Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

michaels photo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

To quote Ricky Nelson;

"See, you cant please everyone, so you got to please yourself"

In other words you need to do what you think is right for you and yours!

Good luck!

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Thanks for all the suggestions. What I think I will do is take down all the ones with him and her in it and just make it a bridal type post instead of a wedding. Would you email the MIL and explain your side of how taking it down could affect business or just leave that stone unturned?

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:08 PM
ACRe
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

First off, I would need to hear from the bride and groom, and not the mother of the groom. What do they want done? What are their plans? Is something lost in translation between the mother and her son?

I assume you signed the contract with the bride and the groom and not the mother, and while I have a feeling that what she says is probably true, I would want to verify that.

Andrew

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:16 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

ACRe wrote:
First off, I would need to hear from the bride and groom, and not the mother of the groom. What do they want done? What are their plans? Is something lost in translation between the mother and her son?

I assume you signed the contract with the bride and the groom and not the mother, and while I have a feeling that what she says is probably true, I would want to verify that.

Andrew

+1

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

The contract was signed by the bride and no one else. She has removed herself from Facebook and is no longer talking to anyone in her family. I am good friends with one of her bridesmaids and she even stopped talking to her. This girl completely checked out and is no longer communicating with any one. The story was verified by the mother and our mutual friend who was the bridesmaid. It's a sad situation, but at what point does business become business?

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Ensure it's not a joke, then act professionally and accordingly.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Take them down. It's the right thing to do and the better long term business decision... and there's one way to make yourself feel better: Go destroy your next wedding and make that one look like child's play.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

I think what I will do is email the groom since he is the main point to this decision. If he wants them down, I will take them down. I wouldn't want my mom emailing our photographers if it was something that wasn't necessary. I will keep you up to date on what the decision is. You guys are awesome, thanks for the support and advice.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Hoffer speaketh the truth.

Aug 06, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

The guy has been cheated on. It must be a sad and embarrassing situation to be in.

Two independent persons confirmed on you that he was cheated on and that the person who signed the contract is on the run.

The mother asked in behalf of his son, who might be embarrased/sad/pised off, to please take them down.

Do you really think that by calling the groom he'll say something different than what his mom reuested you? Why keep slicing up with a knife the mans ego?

You know what the right thing to do is... just do it..

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

I'm surprised there is even a question .. take them down for both your sakes

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

@Guari, I understand where you are coming from. If they don't want to see the photos then they don't have to go on our site, scroll down to their gallery and click on the link. The photos are not used on our site in a way that you have to see them. I am deathly afraid of snakes, I purposely do not go walking through a jungle where I know I will get bitten. In this case, don't go onto my website to purposely see photos you know are there. To a potential client coming onto our site, they are just another happy couple with beautiful photos.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:23 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

I think too often photographers look at this from a contract point of view, to found out "am I legally obligated to remove this?" View it from the clients side, are they being completely unreasonable with their request? Make them happy and it'll pay off in the end.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:43 PM
jojosung
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Phyl wrote:
It's one wedding. It's a family embarrassment. Her son will get married again some day and she liked you. I'd take down anything that had her son it it but leave up portfolio worthy stuff of details and bridals. It isn't worth leaving them up, contract or no contract... IMO.

+1.. I'm sure she'll scour the internet for them.. and if you don't comply.. the negative remark from her to her peers might be bad for your business as well..

PS - I don't think this is an over the top request
PPS - If you have any deliverable owe, such as album, I would pretend not to know about this from the MIL, and ask the person who signed the contract for the status, if they still want it. If not, have them confirm that you have fulfilled your contractual obligation.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:53 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

One thing is for sure... under NO CIRCUMSTANCE would I call the other vendor and ask THEM to take the images down.

I would NOT contact anyone else and have any conversations about your client with them. The last thing I'd want to do is do something that might result in upsetting someone who might be in a pretty volatile emotional state and cause them to either sue me, or badmouth me on Facebook or who knows where else.

Personally I woudl write back to the MOG WITHOUT QUOTING HER WORDS, and ask for a phone number you can call. When you call her I would NOT REPEAT what was said to me and I would stick to a script along the following lines:

"I have received your email. I am very sorry to hear what happened. I thought long and hard about what course of action to take to help you out while at the same time not jeopardizing my business and I have decided to make sure there are NO REFERENCES to either client's names anywhere on my site. Nobody will find my images by doing a search. I would love to remove the images but I cannot risk upsetting someone who clearly has no regard for others and jeopardize my livelyhood and my other clients. I hope you understand and thank you so much for your kind words"

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:55 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

sboerup wrote:
I think too often photographers look at this from a contract point of view, to found out "am I legally obligated to remove this?" View it from the clients side, are they being completely unreasonable with their request? Make them happy and it'll pay off in the end.

Here's a problem with that line of thought. The one asking IS NOT the client.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Graceology
• •
[X]
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

The good thing is that all items have been delivered to the client (Bride and Groom) There are no outstanding products that is owed to anyone. The family does not live in my state so referral from them is not going to be a huge issue, the photos speak for themselves. In the photos you see a beautiful, happy couple...That is also what my potential clients see when they view my website. @Lisa78 very well said and I see what you are saying in that the request did not come from the main person who was hurt in this crazy Jerry Springer show.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:02 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Graceology wrote:
The good thing is that all items have been delivered to the client (Bride and Groom) There are no outstanding products that is owed to anyone. The family does not live in my state so referral from them is not going to be a huge issue, the photos speak for themselves. In the photos you see a beautiful, happy couple...That is also what my potential clients see when they view my website. @Lisa78 very well said and I see what you are saying in that the request did not come from the main person who was hurt in this crazy
...Show more

That's not what I meant.

I meant that your client is the BRIDE (you said so in an earlier post)

Besides... something like 60% of people cheat at some point... or that's what a study I heard on the radio said.

If I had to remove the images from every couple where one gets caught playing hide the salami with the wrong chick/dude that would quickly become a full time job.

by going along with this whole thing you would be doing something detrimental for your client, implicitly accepting the story as true (who knows if the hubby didn't cheat on the bride a year earleir and she took him back) ...

I WOULD NOT start playing those games. Who are you to judge?

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:10 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

Email the bride and remind her that you are always there in case she decides to get married again !!

I once had a bride who did that. I didn't judge her. I booked her, the photos were great and life went on.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:30 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Mother In Law wants photos taken down from our site: Need advice

What a terrible situation for everyone...

Remove the photos from your website, but if they are really *that* good then bust them out at client meetings if you keep a separate gallery for this purpose...

Also, what a bi*ch

Also: "Besides... something like 60% of people cheat at some point... or that's what a study I heard on the radio said"
----I really hope that is not true!!

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:44 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.