Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

M I K E
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Hi

I've been using my D800 for a few months now and find it hard to put down!

Here are a few pics I've taken at weddings recently http://www.creativephotography.gg/weddings-with-the-nikon-d800/

The Dynamic range is fantastic, run the files through LR4 and they are staggering.

Cheers
Mike

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

LR does not give them justice.
Adobe RAW converter does not harvest as many highlights and shadows as capture one or NX2 does

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:54 PM
M I K E
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

I've not tried either of those, I like the speed of lightroom for processing the amount of files from weddings, are Capture and NX2 as fast?

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:55 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Kittyk wrote:
LR does not give them justice.
Adobe RAW converter does not harvest as many highlights and shadows as capture one or NX2 does

That's the last nail in the coffin. I have too much tied up in L/R and plugins to let them go to waste with the 800 not playing well. I'll keep on shooting with my 700's.

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:04 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Agreed the Adobe Standard really falls flat on its face.

Thankfully LR4 natively supports other RAW processing calibration methods. I now import all my photos in LR using "Camera Standard" instead of Adobe Standard. You just need to make a preset where that's the only variable changed and then choose that preset when importing.

If you're not familiar with where to make the Camera Calibration Profile selection, it's the last menu item on the right panel when in the develop module. I'd love to hear what you and others think about it.

Cheers,

Randy

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:45 PM
LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

pixelrandy wrote:
Agreed the Adobe Standard really falls flat on its face.

Thankfully LR4 natively supports other RAW processing calibration methods. I now import all my photos in LR using "Camera Standard" instead of Adobe Standard. You just need to make a preset where that's the only variable changed and then choose that preset when importing.

If you're not familiar with where to make the Camera Calibration Profile selection, it's the last menu item on the right panel when in the develop module. I'd love to hear what you and others think about it.

Cheers,

Randy

This is what I have been doing with my D4 & D800. I love the files I get!

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:50 AM
ronno
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

The files I have seen from the D800 look great.
Though that third picture down appears to be out of focus...

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

M I K E
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Cheers Pixelrandy, I've just updated my presets to Camera Neutral and the raws I'm working with look much better! I'll have to tweak my pre sets but that won't take long.

Thanks ronno, it's an epic bit of kit.

Cheers
Mike

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

M I K E wrote:
I've not tried either of those, I like the speed of lightroom for processing the amount of files from weddings, are Capture and NX2 as fast?

NX2 is PITA but native, i would not use it unless somebody forced me.

Capture One is fast. It is primarily medium format software which accidentally is best Nikon RAW converter as well.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:06 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Glad you're finding the additional calibration presets to be useful. I tend to lean towards Camera Standard as it's just a little more poppy than Camera Neutral. Camera Vivid and Camera Portrait just don't do it for me.

You could do this with LR3 too, but you had to import the settings... or was that with LR2? Geez, I can't remember.

Aug 07, 2012 at 07:52 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

used NX2 for several years,, now a LR 4.1 fan with this 800E

it just has more subtle features that I could not adjust in NX,, ??

Derry

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:04 PM
M I K E
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Hi Kittyk, I'm Interested in Capture One, it's supposed to be a lot faster than LR which is of interest to me.

I'll have a good look around and check out some reviews but I'm tempted to go over to just D800 shooting next year.

Cheers
Mike

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

i cannot comment on how faster it is then latest LR, i stopped using it at v3.something, but on my PC it is instant even with 80+Mpix files. With D800 i see no difference to D700 in speed of processing. Exporting was little slower (generating 200+MB Tiffs, 1100 and 200pix jpegs) but i moved my temp drive to SSD and it does it under one second per image now.
It was also 64bit and multi threaded before LR was.

Aug 07, 2012 at 10:18 PM
M I K E
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 shoots more and more weddings

Cheers,

There is a 60 day trial to download so I may as well give it a go. Speed on my Mac seems good with 12GB ram and I've had no problems in LR but as I'm looking to use the 800 for everything it's worth trying C1.

I'll do it in the next few days and let you know what I think.

Cheers
Mike

Aug 07, 2012 at 11:01 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password