be a problem

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:33 PM
joakim
• • •
p.1 #17 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

goosemang wrote:
you'd think they could make a menu in bulb mode where you enter whatever time you want

Exactly, that must be a no-brainer to implement but I guess they rather sell extra remotes...

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:06 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

Canon gives you an easy way to do this. TC80-N3 timer remote.
Just dial in the desired long exposure.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171331_-1

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:01 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

abqnmusa wrote:
Canon gives you an easy way to do this. TC80-N3 timer remote.
Just dial in the desired long exposure.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_171331_-1

Yep, for a measily $200 you too can have longer timed exposures. I think I'll get a knockoff for $30...thank you.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #20 · Why no slower than 30" shooting

I recently purchased a triggertrap mobile, but it'll be a month before I get it and can test it out. Looks like a nice setup, so we shall see.

https://triggertrap.com/products/triggertrap-mobile/

Eta, can't seem to hot link the URL...

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password