Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

okephoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

I purchased this lens about a month ago and have been very impressed so far with the VR system. Much of the work I have done is low light live music and the VR set to normal is perfect.

I'm going to be flying quite a bit in the next few weeks, most likely heading up for the first time in the next few days. My gut instinct is to set the VR at normal for the first flight and experiment a little with the VR set to active. I'll certainly do this if any of you with aerial photography experience can't recommend otherwise.

Have any of you that do aerial photography seriously used this lens? What are your thoughts? The platform is fixed wing for this shoot.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:02 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #2 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

I do believe you're supposed to set VR to active any time your on a moving platform (Car, Plane, Hot air Baloon, Magic Carpet, etc.)

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:05 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

"Magic Carpet" Yup, VR to Active >1000th sec SS
(Timmy Leary and I did quite a bit of this...long before they had VR)
My experience since, is limited to hot air ballooning.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:36 AM
viczig
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

I got a ride in a Blackhawk and I used my 70-200 VR1. I forgot about the normal/active switch so it stayed on normal. The shots came out fine, the doors were open and there was a fair amount of buffeting as I was in one of the outboard seats.

Vic

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:42 AM
okephoto

p.1 #5 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

Thanks for all the advice.

I like to keep my shutter speed in the 1/1000 (as trenchmonkey recommends) or higher range and of the thousands of aerials I have previously shot with non VR lenses this has worked fine.

I'll use both VR settings on the first flight and will see what sort of results I get. Will report back with my findings.

Now, if the weather forecast is correct!

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #6 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

VR should be turned OFF for shutter speeds of 1/1000 or faster (many say 1/500 or faster) as it will introduce random unsharpness from the cycle of the VR operation.
If you can use a high enough ISO to keep your SS up, you won't need the VR. If your SS is 1/800 or lower, VR should be in active.
While I always like to shoot with a lens hood, I usually take it off for aerial work where the camera will be out in the slipstream.
If you've had success with techniques before, keep 'em.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

okephoto

p.1 #7 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

Thanks Baywing,

I just found this from Thom Hogan where he discusses high shutter speeds, very informative. http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

Time to experiment a little - on the ground. I'll stick for now with the techniques I've been using for years.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Meleagris

p.1 #8 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

I shoot aerial shots on a pretty regular occasion through work. What lens I use is largely driven by the aircraft I am in. I frequently use the 70-200 VRII from a helicopter (Bell Jet Ranger) where the doors can be off and I have ability to move a little. I would say that I am not a fan of this lens in a fixed-wing plane (Cessna). For me (I'm very tall), this lens is too long to maneuver around me and the generally poor (photographically speaking) windows of fixed wings. I would STRONGLY consider having an additional lens (that is shorter in overall length) or two in your bag. Also, the 70-200 is to much magnification in many cases....I'd consider having a wide angle (I use the 16-35 VRII) or standard like the 24-70.

I generally work with the VR off and focus on shutter speeds in excess of 1/1000th second and have had no problems.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:19 PM
okephoto

p.1 #9 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

Hi Meleagris,

Thanks for the info, another vote for VR being off.

The 70-200 will be on a second body likely used only about 5% of the time. My main camera is a D8oo with the 24-70.

Fortunately no doors for me. I tried it once and was very dissapointed with the results.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #10 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

I think it really boils down to what you want to do, ie, vast vistas type shots or zoom in on just a building or two. Also, we don't know if the OP is shooting DX or FX, if FX then a 70-200 may be just right. In the air to air work I did years ago, it depended on the pilot of the other plane as to which lens I chose. One or two of them I needed the 35-70 (sometimes wished I had a 24-70!) and for other pilots, the 80-200 wasn't long enough.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM
okephoto

p.1 #11 · Aerial photography with the 70-200 VRII

Hi Baywing,

Shooting vistas for most of the work with a little "artsy" stuff thrown in. Wish I were doing some air to air.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password