Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Red Rover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I found a local seller with the lens I am looking for. Something put me off that he didn't have the box for the lens. It wasn't so much that the lens wouldn't come with that beautiful gold Nikon box, but rather the vibe that I picked up when talking to him, even though I can't say anything specific other than "no box".

Is this silly? Do you consider the box as a value when reselling if you decide not to keep the lens? Are you the practical sort who just wants the lens and will pay what it's worth if it is excellent, even without the box? Will you buy anyway but try to get a better price?

I have a pending deal on the same lens here on FM; just waiting for the seller to invoice my PayPal. I paid $50 more than the local is asking, but the FM seller is highly regarded here and confirms the quality of the lens as well as that the factory box is included. Plus, I don't have to drive an hour each way and meet a guy in a public place with almost $1000 cash on me.

It's not so much that I will get the box here on the forum, it is more about the vibe I get from the seller because they took care of the lens AND included the box in the sale.

Does this make any sense?

PS I am really enjoying FM forum and like that I can get the $1450+ lens for about 62% of the new price from a seller who is highly regarded among knowledgable members. I have a PM to another seller of the other lens I want and his asking price is 62% of the new price also. .Gotta like that!

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

First off, I personally don't care about the box - however, I'd want it just because it seems like everyone else cares if they have the silly thing when you go to sell.

I think more importantly is to trust your gut on this one - if something doesn't seem right, it's well worth the $50 more.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:54 PM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #3 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Maybe I am silly too, but I would not buy a lens without the box from anyone but a close friend as I would probably know the history of the item. Paying $50 more for the lens with the box from a well respected member of this forum would be a "no brainer" for me.

Aug 06, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #4 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Could be a stolen item without the box.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:05 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.1 #5 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

i'd prefer a box to be honest, just to have the complete set when one buys. I've seen people buying boxes from others just to complete the "set". I get the same vibe you have btw (about caring for the lens etc)

I keep my boxes.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:35 PM
DaveyDonut

p.1 #6 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I keep all my boxes but I really only do so for resale value. I guess I don't care so much about the box myself, but to me it does seem to at least imply another level of "I care about my equipment," for some reason... care enough to keep the box. I don't know if that's based in reality, but it feels good. But I've purchased plenty of mint lenses without the box. If it's a lens I just want to try out, I'd definitely prefer the box because it improves resale value.

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:49 PM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #7 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

DaveyDonut wrote:
I keep all my boxes but I really only do so for resale value. I guess I don't care so much about the box myself, but to me it does seem to at least imply another level of "I care about my equipment," for some reason...

Agreed - when selling it is one additional factor to differentiate your item from the masses. When buying, caveat emptor applies...it's as easy to buy a beat up item in a box as without.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Jim Casteel
• • •
p.1 #8 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I prefer the box but would purchase with or without. I recently purchased a 105mm vr, I knew it didn't come with the box. I got a good deal on it and it is in great condition. Oddly enough it was shipped to me in a D300s box... The seller must not have cared about any of his boxes.

I personally have purchased boxes for a few products because the value increases by far more than the cost of the box. It is just how we play the game.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:24 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I like to have the box to complete the set. Local camera stores in Chicago rarely sell a used lens with a box.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #10 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

This is easy. At some point in the future when you decide to sell the item, you will get more for it when you have the box. So it is preferable to get it with box now, and if it costs a little more, well you will recoup that when you sell.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I freely admit that having the box adds a certain cachet of 'care having been taken', but to ascribe a financial value to the box alone is pure bourgeoise.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:12 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.1 #12 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

When the box starts taking pictures then I will get excited about it!

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:20 PM
treacle
• •
p.1 #13 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Camera items are easier to resell with a box as they seem more cared for and unlikely to be of questionable history. But saving some money on gear has it's advantages too.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:23 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #14 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

I'd much rather pay less for a lens without the box. I buy lenses to use, not to re-sell.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:39 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #15 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

When the box starts taking pictures then I will get excited about it!

Well, you can make a camera out of the box: How to Make and Use a Pinhole Camera

John

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:49 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #16 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Red Rover wrote:
I found a local seller with the lens I am looking for. Something put me off that he didn't have the box for the lens. It wasn't so much that the lens wouldn't come with that beautiful gold Nikon box, but rather the vibe that I picked up when talking to him, even though I can't say anything specific other than "no box".

Is this silly? Do you consider the box as a value when reselling if you decide not to keep the lens? Are you the practical sort who just wants the lens and will pay what it's worth
...Show more

No. I'm a photographer, not a collector.

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:34 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #17 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

The original Box with all the packing is a great item to have if you need to send the lens into nikon for any kind of repair.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:48 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #18 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Never cared for the box. What the hell would I want another box to add to my collection for? I don't think I've bought a used lens that came with the box.

Aug 06, 2012 at 08:53 PM
kipkeston
• •
p.1 #19 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

If you did an analysis asking whether a box is predictive of a high quality lens and smooth transaction, my hunch is you would find nothing significant. It's always touchy feely with sales though.

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:23 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Does The Box Matter To You When Buying Used?

Box means nothing to me... Confidence in the seller is another subject... If it does not seem right don.t buy it...

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:04 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password