Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

That I don't see on the disc....do you know why ?

Frankly I can't remember what I had for lunch two days ago much less remember
which photos were on a disc.

How do you answer your clients ? I have encountered this before, but this wedding was
months ago and the groom is just now asking. How the heck can he remember.

I've told clients in the past that if they are not on the disc then they were either out of focus, a duplicate that is on the disc already or there was something about the image that made it not suitable for delivery.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:56 AM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Perhaps they confused you with someone else who was taking pictures.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:04 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Scott Mosher wrote:
Perhaps they confused you with someone else who was taking pictures.

Hmmm, interesting thought. Their weddings was like 6 months ago. How the heck can he remember what was taken. Once I deliver the finals, I don't keep the rest. They're gone.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:10 AM
tobicus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

We'd just tell them that the pictures didn't turn out well.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:11 AM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

tobicus wrote:
We'd just tell them that the pictures didn't turn out well.

"well what was wrong with them " ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:19 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #6 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

marti.g3 wrote:
"well what was wrong with them " ?

Blurry, out of focus, blinks, ninjas, UFOs...

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:25 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

'nope I gave you all of them, I don't get rid of anything anyone might want trust me'

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:18 AM
HLPoulos
• • •
p.1 #8 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

I had this situation recently with a client. It was a newborn session, not wedding, though. His email was a quite scathing, which is a first for me in business. They loved the photos (and I even went to their home twice because the first time the baby was awfully fussy and colicky, poor guy), but they remembered me taking several that didn't end up in the final cut.

The premise of his email was "how dare you not deliver everything you shot; this was a time in our lives we can't recreate ... we should be the ones who decide which photos are good, not you." Weellllllll ... I guess I see his point. But that's just not how it works. I'm not going to send OOF bloopers out into the world for everybody to see. I am in the low/mid price range in my area, but I'm not a shoot and burn operation.

I was kind of feeling bad about it, so I sat on his email for a day before responding. Then I remembered that they told me that they had a bad experience with their wedding photographer (who is well known in my [former] region and here on FM for doing quality work) and I stopped feeling so bad about it. There's absolutely nothing in my contract that says I'll deliver every single shutter click.

Long story (sorry), I feel your pain. What I ultimately did was wrote and let him know that I delivered everything I considered a "keeper," the "outtakes" (for lack of a better word) were gone, and I advised him (only because of the scathing tone of his email) to discuss these details with their next photographer before they signed a contract (because they obviously had specific wants).

ANYway. Did not mean to hijack. I haven't heard back from him, so I guess maybe he understands.

That is all.

Haley

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:38 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #9 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Are you clear in consultation, contract, other writing, and other conversation what the process is? I've had this problem before. I think the important difference now is when they're actually delivered I actually reiterate that this is "all the images", as ultimately people can forget these things smaller things months down the line, even if it's covered in the contract & consultation.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:57 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

I haven't had this come up, but it makes me think a response could be something like, "if you want all pictures including the bad ones, it's time to buy your own camera" because any pro photographer is not going to hang themselves by delivering the stuff that makes you look bad.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #11 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Good response from Haley! Some people have unreasonable expectations for just about everything...

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:47 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #12 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Yup, it's been in our contract since day 1 that we decide what we deliver, and our decisions are final.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:38 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #13 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

ricardovaste wrote:
Are you clear in consultation, contract, other writing, and other conversation what the process is? I've had this problem before. I think the important difference now is when they're actually delivered I actually reiterate that this is "all the images", as ultimately people can forget these things smaller things months down the line, even if it's covered in the contract & consultation.

I specifically make it a point during consultation to pound that fact into their heads AND I have a disclaimer that they sign stating that "the studio will have final decision on all delivered images"..............but from consult to wedding to months after the wedding they forget. It's frustrating when their email makes it sound like you cheated them out of their right to choose which photos they get.

Im not stressing over it. Just was interested in hearing some different responses. As you all know, i'm not the most diplomatic person and am making a serious attempt to be nicer when giving explanations to clients instead of telling them " hey, this is what you get, read your contract moron".................

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:56 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

tobicus wrote:
Yup, it's been in our contract since day 1 that we decide what we deliver, and our decisions are final.

Same here. I'm just trying to be nicer in my tone in how I "tell" them.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:58 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #15 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

you looked really fat in them and had a piece of parsley stuck in your teeth.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

You had more Chins than a Chinese phone book.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #17 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

It put to memory as best as possible any image that someone specifically says, "Hey, take a picture of me and so-and-so."

Also, tell people, "DSLR's aren't uncommon these days. I saw 5/10/100 of them at the wedding. Maybe you mixed me up with someone else, but I can honestly tell you I don't have a picture like the one you described."

My first wedding in 2011, someone with a big point-and-shoot shot over my shoulder the entire time. When the bride asked me about photos, I told her it must have the other guy, because she asked me about multiple shots that I know I never took.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #18 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

"if you want all pictures including the bad ones, it's time to buy your own camera" because any pro photographer is not going to hang themselves by delivering the stuff that makes you look bad.

Love these sentiments, though a response like this would have to be delivered on the phone or in person, where tone of voice adds appropriately light-hearted and sympathetic context.

When clients complain this way, they are often suffering from a momentary lack of confidence in you, their photographer. It's interesting that the OP notes the client reported having a bad experience with another photographer. Quality of work isn't the issue -- trust is.

If you set up the relationship the right way ahead of time (at booking, when you explained your culling process), then you can restore confidence by reminding them that your interests and theirs are aligned, and that you care first and foremost about their satisfaction.

We tend to get defensive when people complain this way, but I think it's more effective to be confident and caring, without coddling or encouraging idiocy. If the client can't be mollified, fine. But probably a phone call in a sympathetic and non-condescending tone can remind the client why he was confident in you at the outset.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:37 PM
ted nghiem

p.1 #19 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

Robin Usagani wrote:
You had more Chins than a Chinese phone book.

+1 hahaha!

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:52 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #20 · There were some photos that I remember you taking....

"When clients complain this way, they are often suffering from a momentary lack of confidence in you, their photographer."

I totally disagree with this viewpoint. How can you even begin to know what is in the heart and mind of a client that YOU have not even met, or know anything of the dynamics of the wedding, what they purchased etc. ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password