Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Planning RMNP Trip

fisherman_188

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Planning RMNP Trip

I am planning a 5 day, strictly photography, trip to Rocky Mountain National Park towards the end of September - early October time frame. Will be camping at the park, so I will be able to get up early and stay our late. Was planning on driving around looking for wildlife during the day, and most likely set up at a lake or something in the mornings and evenings and just watch for wildlife. Was wondering if any of yall had ideas on certain places to go, what are the good places to set up with a tripod and wait, or are there good locations to hike around where there are good opportunities to shoot? Looking for anything bear, moose, elk, bobcat, and birds. I know more of the moose are on the west side of the park, have seen some just by staying on the road and watching the willows and marshy area. Would anyone recommend walking back into areas on the west side that you can't see from the road?

Will be shooting with a 600mm, plus have the option for the 1.4x teleconvertor. So please give me your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks, JC

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:31 AM
fisherman_188

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Planning RMNP Trip

Has anyone done much shooting in Rocky Mountain National Park?

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:39 AM
luigi645
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Planning RMNP Trip

Check out Fall Creek Road and Trail Ridge Road for the return trip. Alberta Falls and Bear Lake are also well worth the trip...

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:59 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Planning RMNP Trip

I go there frequently and shoot wildlife with a 600, often with a 1.4 extender.

Currently, there are some wonderful bull elk at Milner pass. They will certainly be lower by the time you get there. I find nice moose in the western valley leading to Grand Lake. As is often the case, the wildlife comes out at dawn and dusk. I spend the dawn and twilight hours driving from Milner pass to Grand Lake, looking for wildlife.

Be aware that the western valley (the Kawuneeche valley) gets light later in the morning due to the mountains on its east side and looses light earlier in the evening due to the mountains on its west side. Due to the geography, the critters are typically on the west side of the road, so in the evenings you wind up shooting into the sun in that valley. Wonderful for backlit shots, if that is what you are interested in.

I have seen bighorn sheep on the rockpile to the west of Milner pass and also at horseshoe park.

I also enjoy shooting the marmots and pika at the rockpile by the parking area for the toll memorial trail.

Be sure the check out the Beaver Ponds picnic area for moose.

Only a very small portion of the park is accessible from the limited road network. If you are interested in back country travel, you can find some wonderful opportunities for photography.

Bring a warm jacket and gloves! You will especially want something windproof and probably waterproof as well.

There is no shortage of wildlife and landscape opportunities. Enjoy your trip.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
fisherman_188

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Planning RMNP Trip

Thanks very much Steve, wonderful information. Only been up there 1 time so far so don't know the lay of the land yet. I hope to do some back country hiking to better destinations too.

Aug 10, 2012 at 04:05 PM
Dean Colprit
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Planning RMNP Trip

During the day you can travel throughout the park looking for wildlife. If you go over Trail Ridge road, you can find pika, big horn sheep and sometimes Elk. On the west side of the park, there are moose, bear and elk. By about 3 pm, you can go to Moraine Park to set up with a tripod and big lens for the elk. Just look for the crowds of people. Last year I was a week too early and missed the peak of the rut, basically, there was nothing happening while I was there. Hope this helps.

Dean

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Planning RMNP Trip

I was just there 2 weeks ago and say ditto to the comments above. I saw moose, elk (they run Estes Park), pika, marmots, etc. I hear about people seeing black bears, but I didn't see any myself.

It shouldn't be as bad for you, but as a sea level guy, I was really struggling at 12,000' to keep the lens stable lol.

Chris

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.