Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Binh Ly
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

[8/21 Update] Firmware is available now...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2885

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens firmware v1.2.0 is now available for download (for Mac OS only at this time).

Firmware Version 1.2.0 addresses the following phenomenon

1. If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

A Canon EOS 1D X, 5D III (at v1.1.3 or later) or a Rebel T4i/650D is needed to install the upgrade. Alternatively, the lens can be sent to Canon Service to have the firmware upgrade installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2822

From Canon USA:

To Users of the EF40mm f/2.8 STM Interchangeable Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

Thank you for using Canon products.

It has been confirmed that the autofocusing function of the EF40mm f/2.8 STM lens, which was released in June 2012, may not operate correctly.

The details of this phenomenon are described below.

Affected Product

EF40mm f/2.8 STM

Phenomenon

If pressure is applied to the lens barrel while the lens is mounted to the camera (pressure can be applied even while attaching the lens cap or while carrying the camera with the lens attached in a bag), the autofocusing function of the lens may stop working.

*This phenomenon does not occur during normal shooting.

*This phenomenon does not result in a malfunction of the lens.

Workaround

When the above phenomenon occurs, detach and reattach the lens, or remove and reinsert the camera battery to restore the operations.

Market Support

The firmware to address this phenomenon will be available for download in late August, 2012.

Once this firmware is ready, we will make an announcement on our Web site.

Support

This information is for residents of the United States and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico, please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

Edited on Aug 21, 2012 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:01 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #2 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for posting this, though I haven't experienced the malfunction myself...

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:05 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

I'm curious if this will be a camera or a lens firmware update - and if the latter, if one will have to send it in or if say the 1DX will be able to apply it...

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:09 AM
dwweiche
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Odd. A firmware update that addresses an issue caused by mechanical pressure on the lens?

Sounds like a software work-around to a hardware issue

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:20 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Maybe this is something as simple as an electrical contact on the mount or within
the lens assembly that looses contact if pressure is applied a certain way.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:33 AM
Hawkan
• •
p.1 #6 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

dwweiche wrote:
Sounds like a software work-around to a hardware issue

This problem is actually very sloppy. Canon's QA people should have gotten this almost immediately (early in the testing cycle). A simple state diagram and a quick test would have revealed it.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:59 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

From the linked site:

Note From the Review

This problem does not appear to affect all lenses - I tried to force my 40 STM to create this problem while creating the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Review, but could not induce the issue.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:13 AM
pcho
• • •
p.1 #8 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

This is indeed interesting. A few weeks ago, when I turned 1dx on with the 40mm pancake lens attached to it, I could not do anything. There was no display on the top of the camera and looks like the camera was dead. I turn camera on and off and everything was the same. No display on top LCD and shutter does not work. I then turned camera off, took lens out and turn camera on again. Yes it worked. I checked my camera log and there was no Err 80 like others with their 1dx. So maybe my issue is with the 40mm lens.

Funny enough I rang Canon CPS yesterday and they told me to expect a new firmware for the pancake lens.

Perry

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:22 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

mmurph wrote:
From the linked site:

Note From the Review

This problem does not appear to affect all lenses - I tried to force my 40 STM to create this problem while creating the Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Review, but could not induce the issue.

Maybe only early production models have the bug.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:52 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #10 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Mine has it; I already discovered by myself the "workaround"

I guess that it's not a mechanical issue, probably the camera assumes that there is a problem and stops AF; new FW will tell her: "back to work"

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Hawkan wrote:
This problem is actually very sloppy. Canon's QA people should have gotten this almost immediately (early in the testing cycle). A simple state diagram and a quick test would have revealed it.

Nonsense.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Here we go... Made in Malaysia phenomenon arrived

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Breitling65 wrote:
Here we go... Made in Malaysia phenomenon arrived

Nonsense.

The 1D X and the Nikon D4 with their (rare) intermittent problems are made in Japan. I suppose you think they have shoddy manufacturing on par with the Malaysians.

The Leica M8 with its problems was 'made in Germany'. I suppose you think they have shoddy manufacturing on par with the Malaysians.

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Monito wrote:
Nonsense.

The 1D X and the Nikon D4 with their (rare) intermittent problems are made in Japan. I suppose you think they have shoddy manufacturing on par with the Malaysians.

The Leica M8 with its problems was 'made in Germany'. I suppose you think they have shoddy manufacturing on par with the Malaysians.

Sure, for some everything is nonsense. In my opinion it is just MINOR coincidence

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:23 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #15 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Monito wrote:
Nonsense.

And M9 with its problems is still made in Germany, and its sensor with its problems is made in Usa

BTW the pancake issue looks much more an engineering failure than poor production.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:21 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

weird. no issue with mine, thankfully.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:38 PM
DarthMTS47

p.1 #17 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

I'm pretty sure this is a function of the new stepper motor drive. Depending on the kind of stepper motor used, there is no feedback loop. The drive tells it to go a certain number of "steps," and the motor moves to that position and holds. If you push in the lens element, it may move the position of the steps, so the drive gets "confused" and doesn't know where it is. Remounting the lens probably forces it to redetermine its location so it can move properly. The firmware update probably just has it double-check its location every time you start to auto-focus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

-Mike

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

ultrapix wrote:
Mine has it; I already discovered by myself the "workaround"

I guess that it's not a mechanical issue, probably the camera assumes that there is a problem and stops AF; new FW will tell her: "back to work"

+1. Same here.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:46 PM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #19 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

Interesting...I carry mine in the top pouch of my camera bag where it definitely gets knocked around a bit and it has been perfect so far on my 5D3...haven't encountered this issue.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:39 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 Firmware Update Available Now

DarthMTS47 wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is a function of the new stepper motor drive. Depending on the kind of stepper motor used, there is no feedback loop. The drive tells it to go a certain number of "steps," and the motor moves to that position and holds. If you push in the lens element, it may move the position of the steps, so the drive gets "confused" and doesn't know where it is. Remounting the lens probably forces it to redetermine its location so it can move properly. The firmware update probably just has it double-check its location every time you
...Show more

I guess you got the point

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:31 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password