Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

This was my first time there and it was honestly one of the nicest places I've ever been too. It's just 20 minutes from my house and I can't believe I never bothered to check it out; there are about 5 more beaches and state parks in every direction but this one was the most secluded.

I've been working pretty hard on processing these photos but they still leave a bit to be desired. Lots of times when I shoot sunsets I head out a few minutes before so I can get the nice light that comes after the sun actually sets. This time I decided to head out a full 2 hours early and was pleasantly surprised how nice some of the lighting was! I didn't bring a tripod along since it's too burdensome for casual shots anyway. In retrospect, I should've brought it and left it in the car since there were some cool night shots from the parking lot

The dunes. A lot of the beaches near me are actually struggling with erosion problems.

Dunes by justindong, on Flickr

Looking out into the sun.

Looking out into the Sun by justindong, on Flickr

This one I had to use HDR on since there was really not much I could do with the RAW file. I might give it another go later though since HDR left some nasty grain on the bridge. We're down under the main overpass that connects the barrier islands to the mainland.

Down Under the Robert Moses Overpass by justindong, on Flickr

Trapped! by justindong, on Flickr

I think I failed a bit with the composition here. I tried to get more of the rocks and moss in but it was hard since it was slippery (and I had my bag of gear over my shoulder). I stepped in what I'm fairly certain was a dead fish, as well as hundreds of baby mussels so I definitely have a physical investment in this shot -_-

Down Under the Robert Moses Causeway by justindong, on Flickr

Another one where the composition is slightly off. I tried my best to contort my body and get down low and close to the plank of wood but no matter what I did I couldn't get low without completely blocking out the sun too, and that was the most important element for me to get in. Curious what you all think

Captree State Park Sunset by justindong, on Flickr

Well into sunset at this point:

Left to Right, Hot to Cold by justindong, on Flickr

A final panorama of the scene:

Captree State Park at Sunset by justindong, on Flickr

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:17 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

Nice images!! As I kid, my grandfather taught me how to fish in those very same spots. I love the old place and everything from Captree to Robert Moses.

Need to get back up that way again one day....thanks for dredging the memories!

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

The rocks under the bridge are really nice. I would go back and work that location incorporating those rocks in the shots trying to also get the green in the moss?

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:35 PM
sailingpilot
• •
p.1 #4 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

Justin - you need to get out more!

I kept my boat on the bay for several years. Only been gone a few weeks - miss it already.

#1 - nice comp, blues, golds, and greens.

#3 - you could try cropping out most of the overhead bridge deck, maybe like this?:

Final pano - again, nice comp and colors. Great sunset!

Gregg

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:41 PM
justindong
• •
p.1 #5 · Captree State Park (NY) at sunset

CarlG wrote:
Nice images!! As I kid, my grandfather taught me how to fish in those very same spots. I love the old place and everything from Captree to Robert Moses.

Need to get back up that way again one day....thanks for dredging the memories!

Yup, I always head out to Robert Moses - the bay side and trail leading up to the lighthouse is particularly nice. I always see the signs for Captree since it's the exit right before the causeway bridge and I'm always accidentally in the exit only lane! Thought it was about time I checked it out

sailingpilot wrote:
Justin - you need to get out more!

I kept my boat on the bay for several years. Only been gone a few weeks - miss it already.

#1 - nice comp, blues, golds, and greens.

#3 - you could try cropping out most of the overhead bridge deck, maybe like this?:

Final pano - again, nice comp and colors. Great sunset!

Gregg

Thanks! I like the cropped version more - I'll play around with it some on my own

Sneakyracer wrote:
The rocks under the bridge are really nice. I would go back and work that location incorporating those rocks in the shots trying to also get the green in the moss?

I actually have two more that showcase the rocks but thought they might be a bit redundant so I didn't post them:

Bridge is in the way but I don't think it's TOO intrusive. If I go back I'll try to use a greater DoF for the rocks in the very foreground:

Sunny Day in the Bay by justindong, on Flickr

No idea what the rusted support is but it was helpful to brace against it for the first picture

Mossy by justindong, on Flickr

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password