Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

ryan21
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

I have been toying around with buying a Sekonic L-358 for all my readings. I already shoot manually for everything already but I wonder how it would impact my flow during the day. Are any of you using an incident meter when setting up your reception lights or anything? Or are the days of incident meters quickly dying?

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:44 PM
r-m-g

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

NEWB ADVICE
Had to set up an area for shooting group shots of up to 50 people at my last assist. I could have chimped while adjusting the umbrellas but it was much more exact to walk across the line of chairs popping the meter and for sure saved time confirming good exposure all around.
I was also much more confident in saying the shot was ready and the settings that my primary should use.
It has saved me time in some situations.
/NEWB ADVICE

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

The 358 is a great meter and I use it all the time, both in studio and on location for weddings, etc. You can chimp and eventually get something close to the right reading but nothing is as quick & precise as a meter. You can walk around and see exactly how much flash is getting to each part of the room and make adjustments to the power and / or location of the strobes.

And I absolutely love the ambient / flash percentage reading that the 358 gives you

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:52 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

And I absolutely love the ambient / flash percentage reading that the 358 gives you

I know I thought that was really cool... hmmm... maybe I should pick one up. I am pretty quick with the in camera meter but mixing lights with ambient makes me want the incident meter really bad.

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:32 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

love it love it love it. Always use it with OCF and posed pictures

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:39 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

I have one and use it about 70% of the time to set my reception lighting. If I forget it, I simply shoot my hand and gauge the results.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

I use it when I want to scope a new venue without bringing a camera.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:58 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

I use that same model light meter, it is very helpful for me to get the right readings and then decide what to do with my settings.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:21 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

Yeah. Same model. Not a lot though, should use the flash metering more than I do, especially the %ambient.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:54 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

for OCF set shots (group shots, portraits) -- a definite must if you want to tightly control lighting ratios.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

swoop
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

It's a must.

A lot of people will say, "you can just look at the screen." Clear indication of amateur status. Using a light meter not only allows you to easily set up your ratios, it's also a lot quicker than using the screen on your camera and way more accurate.

I used to have the 358 but replaced it with the smaller/lighter L-308S. You get the same basic functionality, but I do miss having an illuminated display.

Aug 07, 2012 at 01:05 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

swoop wrote:
It's a must.

A lot of people will say, "you can just look at the screen." Clear indication of amateur status. Using a light meter not only allows you to easily set up your ratios, it's also a lot quicker than using the screen on your camera and way more accurate.

I used to have the 358 but replaced it with the smaller/lighter L-308S. You get the same basic functionality, but I do miss having an illuminated display.

I used to think the same, but after many years of using my camera and flashes, I find I can dial in my flash power to what I want within .5 stops of accuracy. I take one look at my LCD and then I know how much up/down I need to go. I know my exposures and I know my gear.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

I have not used a hand meter in years. In film you were blind so it was a must. Not any more.

Joel Grimes operates at amateur status according to swoop.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:26 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

swoop wrote:
It's a must.

Gotta disagree here. If you cannot judge the light ratios by shooting your hand and chimmping, that is the sign of amateur status.

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

swoop wrote:
It's a must.

I have an L308 as well but it's the earlier version, I think the 308B (full stops .. lol) and no ambient / flash mix readout. The 358 is bigger but has more features.

And I call total BS on anyone who tells me that they can meter to within a half stop using body parts and LCD's .. I could pop a single strobe and guarantee they wouldn't have a freakin clue if it was F8 or F11. What do you guys do for ratios? .. use two hands, or one hand and one foot

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

Nope.. but then I again I dont do anything fancy. 3 lights at most.

P.S. I have a calibrated eyes

Aug 07, 2012 at 03:52 AM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

P.S. I have a calibrated eyes

Where did you get the calibrator? B&H?

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:01 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

Mike Mahoney wrote:
I have an L308 as well but it's the earlier version, I think the 308B (full stops .. lol) and no ambient / flash mix readout. The 358 is bigger but has more features.

And I call total BS on anyone who tells me that they can meter to within a half stop using body parts and LCD's .. I could pop a single strobe and guarantee they wouldn't have a freakin clue if it was F8 or F11. What do you guys do for ratios? .. use two hands, or one hand and one foot

Email Joel Grimes and tell him his full of it then. http://joelgrimes.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=12191&Akey=P7FJP8B4

Aug 07, 2012 at 09:55 AM
r-m-g

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

Marcus Watts wrote:
Email Joel Grimes and tell him his full of it then. http://joelgrimes.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=12191&Akey=P7FJP8B4

I'll let you know if I hear back from him.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:27 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using incident meters (especially when using OCF)

Mike Mahoney wrote:

"What do you guys do for ratios? .. use two hands, or one hand and one foot "

Mike, that was funny!

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password