Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

**Sorry if this has already been discussed**

When the 5d3 first came out, a number of people (myself included) noted that it was taking quite a while to lock focus in low light. I asked Canon about this but there was no reply on the point really...

Anyway. I think I've worked out what it is and thought this was useful info for others.

I didn't originally realise, but the new 600 flash from Canon contains a new focus assist light designed for the new AF sensor. It wasn't something that was heavily publicised. So I thought I'd do a quick test over the weekend with my 580EXII to see what happened if I turned off the focus assist on the flash and suddenly it was really snappy at acquiring focus again. So it's the focus assist that's the problem. In fact, I've found using the outer focus points with the 580exii focus assist gives really unpredictable focus results.

I've not got one of the new flashes yet but at the moment I *presume* this will solve the problem. If anyone else has one I'd be interested to hear their experience?

Hope this helps someone...

Phil

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:40 AM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

It only costs as much as a digital rebel. I have 3x580EXs. I guess it's time to sell two and get a new flash.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:47 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

Are you saying your camera focused BETTER with the focus assist turned off? If that's true then color me special I would not/haven not tried that based on the fact that the sole purpose of the FOCUS ASSIST beam is to ASSIST in FOCUSING. Lol.

I have been getting frustrated with the focusing, though. The biggest selling point for this camera was the new A/F and while everybody raves about it, I don't know if I agree anymore at this point.

B

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:29 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

Interesting... yeah, under low light conditions w/ 600EX, I do find it longer to focus. I have not tried with the 580EXII since that would defeat the purpose of going with the 600EX system.

Keith

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

I didn't find any discernible difference between the AF assist speed of the 580EX II and the 600EX on the 5D III. I only noticed that the 600EX has a slightly stronger/brighter projection beam which probably just aids in accuracy with the 61 points AF. As for the speed, the 600EX doesn't feel any much faster (or slower) to me.

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:46 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

I found the combination of the 5DMK2 + 580EXII quicker on focusing in the dark (receptions) than the 5DMK3 + 600EX-RT.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BGP1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

klee.007 wrote:
I found the combination of the 5DMK2 + 580EXII quicker on focusing in the dark (receptions) than the 5DMK3 + 600EX-RT.

Pretty much what I would have said..had hoped for the opposite of course.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:55 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

Well thats not great news...

Yes I found focussing faster without the focus assist but it wasnt pitch black (f4, iso2500, 1/80).

I'm going to do some more tests. Maybe someone else found do the same and see if they think the focus assist slows down focussing? Maybe canon set the accuracy too high with focus assist or something?

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

any chance the IR beams the 600ex throws out are not in a good location for the camera sensor to find?

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:32 AM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

Someone mentioned in another thread switching the AF "one-shot AF release priority" from "Focus" to "Release". Mine was set to "Focus" and switching it definitely allows you to shoot before it locks focus(good? bad? not sure)..so I guess I'll play with that to see what that does.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:40 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

Ziffl3 wrote:
any chance the IR beams the 600ex throws out are not in a good location for the camera sensor to find?

That's supposed to be the whole point of the new flash. It's supposed to work specifically with the new AF sensor..

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:43 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · S-L-O-W focus lock in low light with the 5d3

BGP1 wrote:
Someone mentioned in another thread switching the AF "one-shot AF release priority" from "Focus" to "Release". Mine was set to "Focus" and switching it definitely allows you to shoot before it locks focus(good? bad? not sure)..so I guess I'll play with that to see what that does.

It would be great to be able to have more than 2 settings. I do get the feeling they set the accuracy too high with focus assist beams..

Aug 08, 2012 at 08:44 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password