Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Product Photography ideas

Red 90
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Product Photography ideas

I've been asked by my significant other to photograph some of her knitting projects. One of which is a childs backpack which she will be giving away as a gift next week.

Honestly... I'm at a complete loss as to how to do this. My mind is a complete blank when it comes to photographing products.

The backpack is rather flat, and I don't have any children to photograph it with. I thought about just putting it down on a background and taking photos. I have all the gear and off camera flashes to light it up as needed... but I think it feels rather flat and uninspiring.

I want to be able to make this pop and show off the knitting that my GF has worked hard on, but I've never done any product photography and really don't have a clue. I've searched the web and haven't found any decent shots to copy the scenes of.

I also have to work within the constraints of my small apartment or bring it outside to photograph.

I was wondering if any of you guys have any ideas to push me in the right direction. I just have to be able to visualize something to try to make it happen, but I'm having a hard time even visualizing anything that looks decent.

Any ideas appreciated!!! thanks a lot and sorry if this is posted in the wrong section... I'm not sure where to ask this question.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Product Photography ideas

Not really a critique question, but can you/she barrow a largish doll to model the backpack? If forced to image the pack without a subject, try stuffing it with a suitable soft filler to shape it and photograph with soft light on a plain background of contrasting color with something included to give a sense of scale.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:46 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Product Photography ideas

Karen gave you great advice... This is the link that could / can be more specific... http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/44

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Product Photography ideas

Thanks I'll try that and be sure to post for some comments

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Product Photography ideas

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4
Pic 5

Just some pics I shot last night of the knitted back pack. Any additional ideas on placement or comments are welcomed.

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Product Photography ideas

What to show depends upon how many images you can post. I suspect it's best to show the front and back The front because it's the "cute" sell and the back because it shows the straps and how the backpack is attached - the practical sell. Pic 5 showed the straps well. I'd suggest omitting the books. They clutter and hide too much. Also, books are not standard sized and don't help with scale. The crayons are good for scale.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Product Photography ideas

I liked 1-3 best but they all need some cropping to eliminate black shadows behind the couch.

I think Antipode is correct, you need a back view, but I would suggest having it standing like the earlier shots.

Just my thouhts.

Aug 08, 2012 at 09:50 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Product Photography ideas

Karen and ben didn't mention it, but I think your lighting is nice. I would also suggest using a material behind them that is not as similar in appearance as the blanket you're showing (although it is a lovely blanket).

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Product Photography ideas

Thanks for the comments I'll try to redo the pics again. It was somewhat difficult to show the front with the back in one shot and still have it showing all the details of the front. It would have been nice if I can get a kid to model with the backpack on then it would be more apparent.

I wonder if I can make two shots one front and one back and then mask the image so it looks like there are two back packs in the same image. I'll have to give that a try.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Product Photography ideas

Perhaps a mirror?

Aug 09, 2012 at 12:12 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password