Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

I'd echo sjms' recommendation, in fact after reading a post of his some time ago I purchased the 5.11 LBV Tac Vest and pouches. Spent less than other vests and fully customizable by me any time I want by using the MOLLE fasteners.

Took mine on a couple of international trips to Africa fully loaded while boarding the plane just in case I got gate checked with the Kiboko which didn't happen once, but as a good boy scout I was prepared. I got the black one and even in equatorial full sun the mesh design breathes easily.

Funny story though, coming back on my last trip in Seattle International Airport, a couple of Army guys gave me the eye as I sat down in the waiting room. They had their duffles and were obviously on leave waiting for a connection. We had a good chat about how great the LBV is and although I have never been shot at I do a lot of shooting of my own kind laden down with 44 lbs. of gear, a life saver for them, a gear saver for me.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

I still have the black assy. thought i'd lighten up the colors these days with the light tan.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
ChrisGVE
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

sjms that's surely a valid option, though I'm still sold to my Vested Interest vests I wonder if the attachments of this vest are compatible with Lowepro? Also how would you carry a big white L lens with this vest? though I'm not sure I would entrust such a system with a big 500L (weakest point seems to be the attachment point between the vest and the lens bag) with the Vested Interest the lens bag is sewn directly on to the base jacket.

Jun 28, 2013 at 03:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

ask the US Military and most others including the police as these have been adopted and the massive loads these do support. once you attach it properly the only 2 ways it comes off is you undoing it properly or the vest is literally torn off your body. and that's gonna hurt, a whole lot too. you need to look into the MOLLE attachment system this is designed for very aggressive use and load bearing. and if you want you can attach enough junk to it so you yourself will find it difficult to move much less get up.

as to lenses and sizes just how big are we talking? 500. I don't carry that in a vest. that goes in a pack for me if I were to use one. there is no reasonable way of accessing a 500 from your back w/o either removing the vest or getting additional help . also the length of the lens on the vest will, due to the fit, probably cause discomfort due to its lack of flex if you bend your back. it can be done though

the only real backer of the MOLLE system in photography so far is F-Stop gear and they do have a few components. neither LP, TT or kinesis will move to an OPEN SYSTEM that MOLLE is. I just use the pockets I need when I need them. I don't do the padded stuff as it is too bulky.

the whole point is to maximize maneuverability and to prevent gear from undue swing

X20    7mm    f/5.6    1/15s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 28, 2013 at 05:06 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:41 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

The Molle straps are sewn into the vest and the pouches have heavy gauge straps that are woven through the Molle straps with a snap at the end. The actual forces applied to a pouch strap are directed onto the Molle strap on the vest, not on the snap on the end of the strap on the pouch. Keep in mind these are built to military grade and I would bet you could load a pouch well beyond any lens you could carry.

These are built out of synthetic products, no cotton to break down with sun exposure and very heavy gauge.

Jun 28, 2013 at 04:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ChrisGVE
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

I'm quite convinced that the vest itself is quite robust including it's built-in attachment, where I question the system is whether it can be used for a long lens.

Now to answer the comment about bringing a 500L I am not using the vest for trekking, I would use a backpack for that, however the vest is really handy to carry equipment through reasonable distance and easy terrain. Of course you need to put the vest down for setup but that's generally not a problem. From there I'd basically move around with the camera/lens/tripod set on my shoulder. It works very well for me but as usual YMMV

This being said, the vest you are showing seems to be also a good alternative, and I'd be quite curious if the pouches from the S&F series of Lowepro would be compatible with this one. Lowepro also makes a vest but does not look as versatile as this one and it seems pretty hot (I'm based in Singapore so temperature is an issue) whereas the mesh of your vest should be more comfortable in tropical regions.

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

no they will not be unless you are willing to adapt. the LP system is deliberately proprietary as is think tank and Kinesis.

Jun 28, 2013 at 05:31 PM
paregorike
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

Wow. You can carry a lot with this. Something I wold get for a Zombie apocalypse.

Ron

Jul 10, 2013 at 05:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The Vested Interest Photo Vest

paregorike wrote:
Wow. You can carry a lot with this. Something I wold get for a Zombie apocalypse.

Ron

if you are referring to the tan Tac LBE vest. I do believe that is what it was originally designed for . but then when you shoot with the media if can feel just like you're in one.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password