Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thank you!

FrancisK7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Thank you!

I've been lurking these forums for over four years. I've spent the last five years shooting babies and fashion models. Was a second shooter a few times for a few weddings, but wedding photography was a niche that always scared me. This week-end I shot my first wedding as primary photog and loved the experience. Enjoyable enough that I'll be hunting more second shooter positions to gain more experience (and hopefully, the Genesis workshop next year if there is one) and hopefully shoot weddings more regularly in the foreseeable future.

I just wanted to thank all the photogs who have shared their work and advice in this forum. From Spencer's and Tony's Workflow DVD all the way down to singular advice offered in threads and posts, this place is a gold mine of information and it has helped me and my business grow tremendously.

So, a heartfelt thank you!

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:46 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Thank you!

Welcome and good luck!

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:50 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #3 · Thank you!

Cheers! I lurked on this forum and a few others for quite a while before eventually settling down with an account. Several weddings later, I've got a good idea of what I want out of the profession and have made it a priority from the start to give back whatever knowledge I could. Keep up the good work : D

Aug 06, 2012 at 04:57 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Thank you!

Shooting babies huh? Welcome!

Aug 06, 2012 at 05:37 AM
mbpautz762
• •
p.1 #5 · Thank you!

pics or it didn't happen!

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:51 PM
mbpautz762
• •
p.1 #6 · Thank you!

just kidding...though seriously would love to see you post some photo. Congratulations! I'm a lurker myself

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #7 · Thank you!

Welcome! (Heck, you've probably been reading this forum longer than I have.) Let's see a few from last weekend!

And hoo, wee, the anthem that opens on your site is unconventional for weddings. Interesting, and it certainly conveys a different brand image. Don't let people talk you out of it just because it's unusual.

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

FrancisK7

p.1 #8 · Thank you!

Ian Ivey wrote:
Welcome! (Heck, you've probably been reading this forum longer than I have.) Let's see a few from last weekend!

And hoo, wee, the anthem that opens on your site is unconventional for weddings. Interesting, and it certainly conveys a different brand image. Don't let people talk you out of it just because it's unusual.

I'm going through a rebranding right now, but yeah, I try to be different. The wedding market in Montreal is not as competitive as Western Canada, and definitely less competitive than anywhere in the states. There's definitely room for more wedding photogs, especially those who do (or try to do) things differently. I'm 25, a medical school dropout, so I definitely chose this profession. I love it, and I love working with people. Hopefully it'll prove useful!

Here are some of the shots I feel comfortable sharing. I was overall happy with the result, but will not do weddings again until I've switched systems. My K5 and limited primes have served me well in the studios, but Pentax has yet to get their shit together regarding a FF body and their AF system is the worse on the planet. The AF miss on some low-light shots made me livid when I saw the RAW open on my U3011.

I'm selling all my gear and switching to the D800, D700 as backup, 70-200VRII, 24-70 and 14-24 in January. I hope by then the D800 AF issues will be resolved. Eventually I want to add three 1.8G primes, the 85, 28 and 50. I was a proud Pentaxian for five years and the K5's DR is not to be frowned upon, but if I am to gain more experience and shoot more weddings, I need a more robust AF system. Plus, FF will grant me more DoF, more pixel real estate should I need to crop and those viewfinders... ohh those big, bright viewfinders... what's not to love?

12. AF missed... I was livid. I could try Topaz InFocus or FocusMagic, but not sure whether it could help.

Thanks for looking!

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:25 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #9 · Thank you!

I'd appreciate an REI giftcard. PM for address.

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:28 PM
FrancisK7

p.1 #10 · Thank you!

swoop wrote:
I'd appreciate an REI giftcard. PM for address.

I can send you fresh Canadian maple syrup, and some cookies?

Aug 07, 2012 at 04:42 PM
JakePH

p.1 #11 · Thank you!

stevez32 wrote:
Shooting babies huh? Welcome!

You don't lead as much.

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:40 PM
JakePH

p.1 #12 · Thank you!

Francis, you did great! I wouldn't sweat too much over 12. You lost it, no biggie. If anything, use it as some creative out of focus shot.

Regards,
Jake

Aug 07, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #13 · Thank you!

Sucks about 12 -- those are the moments you just hold your head in your hands at home after you open it in lightroom.

Thanks for posting the set, mate. Enjoyed seeing it.

By the way, does the groom know he had a bunch of red stuff all over his tux?

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:45 PM
FrancisK7

p.1 #14 · Thank you!

It was a military wedding. They're both captains, and the venue was the Kingston Military College, where they met. He wanted to be in uniform for the ceremony but it was way too damn hot to wear all day so he and the bestman changed.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password