Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · ViewNX2, what for?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · ViewNX2, what for?

I have had a numvber of Nikon DSLRs since D3, D300, D7k and now D4. But I never bothered to install Nx, NIkon soft ware. I always used CS for PP. UNtil today. I was curious.
So I installed view NX2. I seemed not able to see what this software can do other than showing the thumbnails. I can see it full screen, histogram.That it. can't PP.
Did I miss some thing here?
What do you use this NIkon software that comes with every camera for? if you do.
Why does NIkon supply it? for what purpose?

Another real down to earth question: Do you shoot RAWs? I do just raws. Can you do without Photoshop CS? Just with NX2?

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 02:52 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:18 AM
Smridevan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · ViewNX2, what for?

I'm curious too what this useless software is for. I think you can view where the focusing point was in the picture. Don't know what else it can do.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #3 · ViewNX2, what for?

Useless? I use it every day to browse, organize, and open NEF files with Capture NX2. That's about it, but that's all I need it to do.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:56 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #4 · ViewNX2, what for?

View NX(2) can do conversions to JPEG of your raw files.

But if you really want to know the awesomeness of your NEF files, get Capture NX2.

In my eyes it is worth every cent.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:00 AM
mill4570
• • •
p.1 #5 · ViewNX2, what for?

I would say you missed a lot. I use the software to correct any white balance issues, correct exposure, adjust picture styles, adjust contrast....the list goes on. I can then batch convert, and I don't have side cars to worry about. The images can be reopened and modified later. I can sort as well.

It's not Capture NX nor CS6, but it's free.

YMMV,
Richard K.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:20 AM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #6 · ViewNX2, what for?

I don't think View NX allows you to adjust white balance, exposure settings, etc., on the raw files though. I have Capture NX2 and I agree it's great for processing NEF files (much better than Lightroom/Adobe Raw) except for the workflow.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:20 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #7 · ViewNX2, what for?

Smridevan wrote:
I don't think View NX allows you to adjust white balance, exposure settings, etc., on the raw files though. I have Capture NX2 and I agree it's great for processing NEF files (much better than Lightroom/Adobe Raw) except for the workflow.

Hit the edit button in View NX2 and it will allow you to edit WB, exposure, color, picture styles, sharpening etc. you can then open it in NX2 or save as at tiff and or .jpg.

Edited on Aug 07, 2012 at 02:42 AM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:35 AM
Adam Bavier
• •
p.1 #8 · ViewNX2, what for?

Smridevan wrote:

The above assumption regarding not having whitebalance is wrong. Maybe it held in an older version, but the newer version allows whitebalance adjustment on raw files and much more.

I have ViewNX 2 installed here, and I'm seeing on the Adjustments "Quick" menu on the right: Exposure Comp, White Balance , Picture Control, Sharpness, Contrast, Brightness.

When changed from quick to "All" you also get: Highlight Protection, D-Lighting HS, Color Booster, Crop, Staighten, Auto Red-Eye, Axial Color Aberration.

I'm adjusting a NEF right now and it is definitely working. The main difference between ViewNX 2 and CaptureNX 2 is that CaptureNX 2 allows you to mask and selectively apply these changes. You also get all the curves adjustments, and leveling you'd want. Along with many more features. Though if you want global adjustments to the whole picture, and don't need a high amount of control it looks like ViewNX2 would work well.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:38 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #9 · ViewNX2, what for?

ViewNX2 can convert .NEF and .NRW files.

In fact, ViewNX2 does a very good job in converting NEX and NRW files.

It CAN adjust WB, Exposure and it even has auto CA correction.

Not everyone has Photoshop. I sometimes install ViewNX2 on others' computers which I might use occasionally to handle NEF files.

I use CS for PP, now shifting to ACR for converting raw (I have multiple kind of raw files..Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Ricoh..) and Bridge for viewing raw files. But I do appreciate Nikon in providing a competent and free software for viewing and converting raw files.

When I have a brunch of files that i shoot only with Nikon, I usually use ViewNX2 to browse those files (since it can group Raw+Jpg together).

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:40 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · ViewNX2, what for?

Another real to earth question: Do you shoot RAWs? I do just raws. Can you do without Photoshop CS? Just with NX2?

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · ViewNX2, what for?

nugeny wrote:
I have had a numvber of Nikon DSLRs since D3, D300, D7k and now D4. But I never bothered to install Nx, NIkon soft ware. I always used CS for PP. UNtil today. I was curious.
So I installed view NX2. I seemed not able to see what this software can do other than showing the thumbnails. I can see it full screen, histogram.That it. can't PP.
Did I miss some thing here?
What do you use this NIkon software that comes with every camera for? if you do.
Why does NIkon supply it? for what purpose?

Another real down to earth question: Do
...Show more

Yes you can do lots of basic PP with it and it is fast and easy. I personally like to get it right in camera, but View NX2 is a great way to get minor adjustments done. Very good raw coverter too ... since I shoot 100% in raw.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:34 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #12 · ViewNX2, what for?

nugeny wrote:
Another real to earth question: Do you shoot RAWs? I do just raws. Can you do without Photoshop CS? Just with NX2?

Yes. In many case I just like using RAW due to superior CA correction. Fancy Photoshop isn't really necessary at times..

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:00 AM
Pinarello65
• •
p.1 #13 · ViewNX2, what for?

The software is far from useless. It provides the new camera user with a entry level tool for managing images. It's better than nothing and many users who just stretched the budget to buy the camera probably appreciate not having to immediately buy image management software to go with it.

I use Adobe Lightroom now. But ViewNX was quite handy when I first started with a Nikon D90.

Like Andre, I shoot 100% in RAW, preferring to get as close to optimal exposure in camera as I can. Then I just tweak in Lightroom and I'm done. I only turn to Photoshop for complex adjustments.

Carl

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:23 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · ViewNX2, what for?

Wow Bob... I use ViewNX2 for everything! If I didn't have it, I don't know what I would do.

I use it for marking, for sorting, for quick converts to jpgs when needed. It's my interface that I use to view my shots and then with it open the raw file in CaptureNX2 or if I have already converted and I am browsing through a "working" subdirectory, I then use it to open it up in Photoshop.

It is so easy to use, very intuitive, I seriously could not imagine how my workflow would work without. It's the backbone of all I do.

Jim

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:42 AM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #15 · ViewNX2, what for?

Smridevan wrote:
I'm curious too what this useless software is for. I think you can view where the focusing point was in the picture. Don't know what else it can do.

its useful for culling of pics not worthy of import imo. depending on app app this can be a laborious process. And whle the culling is an added step I find it a case of pay the piper now or pay the piper later. RAw files read in picture viewer are jsut right click and delete and empty trash when done. Import them into your PP app and now you add time to import and the software has to erase any trace of its existence after import. YOu got 20 shots you'd like to forget about...why waste your PP apps time telling them to remember them and then forget them lol.

Also useful for quick converts I find. SOOC everything seems to be there, you aren't submitting for review to pixel peepers for the added touch....why whip out a sledgehammer and view gets the pic out faster. I used this alot when the wife or friends wanted pics stat. Whatever floats their boat (this does work best when you try for best effort sooc ofc).

View nx also worksoff the same code as capture. So it does inherit its ability to read .nefs better. If i recall lr is not really useful for flash photogrppahy, or at least learning it. It says flash fired iirc. Tell me something I don't know. View, and capture will tell if diffuser used and the angle of the flash if like an sb800. LR 2 had no info I ma sure and want to say lr 3 was barren as well. 4 no clue, cool if they got their act together for this. I found this useful anyway as i tried to experiment with flash in the past.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:22 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · ViewNX2, what for?

nugeny wrote:

yes i only shot raw on my nikons and havent owned adobe software since the origional beta of lightroom. nikon view nx2 for culling and sorting and some quick work, nikon capture nx2 for more serious work. combineZP and autopanopro when needed.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #17 · ViewNX2, what for?

I only shoot RAW. I "discovered" ViewNX just two months ago (when I got my D800E) and use it now for selection. It's soooo much faster than LR4.
When you use colours for the selected images and import them in LR, the selection will be visible in LR4 as well.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:34 PM
beshannon
• •
p.1 #18 · ViewNX2, what for?

Smridevan wrote:

It is a great piece of software considering it comes with the camera.

Perhaps you should read and work with it before you decide it is "useless".

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Frank_Maiello
• •
p.1 #19 · ViewNX2, what for?

nugeny wrote:

Just with View NX2, no. But just Capture NX2, yes. I only use Photoshop for significant manipulations or a few plugins that aren't available for Capture.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #20 · ViewNX2, what for?

I use Capture NX2 for RAW conversion and my first "tweakings" of the file.

Why? Because nobody knows its own proprietary RAW file information like Nikon.

After RAW conversion and initial file tweaks, I have it set to "Open With" Photoshop CS5 (haven't upgraded to CS6 yet) for final manipulations, output sizing and final sharpening.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password