Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · NAS?
  
 
iShoot
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NAS?


Sorry if this is being brought up all the time. But I'm stuck and any advice is appreciated. I'm looking for a NAS or DAS that is at least 4 bay and can switch out drives. The drives don't have to be a "hot" switch. I've looked at Drobo but I have read they have heating issues and can lead to drive failures. I like the G-Safe and the G-Speed but can you switch out any drive or does it have to be a drive from G-Tech? I would like to have FW800 and eSata. Any advice would be of help. Thank you so much!

Clarified in a later post, but I'm on a OSX set up.

2008 8-Core Mac Pro.

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 08:34 PM · View previous versions



Aug 07, 2012 at 07:26 PM
Kittyk
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NAS?


self.made
with Windows Home Server

it is 30% more work if it works

but 100000% less work if something goes wrong



Aug 07, 2012 at 07:41 PM
ryan21
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NAS?


For OSX or Windows or Linux? What hardware? Do you have thunderbolt?


Aug 07, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Inku Yo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NAS?


NAS is only good if you have multiple workstations trying to access the same data. I have a NAS and could have done without it.


Aug 07, 2012 at 08:21 PM
ryan21
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NAS?


If you are looking for a Mac setup that has Thunderbolt I have been using the Promise Pegasus RAIDS (R6) since they hit the market. I have two of them, one clones to the other for redundancy... then I have CrashPlan backup everything in the cloud. Easy and super fast access. If you have an older mac you can use the thunderbolt to firewire 800 adapter to get by until you get a newer computer.

If you have a PC then I think doing your own DAS with windows server is probably the best route. Gtech drives are good though, I have also used Drobos but not the new ones... my one niggle with the old drobos are their speed which seems to be solved by the new 5D.




Aug 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM
FrancisK7
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NAS?


Consider a ZFS server. I built an 8 drives server. Cost me a little more than a 8 bay Drobo, but have better redundancy, and more space (8x2TB gives me 10TB of usable space).

Check it out:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573272

It's also more efficient and faster than any hardware based RAID arrays



Aug 07, 2012 at 08:26 PM
iShoot
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NAS?


Sorry guys, I'm on a Mac.


Aug 07, 2012 at 08:27 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



soupcxan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NAS?


If you can clarify what you're trying to do with this setup, it would help. Do you want multi-user simulataneous access over the LAN? Or do you want super-fast single user access?

If you really want a NAS I would look at Synology's stuff. It is slick but limited to access via the LAN.

If you want eSATA and FW800 for access by one computer at a time, a 4-bay drive enclosure would be more appropriate and cheaper than a NAS.



Aug 07, 2012 at 08:33 PM
bertpalmer
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NAS?


Synology!

http://www.synology.com/index.php?lang=uk



Aug 07, 2012 at 08:42 PM
iShoot
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NAS?


soupcxan wrote:
If you can clarify what you're trying to do with this setup, it would help. Do you want multi-user simulataneous access over the LAN? Or do you want super-fast single user access?

If you really want a NAS I would look at Synology's stuff. It is slick but limited to access via the LAN.

If you want eSATA and FW800 for access by one computer at a time, a 4-bay drive enclosure would be more appropriate and cheaper than a NAS.



Single user would be just fine.



Aug 07, 2012 at 11:49 PM
SloPhoto
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NAS?


FrancisK7 wrote:
Consider a ZFS server. I built an 8 drives server. Cost me a little more than a 8 bay Drobo, but have better redundancy, and more space (8x2TB gives me 10TB of usable space).

Check it out:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1573272

It's also more efficient and faster than any hardware based RAID arrays



OpenSolaris can be a PITA. I went with FreeNas based ZFS system. Not quite as fast, but a ton easier to get up and running.

To the OP, what are you planning on using this for? A NAS may not be the best choice.



Aug 08, 2012 at 01:14 AM
ryan21
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NAS?


Seriously if you have a Mac, get a Promise Pegasus and the firewire adapter so when you get a new Mac your new system can take advantage of the speed.


Aug 08, 2012 at 01:48 AM
iShoot
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NAS?


SloPhoto wrote:
OpenSolaris can be a PITA. I went with FreeNas based ZFS system. Not quite as fast, but a ton easier to get up and running.

To the OP, what are you planning on using this for? A NAS may not be the best choice.


Just for storage. I do want an enclosure like the G-Speed. I think I worded my title incorrectly. I thought these were just called NAS, but I definitely think I'm going for a DAS.



Aug 08, 2012 at 05:07 AM





FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password