New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

Mike_A

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

I'm in the market for an L-bracket for a Canon 5D mk III with grip. I'm looking at eitehr Kirk or Really Right Stuff.

On the Kirk, to attach a neck strap, one end of the strap attaches to the bracket meaning that one would have to remove and re-thread the strap if the L-bracket were removed. On the RRS it appears that the strap can be threaded on the camera lugs and hence the bracket could be removed without disturbing the strap.

I would prefer to be able to remove the bracket without removing the strap. Is there an advantage to the Kirk approach...rigidity perhaps?

Has anyone tried both and have preferences?

Is anyone using a sling-style strap (single attachment point) with an L-bracket? If so, how are you attaching?

TIA!

Mike

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:33 PM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

I just bought the Markins bracket. It's nice, perfectly adequate as far as I can tell, and lighter than the others. --K

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:02 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

I have the camera specific kirk L plates on 5dii, 5diii, and 7d. I like them

It was odd that the L on 5diii required connection to plate, but it takes so long to get it off, if I was planning to take it off and on, I would not bother. Having the L plate adds protection to the body on the botton and one side.

I don't know if RRS fixed it but I heard some complaints that it did not fit snugly - look for Stanj comments on the issue. Likely its fixed now. But the Kirk worked out of the box.

Scott

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

I have the RRS 5D3 L bracket and its perfect. I just got it today therefore its the latest version and it fits snugly, zero movement. Its great.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Mike_A

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

Sneakyracer wrote:
I have the RRS 5D3 L bracket and its perfect. I just got it today therefore its the latest version and it fits snugly, zero movement. Its great.

Did you get the RRS bracket that works with the 5D with the BG-E11 grip attached?

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Mike_A

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

kevinsullivan wrote:
I just bought the Markins bracket. It's nice, perfectly adequate as far as I can tell, and lighter than the others. --K

I checked the Markins site and could not find one that worked with the BG-E11 grip attached...am I missing it?

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

Mike_A wrote:
Did you get the RRS bracket that works with the 5D with the BG-E11 grip attached?

Nope, body only. Sorry, missed that part in the original post But RRS brackets are top notch IMHO and its a great company so if you have any issues at all they respond quickly.

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:40 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kirk vs RRS L-Bracket for Canon 5DIII w/ grip and strap

BIG 'ol thread here on the RRS/Kirk plates (pre-grip):

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1103460/0

I ended up getting the Kirk PZ-148 which is the non-L plate and it is perfect. I returned the RRS L-bracket (Rev.A) as it didn't seem to fit all that well to me. I attach a Kirk clamp to the bottom of the PZ-148 and it has the nub for my Black Rapid strap for quick release of the strap.

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.