FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

toddlio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

This image was taken along the pacific coast in Costa Rica while scouting for some new seascape locations for my workshops/looking for original images. This image was processed from one raw file. In raw, with a little recovery there is no blown highlights. This scene was brief I just got set up my camera equipment and the sun was moving fast and was able to set up and shoot, the next few frames were completely blown out as the sun dipped below the clouds. I did bracket some shots after that but the color just wasn't as intense yellow as it is the sun just about to break through the cloud. Compositionally I tried balance out the hill on the left with the rock on the right and the stream of sand with the cloud stream above. I realize the horizon is about in the center but my thought was that the image really isn't about the horizon and there was enough going on in the image. By the way just below center there is bright spot at the full size it's perfect sunstar in the reflecting water. Let me know you thoughts. I also included a shot from my iphone of a 60 inch print of this image, printed on aluminum it adds a nice depth in person. *note the iphone photo really doesnt show depth,color, detail, dynamic range of the print Thanks for looking.

Harmony

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:57 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Hey Todd,

What a cool looking shot. It looks like you found a pretty good spot here. It does look very nice in print.

Jim

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Soozer

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Todd,
ooh! I love all the shapes and the colors! And you still saved the details in the shadows! right on. nice print too!

Sooz.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:26 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Nice shot Todd.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Pazzaz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Beautiful shot.

(I just found myself holding my hand up to block the sunlight to get a better view of the detail in the rocks!)

love it!

Patrice

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Awesome shots. Really like the deep blacks and the color.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:38 PM
toddlio
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Thanks everyone for commenting so far, I enjoy hearing feedback especially things like the deep black, I started in film over 20 years ago and I tend to shoot/keep deep blacks and silhouettes in most of my work. Understanding of course that the trend right now is towards hdr and or lots of shadow detail, so that may not appeal to some. On this this shot and the print I keep some true blacks and then just a hint of shadow detail.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

Nice job at holding details in the shadows. Love the reflection on the sand.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:53 PM
another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

An absolutely magical image, love the colors 'walking' from cool at the top to very warm at the bottom. The composition, depth, dynamic range, and colors are all just perfect. And it is nice to see such a deserving shot actually out in the real world to be looked at and admired! Very well done and thanks for sharing.

ML

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:02 PM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Harmony-Pacific Coast Costa Rica 2012

perfect...i can feel the ocean breezes

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.