Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

In case anybody missed it:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware

I just updated and my 7D still works...

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM
mptnest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Site lists...
It is recommended that you use the updated EOS 7D camera (Version 2.0.0) with the latest applications*3 . Some applications of previous versions do not support functions that are added by the new firmware.

Does that mean you can no longer run 7D raw files with legacy versions of Photoshop Raw and Lightroom? Will you have to have the new programs that will open the files of the 5D3 and 1DX to open the new 7D files? I currently do no have a 64 bit system; both PS5 and LR4 require it. (yeah, I know DPP, but it runs soooo slow.) Looks like it's new computer time, or run the files from the office,

Al

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:15 AM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Thanks!

I'll download tomorrow.

Wes N.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

mptnest wrote:
Does that mean you can no longer run 7D raw files with legacy versions of Photoshop Raw and Lightroom? Will you have to have the new programs that will open the files of the 5D3 and 1DX to open the new 7D files? I currently do no have a 64 bit system; both PS5 and LR4 require it. (yeah, I know DPP, but it runs soooo slow.) Looks like it's new computer time, or run the files from the office,

Al

I just opened FW2.0 RAW files with Aperture 3.3.2 and CS5 (ACR 6.7x), so nothing much changed in the file structure. I suspect any recent version of LR will work fine. The Aperture default looks a notch better than ACR for some reason. I didn't try DPP but I assume Canon has that one covered.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:51 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #5 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Here is my unscientific, quick, and dirty test of maximum burst.

RAW + Large/Fine JPEG. High ISO NR = Normal. Av, f/3.5, SS ~1/25s, ISO 800-1000. Transcend 32GB 133x card (not the speediest).

FW1.2.5:
Camera viewfinder Max burst shows as 6 images.
Actual burst before capture slowed was 10 images.

FW2.0.0:
Camera viewfinder Max burst shows as 16 images.
Actual burst before capture slowed was 18 images.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:54 AM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #6 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

I just opened FW2.0 RAW files with Aperture 3.3.2 and CS5 (ACR 6.7x), so nothing much changed in the file structure.

I'm running CS4 and LR3.6, i'm hoping to be good to go. I also saw, once the 7D is updated, it cannot be rolled back. I should be good, correct?

Thanks for you help.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:00 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Thanks for the heads-up, Gochu! I have it downloaded and am installing. Will do some testing tomorrow.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

RAW has a large fine jpg in it so I would never use that setting.
Large RAW shows 23 buffer. I get 36 shots at 8fps until the buffer fills. Buffer clears in 7 seconds using a 90MB/s Extreme UDMA 6. 7D still does not support UDMA 7 speeds but the cards work.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

I'll try comparing it tomorrow to my CF speed table made vs. the old firmware.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:27 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Gochugogi wrote:
I just opened FW2.0 RAW files with Aperture 3.3.2 and CS5 (ACR 6.7x), so nothing much changed in the file structure. I suspect any recent version of LR will work fine. The Aperture default looks a notch better than ACR for some reason. I didn't try DPP but I assume Canon has that one covered.

They're just referring to the Canon applications, such as DPP and EOS Utility.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #11 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Just another minor note, if you have images on your card from the prior version of FW, you can not do any in-camera processing (re-sizing, RAW conversion, or rating). It is only possible on pictures you take with the new FW.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:31 AM
cohenxa
• • •
p.1 #12 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Thanks. Willl dl tomorrow!

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:49 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Wow the best thing about the new FW is the 5D III AF. I swear I have 63 points now

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:57 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Wow the best thing about the new FW is the 5D III AF. I swear I have 63 points now

Pixel , didn't you notice the new SD slot that it installs next to the cf slot ?

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Andrew J wrote:
Large RAW shows 23 buffer. I get 36 shots at 8fps until the buffer fills. Buffer clears in 7 seconds using a 90MB/s Extreme UDMA 6. 7D still does not support UDMA 7 speeds but the cards work.

That's true Andrew , and the jpeg is easily extract able with a utility like 'instant jpeg from raw'
But there are times when having both is just easier. and now if those figures above are correct (I've not updated my 7D yet) it takes away the one big obstacle to shooting dual format, which is the horrible buffer.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:09 AM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

I installed the 2.0 firmware last evening. I went out to shoot this morning. I powered up the camera and set the manual exposure settings that I wanted. A few minutes later, when I was getting ready to actually take pictures, I got a generic error message. Pulling both batteries in the grip cleared the error. I've had the 7D for almost 3 years now, and I don't recall ever getting an error before. Perhaps, it is just coincidence that I got one now, but I thought I'd mention it just in case anyone else has had any issues after installing the new firmware.

Les

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:44 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Les - what settings? AI servo? High speed shooting? etc. I have not had any issues with mine, except I went to shoot a hawk this morning and my camera would not respond. Helps to insert a CF card before the outing.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:04 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

mco_970 wrote:
Les - what settings? AI servo? High speed shooting? etc. I have not had any issues with mine, except I went to shoot a hawk this morning and my camera would not respond. Helps to insert a CF card before the outing.

When I got to the shooting location, I turned the camera on, and all I did was set the ISO at 400, set the shutter speed at 1/1600, and set the aperture at f4.5, which were the manual exposure settings I wanted to use. I have the camera set to go to sleep after 1 minute of non-use. So, a few minutes later when I was ready to shoot, I half pressed the shutter button to try to wake the camera up, and the only response I got from the camera was "ERR" in the top LCD. It cleared after I pulled both batteries and reinserted them. I only took a few dozen shots today, and had no issues after the initial error. Again, perhaps it was just coincidence, but, considering that I've never had an error, lock up, etc. in 35 months of using the camera, I had to immediately think of a possible connection between the error and the fact that I just installed the new firmware.

Les

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:15 PM
Chris Anthony
• •
p.1 #19 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Andrew J wrote:

I'm only getting about 23-24 using a transcend 600x udma card. Im not much of a burst shooter, so maybe there specific settings I should be using to test this, for example, I was at f4 iso 100 with shutter speeds in the 1/1500-1/2000 range. Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:27 PM
Dreamliner
• •
p.1 #20 · 7D FW 2 at Canon USA

Did anybody have noticed any IQ improvements in high ISO as well? I know that this may sound stupid but I'm asking because there is a theory that says that sometimes a new firmware can also make some "secret" improvements that are not announced to the public.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password