Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic p...

nonverbal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Previously to my current setup, I used the 1D Mark IV with the Canon14mm 2.8 II for landscape and got wonderful results (both with occasional freehand use and with most often everything set on a tripod). Beware if you rent this lens...you'll want it badly after a day of use.

Best, Chuck

Aug 09, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Gib Robinson
• •
p.2 #2 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

I invested in a Nikon 14-24 with an adapter. that's a good landscape lens on the 1DIV, but I am looking forward to the 24-70 vII.

--Gib

Aug 09, 2012 at 06:24 PM
nelsonal

p.2 #3 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

boingyman wrote:
Just curious for the ultra wide junkies what UWA lens you would choose with the 1D4 or any other ASP-H camera? What would be a good equivalent to 16mm or wider on FF.

I cut the hood off one of those Samyang 8mm fisheyes, there's a tiny portion of the corner that's blocked but it's plenty wide.

Aug 09, 2012 at 07:49 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.2 #4 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

I'm deciding between the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II, and the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 which can be mounted on the 1D bodies after a very simple modification.

http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/canon-10-22mm-ef-s-to-ef-conversion-2/

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Greggf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

To the OP...The 1D4, as all have said above is an all around awesome camera. for ultra wide work, and besting the 16-35ll in a huge way, is ..., well, the Nikkor 14-24G, adapted to fit Canon. Thre is also the 14's, with the Rokinon/Samyang giving the name brands a serious run for their money!
Gregg

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:18 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Photon wrote:
That is the one drawback to using the 1.3 crop for landscapes. If and when you want an ultra-wide view, 14 mm (equivalent to about 18 on FF) is about as far as you can go with a single shot. However, stitching works for many situations. A TS-E can be used for stitched panoramas without moving the camera. Pricy lenses, though. The 16-35 can do a lot on the 1D4 (and so can the 300/2.8 - bonus!), and the good live view implementation is great for landscape work.

Sigma 12-24 in either version anyone?
A Tokina 11-16 works from about 13mm on APS-H and doesn't need any modifications like the EF-S 10-22. Probably has no chance to collide with the mirror either (no idea; I only tried a Tokina 12-24 on APS-H).

Aug 10, 2012 at 05:31 AM
gadget_

p.2 #7 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

I've used the 1D4 for the last 3 years almost exclusively. 1.3 crop wont slow you down. Stitch if you need wider, use HDR if you need more EV range. Here are some of mine from my 1D4:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67627410@N04/sets/72157627576384539/

Aug 10, 2012 at 07:22 AM
e.aland
• •
p.2 #8 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Used the 1D3 for landscapes over 2.5 years, than added a 1D4 for the resolution plus.
Already the 1D3 works very fine for landscapes.
Of course the 1D4 offers more resources for cropping.
Big question is what lenses are the good ones for landscapes on APSH.
1635 is perfect for itís range (20-45). but the corner and border performance is not that good at infinity. Its outstanding for closer shots (resolution and micro contrast in the center is prime-like), but for max DOF it does not seem to be designed for it. Damn. Already bought the 1635 a 2nd time and itís border/corner resolution still not satisfies me. The 1st lens had a weakness on the left side, the new one on the right side. Border resolution of 2470 is better, but still not 100% satisfying.
Ended up with a 24L, missing a 17L or 14L now.
BTW, the 70300 (90-380 !!) is really nice for landscaping on a 1D3/1D4.
So, if I am doing landscapes, I most of the time use the 70300 and 70200 on the tele end and the 24L for wide angle. But I will send my 1635 in for control, FOV-wise itís great together with the 70300.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:31 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

big country wrote:
No, you won't be disappointed. the idea that a 1.3x crop camera cannot take amazing landscapes is absurd.

It will exceed your expectations.

+1 yes it will work really good for landscape also

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:51 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.2 #10 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

boingyman wrote:
Just curious for the ultra wide junkies what UWA lens you would choose with the 1D4 or any other ASP-H camera? What would be a good equivalent to 16mm or wider on FF.

Tokina 11-16 works well on the 1d4, and is about as wide as you can get on the aps-h.

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 06:27 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Killergoalie
• •
p.2 #11 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks again everyone for your very helpful replies.

@gadget_ : Stunning images! Thanks for sharing.

Aug 10, 2012 at 02:20 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.2 #12 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

JEFFERY Z71 wrote:
And what lens do you recommend for landscapes with a MKIV. I am a new owner of this body.

I have successfully used 15mm, 24/TSE, 17-40, 24-70, 50mm compact macro, and 70-200/2.8 I and II for landscapes.

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:35 PM
pKai
• • •
p.2 #13 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Here's a couple of recent ones...... both shot with 1D4 and 24-105 F4L

The 1D4 is as capable as any other high-end camera for landscapes. If the 1.3 crop doesn't hinder your shooting, then all is well. I do prefer my 5D2 and 16-35 2.8L II for most landscape work.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    24mm    f/9.0    1/20s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    32mm    f/6.3    1/20s    1600 ISO    +2.0 EV  

Aug 10, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Not 1D IV but 1D II landscape shots. I wish I had of had the 1D IV for this shots.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.2 #15 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Brilliant all round camera get one you won't be sorry..

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

big country wrote:
No, you won't be disappointed. the idea that a 1.3x crop camera cannot take amazing landscapes is absurd.

It will exceed your expectations.

This sort of reminds me of some discussions we have from time to time around here concerning the ability of high MP count full frame bodies that are not optimized for speed and their ability to photograph subjects like sports. In fact they can be used for that purpose, even though a camera like your 1D MK IV has advantages in that sort of shooting. Does a person who primarily shoots landscape and occasionally shoots certain sports need to add a camera like yours? Perhaps not. Does that make, say, a 5D2 or 5D3 the truly great sports camera? No.

By the same token, if your shooting primarily requires the feature set of the 1D MK IV and you think that from time to time you might find yourself shooting an occasional landscape photograph, you can certainly do that. You can certainly produce some fine landscape work with such a camera if you know what you are doing. But as with the person using the 5D2/3 to shoot action sports (which I've done with some success), the person using something like a 1D MK IV to shoot landscapes from the tripod will have something a bit less than the ideal tool for the job.

To illustrate the difference, while I'm not only a landscape photographer, that sort of thing forms a large percentage of my work. Some things that have value to me include:

- highest MP sensor since I make rather large prints.
- larger sensor since this optimizes the system resolution with a given lens
- well designed live view system for focus and composition
- ability to get good wide angle performance for certain subjects.

Some things that have essentially no value to me for landscape* work:

- large, heavy camera body - I have to carry this stuff
- high speed optimized AF system - most focus is done manually
- fast burst mode - rare to burst at all, and when I do I don't need speed
- built-in battery or a grip - carrying separate batteries is lighter and less bulk

I could go on.

So, if you happen to decide that a 1D4 is the ideal camera for your non-landscape work, be assured that it can produce some fine landscape photographs. There is no reason that they cannot aesthetically be as good as those produced on any camera. There are things that this camera will not do quite as well for such work, but you'll have to decide how important they are to you.

Now, if you are primarily getting a camera for landscape work, or if landscape is a major portion of your work, I would suggest that you consider other options, either for your primary camera alone (1Ds series or, better yet 5D series) or for the pair (some shoot a 7D plus a 5D series body).

One final note. If the very large landscape print sizes you mentioned are very important to you, that alone is an argument for a different body. Those print sizes push the envelope even of the full frame high MP cameras - unless you are after poster-quality work rather than fine art prints. (Your capitalization of "WANT" in your original post raises the question of whether you are considering your actual photographic needs objectively or possibly developing a bit of a case of Gear Lust of the "Must have a 1-series body" flavor.

Dan

*Note that my asterisked "no value for landscape" comment was "for me." :-)

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.2 #17 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks for the very thorough, and excellent feedback, gdanmitchell. I truly appreciate your time, and input.

I realize that a full frame body, such as the 1Ds Mk III, or 5D Mk III would be more suitable for landscape photography, and I will admit that there is a touch of gear lust flowing through my veins...I'm sure there's a little of that in all of us. (If anyone says there isn't, they're LYING!! !)

That being said, I know that if I'd "settle" for a 5D Mk III, or a 1Ds Mk III, I'd always be questioning my decision, and likely still wanting a body with a higher FPS rate. A 1D Mk IV.

Yeah a 1Dx would be awesome, but financially, a 1D Mk IV and a used EF 300mm f/2.8L I.S. is much more feasible, and makes more sense at this time...or when I'm ready to purchase.

I love the feel of the 1D/1Ds series bodies, and that is what I want.

To be honest, the landscape photos I've seen posted here, on P.O.T.N., and on Flickr taken with the 1D Mk IV have been excellent. I have no doubts that I would be very pleased with the results.

Heck I've enlarged photos taken with my Canon A2 film camera on Velvia 50 film up to 24x36 and they look great. (I'm talking fine art prints), so I'm sure I'll be completely happy with the prints from the 1D Mk IV.

I would love to see more landscape images from the 1DX, esp images with bold, vibrant, rich, brilliant, bright, colors. I'd actually like to see more images of any type from the 1Dx with bold, rich, vibrant, brilliant, eye popping colors!

Aug 13, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Netgarden
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

http://www.ocwildlife.com/Photography/Colorful-and-Unusual-Birds/22106016_cc5RwS#!i=1764403815&k=6pmzVDZ

Most are of wildlife, but you will get an idea of 1Dmk4 colors of which i prefer to be more true to color.
A few landscapes in here scroll down
http://www.ocwildlife.com/Photography/2012-Winter-wildlife-and/21467206_msZT9N

Aug 13, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.2 #19 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Very nice photos, netgarden! Thanks for sharing.

Colors are great!

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:01 AM
indiawilds

p.2 #20 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

JEFFERY Z71 wrote:
And what lens do you recommend for landscapes with a MKIV. I am a new owner of this body.

I have got excellent results with the Mark IV plus EF 16-35 f2.8 L II USM lens as well as with my EF 24-70 f2.8 L USM lens.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password