Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · so long folks

jamach
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · so long folks

Well, I received my NEX-7 and Contax 90mm lens, the lens was super and the camera a whiz bang techno feast. I worked with it during the last couple of days and everything was fine. The image quality was outstanding. But today I went to one of my favorite haunts by the river and did get some shots of the GBH's doing their thing, and tried to get a shot of the eagle looking down at me from a tree in the distance. I did wish for more lens but was going crop in order to bring a picture in.

Sadly the sun was way too bright, the viewfinder kept going on and off. I turned off the lcd screen and just used the viewfinder, and even removed the viewfinder plastic gizmo that attaches. It did not matter, I was overpowered by the 100+ heat and way too much sun, and could not see the peaking things to focus properly. The pictures were pitiful and my eagle shot s were all blurry.

So, I maxed out the NEX-7 I think, and a friend sent me a link to a story about the brawny Pentax K-30, haha.

Now, I am looking at another Canon 1D3 or getting another Nikon D7000. I did sell all my old gear and wholeheartedly dived into the new gear with joy. Starting over is much quicker the umpteenth time around...

This finally proved to me that I would never be satisfied with a Leica 50mm like Cartier-Bresson, and that my camera has to be boondocks proof in any weather.

But I want you guys here to know your pictures are incredible, and I must have looked at several hundred easily, wow, I did want the NEX to work out so I could get a Oly 21 f3.5, 50 f1.2, Nikon manual lenses from last era or two, and more goodies.

Keep having fun, I do love making pictures as well

Joe

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:01 AM
cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · so long folks

You might try handling an OMD if you still want to stay alt. The EVF, for whatever reason, is a hell of a lot easier to use in full sunlight than Sony's VF (I'm basing this from usage of the A77 EVF, which should be the same as the NEX7). I'm not sure if it's how Sony manages the contrast or what, but I have no "wow that's dim" complaints when I shoot the OMD's EVF in full sunlight, unlike my A77 which was a noticeable "dimness" even maxed out, compared in a sunny day.

At least, to me it is much different. Anyways, good luck on whatever gear you get! I'm actually pretty close to selling off all my SLR stuff - I'm still debating it.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:59 AM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #3 · so long folks

None of the mirrorless cams are ready to take over all DSLR dominated areas, but some are getting close(NEX-7 & OMD)

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:16 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · so long folks

The EVF kept going on and off? Hmm, weird.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:35 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · so long folks

Bifurcator wrote:
The EVF kept going on and off? Hmm, weird.

Camera overheating. It can cause some interesting flakiness.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:02 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · so long folks

The Sony EVF is actually better than the OM-D EVF but the default settings crushes blacks and shadows on the NEX-7.

They can easily alleviate this, changing JPEG settings only work if you turn on the live preview mode but that has its own problems if you're using native glass in low light.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · so long folks

I am not sure what you mean with "actually".

The Olympus VF-2 (and I presume the OM-D) has smaller gaps between pixels, which I prefer to the NEX-7, in side-by-side comparisons. I also believe that it updates faster. Which is better depends on what you want. Mere resolution isn't decisive.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:36 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · so long folks

I use them side by side frequently, in practical use the OM-D is better because it has non-idiotic EVF settings. It looks great but it's like comparing a 720P TV to a 1080P (set poorly). There is no doubt that the 1080p TV is capable of delivering more.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:50 PM
RickPerry
• • •
p.1 #9 · so long folks

My experience was that I hated the Sony EVF and I liked the OM-D EVF - I can see through it well enough to compose - not so with Sony!

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · so long folks

FlyPenFly wrote:
I use them side by side frequently, in practical use the OM-D is better because it has non-idiotic EVF settings. It looks great but it's like comparing a 720P TV to a 1080P (set poorly). There is no doubt that the 1080p TV is capable of delivering more.

...more resolution, agreed. My point was that if some other aspects are better on the VF-2/OM-D, then not everyone will prefer the NEX-7/A77. It is a question of taste. If the NEX-7 VF overheats or reacts badly in sunlight, and the OM-D doesn't, then that would be another point for the Olympus tech. Maybe the A99 will change this.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:27 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · so long folks

It's the sensor overheating. I haven't tested how much it takes the omd to heat to shutdown but I doubt it's immune either.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · so long folks

jamach wrote:
Sadly the sun was way too bright, the viewfinder kept going on and off. I turned off the lcd screen and just used the viewfinder, and even removed the viewfinder plastic gizmo that attaches. It did not matter, I was overpowered by the 100+ heat and way too much sun, and could not see the peaking things to focus properly. The pictures were pitiful and my eagle shot s were all blurry.

So, I maxed out the NEX-7 I think, and a friend sent me a link to a story about the brawny Pentax K-30, haha.

This sounds like a matter of horses for courses. In that situation, an SLR with optical finder would have been much better, as would phase detect AF. EVF's still have a ways to go and the one on the NEX-7, while one of the current best, can be frustrating to use in certain situations. I recently picked up a new Pentax K-5, which are being blown out at the moment for around $800 and I have to say it's a lot of camera for that kind of $. The optical finder was a nice welcome coming from using the NEX-7 EVF.over the last few months. I chose the K-5 over the K-30 mostly due to the build quality/ ruggedness as well as the fact that it's sensor has the best DR and possibly file quality (excepting ultimate resolution which goes to the NEX-7) of any APS even now.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · so long folks

man, somebody really needs to market a decent eyecup for the NEX-7! the biggest problems with the viewfinder are the eyepoint and the fact that ambient light is not blocked at all. i get much better results using a random poor fitting rubber lens hood than i do with the factory eyecup.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:55 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · so long folks

Weird, my NEX-7 eye cup is actually nicer than the factory OM-D eye cup. Olympus does sell a replacement much longer eye cup but I haven't found the need for it.

Maybe these cameras are just designed around flatter Asian faces?

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:22 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · so long folks

FlyPenFly wrote:
Weird, my NEX-7 eye cup is actually nicer than the factory OM-D eye cup. Olympus does sell a replacement much longer eye cup but I haven't found the need for it.

Maybe these cameras are just designed around flatter Asian faces?

makes sense, they seem to me marketed more and sell better in asian countries.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:36 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #16 · so long folks

Wow,

sebboh wrote:
man, somebody really needs to market a decent eyecup for the NEX-7! the biggest problems with the viewfinder are the eyepoint and the fact that ambient light is not blocked at all. i get much better results using a random poor fitting rubber lens hood than i do with the factory eyecup.

Big eyes, aye?

Edd

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:10 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · so long folks

roboticspro wrote:
Wow,

Big eyes, aye?

Edd

rangefinder pancake lenses have quite small rubber hoods. but yeah, it's a little bigger than necessary.

Aug 08, 2012 at 01:36 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password