Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Good slave flashes with PC input/outputs (SB-28?)

nickgillette

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good slave flashes with PC input/outputs (SB-28?)

I recently bought some 430EX II flashes (blindly) and some pocked wizard plus II's.

Without doing my proper research I assumed the 430EX's were advanced and I could plug the cable from a pocket wizard plus ii into it. Well when I went to test them all out... there was no cable input. I was ready to throw the flash because I was so mad at myself.

I'm a Canon shooter and now I'm looking for alternative flashes where I can plug this cable in to use them as slaves (with pocket wizards). I wouldn't use the TTYL, just Manual modes. I don't want to purchase two more 580EX II's just to use them as slaves so now I'm looking for other flashes.

I came across the Nikon SB-28. It looks like it's what I need, is there anything out there that someone can recommend and maybe some input on the SB-28?

Thanks!

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:12 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good slave flashes with PC input/outputs (SB-28?)

How about this:
http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0135/index.shtml

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:38 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good slave flashes with PC input/outputs (SB-28?)

Bruce has the right idea, but i would suggest this unit instead of the one he linked to.
http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0138/index.shtml
It has the cord built in and eliminates the troublesone PC connection. I have 4 of these adapters and they work great. Well I do not have the deluxe versions but since you have the 430exII the deluxe version is recommended to accomodate the weather seal on the flash foot.

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good slave flashes with PC input/outputs (SB-28?)

nickgillette wrote:
...Without doing my proper research I assumed the 430EX's were advanced...

They are.

nickgillette wrote:
...and I could plug the cable from a pocket wizard plus ii into it.

Sorry, but as you found Canon decided for some reason that they didn't need PC connections.

nickgillette wrote:
...I'm a Canon shooter and now I'm looking for alternative flashes where I can plug this cable in to use them as slaves (with pocket wizards). I wouldn't use the [TTL], just Manual modes. I don't want to purchase two more 580EX II's just to use them as slaves so now I'm looking for other flashes.

For my money, I'd get the above-mentioned adapters so I could have both the advanced ETTL and Canon Wireless capabilities or the PW capability. If you want to return the 430s, though, and just get inexpensive PC-capable manual-only flashes I'd look at either the LumoPro 160 or the even cheaper Vivitar 285HV.

I've used the 285HV for decades, although I don't use mine as much as I used to now that I have two 580EXs and a 430EX II.

I've used mine by itself off camera on a small light stand...

and also firing through various modifiers...

and despite being decidedly "old school" they just work.

There's nothing wrong with the SB-28, but I prefer to buy new rather than used flashes, and for less than $90 the 285HV is a true bargain.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Flash.html

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password