New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Jay S
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

I used the GP-E2 on safari for a couple of weeks and was very happy with it while on the trip and in subsequently tagging photos of my various Canon cameras. My one issue is that I am unable to tag photos from the 1 non-Canon camera I shot with on the trip.

Used in logging mode, the GP-E2 lasted at least 4-5 days @ 7-8 hours per day, though I changed the eneloop battery each time before it died. I was on my 3rd battery after 12 days on safari.

Once turned on, it took about a minute to get a fix on my position in logging mode so I would turn it on just before walking to the vehicle for each game drive. I also did a few photos with the GP-E2 mounted in the hot shoe of my 5D mk 3 and the GPS coordinates were directed added to the metadata. With the GP-E2 in the hotshot the camera was too tall for my Gura Gear Kiboko 30L bag. Given that I shot with 2 5D mk 3s as well as a G10 (modified for infrared), an HF100 HD video cam and a Sony RX100 P&S, using a single GP-E2 as a logger was more practical.

Back home, uploading and viewing the logs to Canon Map Utility on my Mac was straightforward. The tracks looked accurate and didn't show any random changes in position. Using the program to tag 5D mk 3 RAW photos was easy as the auto tag function worked great once I synced the time zones. However, I had to tag batches of ~200 as the program crashed when I did 1,500. And, saving the data to the tagged files took several minutes for each batch.

My one issue is that the Canon Map Utility will not tag files from a non Canon camera, in this case a new Sony RX100, neither the RAW (ARW) or the JPG files.

Does anyone know how to best convert the log files to GPX format so I can use Lightroom 4 to tag my Sony files? On the Mac, I could not find the directory where Canon Map Utility saves the log files so my only option was to export them in KMZ format. I then extracted the KML file from the KMZ, which then displayed properly when viewed on Google Earth. When I then converted the KML to GPX using GPS Babel to use in Lightroom 4 to view/tag, the track looked corrupted - besides the original track there were other routes which rendered the file useless.

Is there a way to directly convert the files of the GP-E2 directly to GPX format and, if so, where are the GPX files saved (Mac)? Are there any settings that have to be made during the conversion so that the GPX will map the same as the original file?

Many thanks.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Hi there. I haven't used the GP-E2, but GPSbabel should be a good bet for conversion to GPX.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:33 AM
Jay S
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Thanks. I used GPS Babel but the resulting GPX file had all sorts of additional routes when I displayed it in Lightroom. I don't know if there are changes to settings that I have to make (sorry: newbie at geotagging).

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:35 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

I am sorry, I must have misread your original post (read it on my phone). Did you try the filtering options in GPSBabel? In this thread there are some options you might want to try (available as check boxes in the GPSBabel application): http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsbabel.devel/3391

Sorry for not being of any real help.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:18 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Jay S,
thank you for your comments on the GP-E2. It sounds easy enough.

I ordered a GP-E2 for GeoTagging my 5D III landscape shots.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:53 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Ah nm, reread the 2nd paragraph.

I dunno, thats a tough one, i bought it specifically just to directly tag the exif... Ive never found an external log program to work fluidly enough that it made sense to avoid the use of this one on the hotshoe

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:22 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

I should not need logging mode. I am going to use the GP-E2 in the 5D III hotshoe.
Unless I need the flash & then can connect USB to the camera.

Aug 08, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Jay S
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

If I were only shooting the 5ds then I'd consider getting a GP-E2 for each and avoid the (big) hassle of tagging as a separate step... Too bad that I find quality pocket cameras like the RX100 and S95 to be extremely useful as 3rd cameras.

Aug 08, 2012 at 11:11 AM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

Hello. What adapter did you use to connect the GP-E2 to your computer?

Aug 14, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Jay S
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

USB to USB cable. Can't recall right now if it is a mini or micro USB connector on the end of the GP-E2.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
hxbx

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · GP-E2 on safari. Question on converting to GPX format

I use on a Windows PC

GPS-Track-Analyse.NET v.6.0

to manipulate the logs from the GP-E2.

But this program is end of live and runs not on a MAC,
but I use both MAC & PC.

On a PC you can find the imported logs from the GP-E2

at C:/users/<your user name>/Documents/Canon Utilities/GPS Log Files

on a MAC also

at /users/<your user name>/Documents/Canon Utilities/GPS Log Files

There you can find files like 20120808.log.
You can rename this file to 20120808.nmea.

With this extension you can import the log with GPS-Track-Analyse.NET v.6.0 .
The big advantage of the tool is, that you can also select a single trackpoint and
delete it.

I need to do this for some logs from the GP-E2. In my point of view is the GP-E2
a very poor logger but great to write data direct to the EXIF.
Inside a city enviroment I got often very sensless log points.
As example I drive with my bicylce to my company and the logger is active
the complete day, but there is no GPS signal available inside the building.
The logger produce in this cases jumps to everywhere, sometimes twenty or fifty of
kilometers for one wrong point.
The same in the reality. Last week I stay one day in Venice, make a lot of photos
and use the GP-E2 as logger to.
But there was one wrong log point again, based on the missing GPS signal inside a church.
But the point is clearly wrong, because the was water between me and the wrong point ;-)

With GPS-Track-Analyse.NET v.6.0 I can fix this and delete this wrong point.
Then I can export the track to different formats like gpx.
But it is a shame, that such an expensive gear works worse as a logger app in my smart phone.

Aug 15, 2012 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.