Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ivalid ICC Profile Problem

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ivalid ICC Profile Problem

Hello,

I recently got some images from film that was scanned at a lab. When I imported these jpegs into LR4, They gave me an unhelpful error, invalid image or something like that. So in LR4, they are blank.

When I open these files in Photoshop CS3, I get a more helpful error message, "the embeded ICC profiles cannot be used because they are invalid. Ignoring the profile."

These images open up in CS3 and are viewable.

I do not understand the nature of this problem. Can someone help me understand what is going on? These images are black and white. Why can CS3 view the images but not LR4? What is lost when an ICC profile is ignored? What are the consequences of this? Finally, what would cause a ICC profile to be invalid?

Thank you for your help!

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:52 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Ivalid ICC Profile Problem

The embedded profile might be corrupt or it might not comply to ICC specs for how profiles are written. You need the right profile in order to display the file correctly in Ps. Ps uses both the source profile embedded in the file and you monitor profile to display the image. When you open the image and ignore the profile, Ps is then using whatever your default working space profile is as the image source. That may or may not be correct. You can alway use the Assign Profile command to assign a profile that makes the file look closer to what you want. Typically, most scans will have one of two or three profile possibilities - sRGB, Adobe RGB, or ProPhoto RGB. Try those and see what looks best.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password