Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

greglumley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

Finally got a new 5D3 and shot my first wedding with it... I have moments of being blown away to moments of going hmmmmm so this is an "upgrade?"

I definitely find focus slow in low light, slower then the 5D2, I'm still at that point where I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but anyway....

The thing that is really bothering me is the shutter release... it seems so "sensitive" i.e. between half-press and release once focused. I'm finding it needs much less pressure to fire the shutter...

This had me misfiring many shots at a wedding on Saturday while still in the middle of framing... it's bloody annoying because your subjects think you have the shot and you end up having to say... um were' going to do another....

After my little rant the question has anyone else found this? I'm considering returning it...

Greg.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:51 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

It is a sensitive shutter in my experience, but since I use back-button focusing, it's kind of a non issue.

In terms of the low light focusing, I find that when the light levels get REALLY low, then it is slow, but once it acquires focus, it really is in focus. I think the 5D2 felt faster in terms of focus acquisition but it rarely focused correctly to begin with.

Focus assist beam (with an attached 600ex) seems to make it slower than not using focus assist in my experience...although that makes no sense to me at all. Often times I'll forgo the assist beam unless it's pitch dark.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:56 PM
DmitriM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

you are right on all points...unfortunately.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:43 PM
frugivore

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

dhp_sf wrote:
It is a sensitive shutter in my experience, but since I use back-button focusing, it's kind of a non issue.

In terms of the low light focusing, I find that when the light levels get REALLY low, then it is slow, but once it acquires focus, it really is in focus. I think the 5D2 felt faster in terms of focus acquisition but it rarely focused correctly to begin with.

Focus assist beam (with an attached 600ex) seems to make it slower than not using focus assist in my experience...although that makes no sense to me at all. Often times I'll forgo
...Show more

Which AF point were you using when experiencing slow focusing? Also, which lens/focal lengths?

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:03 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 "Touchy" shutter release

frugivore wrote:
Which AF point were you using when experiencing slow focusing? Also, which lens/focal lengths?

Pretty much across the board-- center point/outer points. Center is probably a little faster. And a variety of lenses all behaved similarly 35L, 50L, 85L, 70-200L 2.8

But like I said, typically more of an issue with near pitch black conditions. And I do have my AF set heavily to focus priority, which also will delay the shutter if it isn't accurately in focus. Those who want faster release may want to shift their settings to Release Priority in the AF settings and see if that works better for you.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password