New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

I just purchased a 35-70 on EBay and do not have a Nikon Camera yet to test it on as I plan to get the D800 after I sell some stuff. I have a couple questions about this lens:

The separate end piece of this lens where the lens cap attaches, has a little bit of play in it if you gently rock it side to side. Is this normal for this lens.

It came with a note from the seller saying this, "When zooming to 35mm do not extend the barrel of the lens out to the point where you can see 35mm on the scale or it will not focus. The 35mm must be hidden. Is this normal as well for this lens.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

I think he is talking about macro mode which is really just close focus.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Norman my love wrote:
The separate end piece of this lens where the lens cap attaches, has a little bit of play in it if you gently rock it side to side. Is this normal for this lens.

It came with a note from the seller saying this, "When zooming to 35mm do not extend the barrel of the lens out to the point where you can see 35mm on the scale or it will not focus. The 35mm must be hidden. Is this normal as well for this lens.

The play is normal, most likely. The 35-70 f/2.8d is a trombone lens, in that the outer barrel moves outward as you zoom from 70mm to 35 and vice versa. Then you have another internal barrel at the outer end, where focus adjustment is done. That also moves in/out quite a ways as you turn the focus ring. That focus piece has a little bit of play in it.

The part about zooming to 35mm is definitely not right. The zoom has hard stops at both ends of the range and that seeing the 35mm shouldn't affect AF at all.

You have to slide the barrel all of the way out to 35mm to use the micro function of the lens. If you hold the lens so you can see the writing, on the left side it will say Nikon AF Nikkor. Right below that is a silver button. That's the button that you have to press to get the lens into micro function. So, you zoom in to the stop, 35mm, push the silver button in and hold it, then twist the barrel to the left until it stops. That locks the barrel at max extension. At that point, you have very little working distance and, IIRC, manual focus.

But, if you don't hold down that silver button while zooming to 35mm, you can't twist it into micro mode, unless, I suppose, the silver button stop is broken.

It's a bummer that you don't have a camera to test it on. It's a wonderful lens, if it's in proper working order.

Kerry

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Thanks Waki and Terry Pierce for responding.

The push pull zoom is not firm but does not creep unless I set the lens down with the front pointing down. Then it sinks because the back of the lens is heavier.

The focusing ring is a little on the loose side, but not sloppy.

It is the very front end part, that you put the filter on, that wiggles side to side and rattles if you gently shake the lens. This bothers me.
Yes it is a bummer that I don't have the camera yet, but I thought with all the D800's ordered, that these might become scarce.

Other that that, the lens is very clean, but dull all over, not dull in places that look used. The bayonet has a little bit of scratches only.

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Norman my love wrote:
It is the very front end part, that you put the filter on, that wiggles side to side and rattles if you gently shake the lens. This bothers me.

Yes, that's the part that I was trying to describe in my first post. Mine will wiggle like that too and my lens is very tight, pretty much like it was when it was new.

Kerry

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:20 PM
equestrianguy
• •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

I sold one recently for a whopping $450 that was well PRISTINE. Basically about as new as you could get.

It had no wiggle at all in the lens and was actually fairly smooth to focus.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Norman my love
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Thanks guys for the info. There is a guy now who has another one and he says his has no play in the front as well.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:01 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 35-70 F2.8 AF-D

Mine is looking quite battered from years of pro use with me, but there is no wiggle or rattle at all. Mechanically and optically it acts like new. Such a great lens

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:03 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.