New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · bracket

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · bracket

anyone still using them?? I am looking at the Custom Bracket Pro-M. The kit is $379 plus I assume you need to buy a cord. Recommendations?? It seems like they arent as popular as they once were. I work alone (mostly events) and just want to move the flash off the camera to help with the shadows. Any other benefits to using a bracket?? Negatives??. I will use it with a gripped D700, 24-70 and SB 900 and eventually the SB 910. thanks

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:44 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · bracket

if there's nothing to bounce off of (which is typical with some types of event photography), then sure, go with a bracket...Personally, if you can bounce, a bracket is 100% useless....i just HATE brackets that stick the flash way up high...personally if i HAD to use a bracket it would be one like this.... http://www.custombrackets.com/products/camera-flash-brackets/cb-mini-rc.html

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5142/5631130130_f638340031_b.jpg

Edited on Aug 06, 2012 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · bracket

the negative side to brackets is they make your camera + lights huge and obnoxious to carry around.

I can sling a SLR over my neck and shoulder with a speedlight attached and be ok. I can't do the same with a bracket- you'll get snagged on stuff, people and doorways.

The cheapo stuff from Tiffen (it was once a big deal brand, but I forgot the name) works fine, just use blue locktite on any threads for mounting plates or flash brackets.

Ultra expensive brackets make no sense to me as they're just going to get beat to hell and even if they flex a bit, they're still less shaky than you are. I'm going to guess you're not using a flash bracket on a tripod either for event photography.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:33 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · bracket

I have been using them forever for weddings and fill flash outdoors. It gets the light higher and keeps the light over the lens. You can still bounce by adjusting your flash head. A bracket prevents a nasty shadow on the side when shooting verticles. There are so many to choose from. I use a Stroboframe 350. If you are using a Nikon TTL cord, screw it directly into the hole on the top (remove the stupid shoe, which tends to crack anything plastic that is inserted into it). Promaster makes a fine TTL cord which is shorter than the Nikon but without the infared sensor that sits in the hotshoe.

Check out the lighting forum where this is discussed. I still use a camera strap and face the rig forward on my chest. Or, I can hang it to the side when just talking and let the rig dangle down.

Aug 06, 2012 at 10:47 AM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · bracket

thanks guys.

Aug 06, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Scott Grant
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · bracket

I tried using a bracket for weddings once or thrice. It is now enjoying a lonely life at the bottom of a container of worthless accessories I've been stupid enough to purchase over the years.

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:41 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · bracket

Scott Grant wrote:
I tried using a bracket for weddings once or thrice. It is now enjoying a lonely life at the bottom of a container of worthless accessories I've been stupid enough to purchase over the years.

Hahahaha my dad used to shoot weddings up untill the late 90's...pentax 645, vivitar 283 on a stroboframe with a battery pack (NOT bouncing)....you know the drill....well when i started shooting weddings he offered to buy me a flip bracket...i politely declined....def not my style at all...haha

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · bracket

boshek wrote:
anyone still using them?? I am looking at the Custom Bracket Pro-M. The kit is $379 plus I assume you need to buy a cord. Recommendations?? It seems like they arent as popular as they once were. I work alone (mostly events) and just want to move the flash off the camera to help with the shadows. Any other benefits to using a bracket?? Negatives??. I will use it with a gripped D700, 24-70 and SB 900 and eventually the SB 910. thanks

I tried many brackets and the Custom Bracket Pro-M is what I settled on. I use it all the time. I got the quick relase clamp for Arca-Swiss style QR plates.

Aug 07, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.