Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Larry.Marshall

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

I have a Canon 5D Mark II, 1Ds Mark III, and just picked up a 1DX. I primarily shoot long exposure landscapes, next surfing, then pets. I bought the 5D II when it first came out and it only has about 100 clicks. It has been sitting on the shelf just about since I've had it. The 1DS III has been my workhorse for long exposures and has served me very well. It only has 11,146 clicks. My walk around camera is a Leica D-Lux 5.

I am having a difficult time deciding which body to sell, the 5D II or the 1DS III. I feel like I am stuck in the mud and can't make a decision so I decided to see if I could get some advice from the forum members.

What say you?

Larry

Larry Marshall
http://1-larry-marshall.artistwebsites.com/

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:58 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

can't say feel bad for you. You have some awesome gear!

I'd keep the 1ds3 and the 1dx. It sounds like you prefer using the 1ds3 over the 5d2.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:01 AM
WiLLGT09
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Larry.Marshall wrote:
I bought the 5D II when it first came out and it only has about 100 clicks. It has been sitting on the shelf just about since I've had it. The 1DS III has been my workhorse for long exposures and has served me very well.

Sounds like you should sell the 5D Mark II...unless you plan to start shooting video. Your 1DsIII seems to be working fine and has a heck of a lot of life left in that shutter.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:05 AM
jerbear00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

If you truly only took 100 clicks on your backup body why keep either. Sounds like you aren't shooting enough to need two. Sell both keep the 1dx

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:15 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Just rid yourself of the one you don't use...5d2. Heck you did not miss it when you owned it.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:27 AM
Larry.Marshall

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

That's a really good point!

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:31 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

jerbear00 wrote:
If you truly only took 100 clicks on your backup body why keep either. Sounds like you aren't shooting enough to need two. Sell both keep the 1dx

That's a good point as well.

Edited on Aug 08, 2012 at 02:13 AM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:39 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Larry, I'd either keep the 1ds iii or sell it and the 5d ii and get a 5d iii. either way sell the 5d ii.

The bad thing is the used values of the 1ds iii is tanking...

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:03 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Larry.Marshall wrote:
I am having a difficult time deciding which body to sell, the 5D II or the 1DS III. I feel like I am stuck in the mud and can't make a decision so I decided to see if I could get some advice from the forum members.

What say you?

I took the liberty of paraphrasing your question...so now, let's take a look at what you said:

Larry.Marshall wrote:
I bought the 5D II when it first came out and it only has about 100 clicks. It has been sitting on the shelf just about since I've had it.

The 1DS III has been my workhorse for long exposures and has served me very well. It only has 11,146 clicks.

5D II = "100 clicks" & "sitting on shelf"
1DS III = "workhouse" & "served me well"

Hmmmm...which one to sell? I think the answer is in your own words.

HTH,
Omar

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:07 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Id sell both the 5D2 and 1DS3 and get a 5D3. But between the 5D2 and 1DS3 il keep the 1DS3. I have one along with my 5D3. The Image quality is quite close.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Id sell both the 5D2 and 1DS3 and get a 5D3. But between the 5D2 and 1DS3 il keep the 1DS3. I have one along with my 5D3. The Image quality is quite close.

+1 on selling both and buying 5D3. Both new bodies are going to be better for long exposures and in-camera HDR and other related things.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

galenapass wrote:
That's a good point as well.

This seems like the best option, but I'd sell the 5D2 now and keep the 1Ds until you've worked with the 1DX long enough to truly evaluate it. No need to be hasty.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Larry.Marshall

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Jeff,
That sounds like the best option to me. Thanks

Larry

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:11 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Hey Larry,
With gear like that, only 11,000 shots?
You need to get out and shoot more.
I live in Carlsbad as well and just the local sunsets alone should get you over that mark. Not to mention surfing - I think I shot a couple thousand at one competition.

Hope to see you out there with the new 1DX. Maybe you can lend it to me some time.

In regards to the gear change, +1 to what Jeff said.

Edited on Aug 08, 2012 at 04:19 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:22 PM
Larry.Marshall

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Nearly all of my surf photos were shot with my Canon 1DN II, the 1DS was just too slow!

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:28 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Being that you said the 5DII is just sitting on your shelf, I would be inclined to say that you should sell that while keeping the 1DsIII. Just my $.02 though.

-Nick

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:43 PM
WiredMike

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

Have an idea. Send me the 5D2 or the 1Ds. I will hold on to it for as many years as it takes for you to truly realize that you don't miss it.
Honestly if I had a 1Dx I would sell the other two, keep the Leica for a walk around and invest in some new glass.
Mind you I am a prowannabesumer, but from what I have been reading wouldn't the 1dx cover just about everything you listed?

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

With the new 1DX I would guess that your 1DS III will start to sit on the shelf as well. If you don't need a back up camera, I'd sell both the 5DII and the 1DS and just use the 1DX. Save the funds to buy another lens, it will hold it's value better.

If you do need to keep another DSLR body, I'd keep the 5DII. Reason being is the 1DS is similar to your 1DX. The 5D is lighter and can be useful if your hiking somewhere for landscapes. Also the value of the 1DS in the used market is higher than the 5DII, better to sell the 1DS as it's value will depreciate quicker than the 5DII.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:39 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which Canon body should I keep/sell?

I would keep the 1DX and get rid of the others. They are losing value every day they sit on your shelf. And with the having 1DX they will likely not get much usage in the future.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password