Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Killergoalie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Just curious as to whether anyone here uses the Canon EOS 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

I am in the market for a new DSLR, and I love, and WANT a 1 series body.

I shoot a variety of subjects from Wildlife, birds, landscapes, scenics, macro, some sports, a few portraits once in a while etc.

I LOVE the feel of the 1 series bodies with the built in grip.

I've tried non 1 series bodies with the grip attached, and it doesn't feel nearly the same.

I also want the high 10 FPS.

A 1Dx would be ideal, but I don't have that type of money.

Also if I did, I could likely buy a 1D Mk IV + a used EF 300mm f/2.8L I.S. series I lens. (with a few more shackles thrown in.)

So would I be totally disappointed in the IQ of the 1D Mk IV for landscape work?

I prefer to use as low an ISO as possible.

I would likely enlarge images up to 36" x 48" on occasion for fine art prints. But mostly no larger than 24" x 36".

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:14 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

No, you won't be disappointed. the idea that a 1.3x crop camera cannot take amazing landscapes is absurd.

It will exceed your expectations.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks, Big Country!

Very much appreciated.

This makes me feel a whole lot better.

Now just have to save up the money for a 1D Mk IV!

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:30 PM
rgold1963
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

What big country said! It's a great camera.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Well the old 1D II was not too shabby for landscape, and the 1D IV certainly has better IQ and resolution. 16MP is plenty for highly detailed landscape.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:41 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

I agree with all the above.

Cheers, Steve

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:48 PM
eric_m
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Have both the 1D4 and the 300/2.8 IS. Don't regret buying either one.

Landscapes aren't my strong suit, but it's served me just fine.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Gib Robinson
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Killergoalie,
You might check some of the reviews and threads comparing the 1DIV with the 5DIII.

I have a 1DIV and do use it for landscape but do not print larger than 16x20 and do not not what you would find acceptable, but the 1DIV is a solid performer. I did some quick head-to-head comparisons with the 5DIII and did not feel the difference in IQ for landscape warranted giving up the pro body and the reach of the 1.3 sensor. Again, you might find the differences more dramatic for larger prints.

--Gib

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses.

Much appreciated.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

You might want to look into the 1DsIII also. You won't get 10 fps, but you'll get a full frame sensor.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:30 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Besides the fact that the 1D Mark IV can do an excellent job with landscape photography in its own right, if you really need more than 16 megapixels (or if you really need to shoot wider than your widest lens will allow), you can always stitch multiple frames together. By stitching 3 or 4 frames together, you can get a wider field of view than you could get with any wide angle lens and a full frame sensor and also end up with a 40-50 megapixel shot. At this point, the stitching software has gotten so good that getting a quality end result can be accomplished with minimal effort and in minimal time.

Les

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:36 PM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Yes, I have (successfully) used the 1D4 for landscapes. It, along with a 70-200/2.8L, made a lot of landscape shots in my trip to Alaska last year. Mostly panoramas. On land, I used a tripod; on ship excursions, hand-held. Click on the "Panoramas" link in the URL below to see.

http://www.hfgilbert.com/images/AK/Whittier/index.html

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Thanks again everyone for your great responses.

I've tried the 1Ds III, and it is an awesome body but I want the higher FPS rate! Also the brighter rear LCD screen.

Amazing images HarryGilbert!

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:30 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Nope, takes terrible shots

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:23 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Game...Set...MATCH!!

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:44 PM
JEFFERY Z71
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

And what lens do you recommend for landscapes with a MKIV. I am a new owner of this body.

Aug 09, 2012 at 09:49 AM
drobertfranz
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

A good friend of mine printed a 2/1 ratio pano from a single image taken with the 1DMK4. He sized the print to 22"x44" and I was extremely impressed with it.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:37 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

JEFFERY Z71 wrote:
And what lens do you recommend for landscapes with a MKIV. I am a new owner of this body.

I've had very good results from my 16-35 f2.8L II. I know that many people say the edge performance is not great but on the 1D4 I don't see that anyways and I get the framing flexibility that the zoom provides.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:50 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

Just curious for the ultra wide junkies what UWA lens you would choose with the 1D4 or any other ASP-H camera? What would be a good equivalent to 16mm or wider on FF.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Does anyone use the Canon 1D Mk IV for Landscape/Scenic photography?

boingyman wrote:
Just curious for the ultra wide junkies what UWA lens you would choose with the 1D4 or any other ASP-H camera? What would be a good equivalent to 16mm or wider on FF.

That is the one drawback to using the 1.3 crop for landscapes. If and when you want an ultra-wide view, 14 mm (equivalent to about 18 on FF) is about as far as you can go with a single shot. However, stitching works for many situations. A TS-E can be used for stitched panoramas without moving the camera. Pricy lenses, though. The 16-35 can do a lot on the 1D4 (and so can the 300/2.8 - bonus!), and the good live view implementation is great for landscape work.

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:47 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.