Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Jim Schemel
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

I have a question for Leica Users.I have a wonderful Zeiss Jena Biotar 5cm f1.4 Lens with M39 rangefinder Mount.I would love to see this lens perform on a FF sensor.Of course at this time the only option if i am understanding things correctly is the Leica M9.Do they make a quality M39 Screw mount to Leica M Mount Adapter? If so an anyone provide any links.The only ones i saw was on fotodiox not sure if they are the ones i would need.Also does anyone know if the EOS adapter shown in the link would allow normal focusing on an EOS camera or would it just be for macro use only.Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Just trying to figure out a way to use this lens on a FF Sensor Thanks in advance http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=M39+to+Leica+M
-Jim

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:45 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Jim, that in M39 mount Biotar has an infinity image forming about 29mm behind the lens flange and wouldn't provide near enough room for a swinging 5D type mirror. The M9 is the only option at this point. The fotodioxpro M39-M mount adapters look good and are reasonably priced.

I just searched ebay and found 2 LTM Biotars. One of them appears to be mounted on a Canon RF LTM 50/1.4 helical with an asking price of over $1000.

I've been looking at the M42 version of the 58mm Biotar lately. They are a few hundred dollars. Maybe an M42 version for SLR is an option?

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:47 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

The Helios 44-2 is a Biotar clone that's much cheaper.

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Jim and James - thanks for the input.I might look into that Helios 44-2.The Biotar that i have is a very rare lens(Pre WW II) and has a wonderful bokeh even on a crop body.
-Jim

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:39 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

I would love to see samples!

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:35 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gertjan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

I do own the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm f2 (1958 Exakta mount) as well as several Helios 44 (44-2, 44-M, 44-M-6) lenses.
Their look and Bokeh is remarkable similar, to the point that I can't keep them apart.

However, there is quit a bit of sample variation in Russian lenses. But these Helios-44 are cheap.....
I bought 4 before i found my perfect sample, most attached to a Zenith camera for a few Euros
All have the same look & Bokeh, but one is significant sharper wide open.
(I am using these lenses on a 5DmkII)

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Jim ,
here are a few shots of the lens itself.Most think that this is a very well done remount by the company engraved on the side of the lens.Although my research has shown that there were a small number of these made in Leica M39 mount, by small i mean less than 100.Also a few shots taken with the lens on my NEX 5N
-Jim

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

@1.4

stopped down it is very sharp

@1.4

stopped down

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:53 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Both Leica and Voigtlander make high-quality M39-M adapters, you'll want a 50/75 adapter to get correct framelines on an M body. The M mount was designed with this conversion in mind.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Gertjan

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · M39 Screw Mount to Leica M Mount Adapter

Jim started earlier a tread on this lens on MF Lenses.com:
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-biotar-5cm-f1-4-t-samples-m39-mount-t51684.html

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:28 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password